Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So indie had a vet check again today and she didn't see her regular vet.

I had told the other vet that she was on premade BARF and TOTW.

The vet I saw today said "I saw in her notes that she is on a special diet. What's she on that for?"

I was a bit lost for words I just said its not a special diet and left it at that lol.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Don't you wish that vets would attend nutrition classes as part of their regular ongoing education classes? Mine totally doesn't get why I won't feed the RC sold at her clinic, but we've decided to agree to disagree, and she leaves me alone now.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
LOL just because they don't agree with you, doesn't mean they don't. :)
Uni offers 6 nutrition classes for vet students over here (6 year study... and only 6 classes dedicated to food). Sponsored by... yeah.

Our previous vet didn't understand why I preferred raw food over kibble. Sigh. Well, whatever.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I once tried to explain The Honest Kitchen to a vet, who just didn't understand.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
I had told the other vet that she was on premade BARF and TOTW.
I know its an acronym, it made me laugh anyway. lol.

My mom thinks I'm insane because I actually look at the ingredients of my dog's kibble. I don't plan on telling her about the other foods we've looked into (Orijen and Acana). She'd think I lost it if I told her we thought about feeding kibble that had bison and boar in it!

·
Registered
943 Posts
I know its an acronym, it made me laugh anyway. lol.

My mom thinks I'm insane because I actually look at the ingredients of my dog's kibble. I don't plan on telling her about the other foods we've looked into (Orijen and Acana). She'd think I lost it if I told her we thought about feeding kibble that had bison and boar in it!
LOL, so you politely say to her that dogs should eat a variety in their diet and not just one type of meat, namely chicken. Presently, I think my dogs eat approximately 10 different types of animals on a weekly basis lol.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
LOL, so you politely say to her that dogs should eat a variety in their diet and not just one type of meat, namely chicken. Presently, I think my dogs eat approximately 10 different types of animals on a weekly basis lol.
I think it would be less the variety thing (she did grow up on a farm and their dogs got a wide variety of things) and more because, well, why would I spend that much money on pet food? Bison and boar aren't exactly budget-friendly meats, are they? Delicious, yes; affordable, no.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know its an acronym, it made me laugh anyway.
Lol I know it gets a lot of people that don't know about it. "what?!? You feed your dog spew?!?" LOLOL. Or my hubby doesnt listen properly and he thinks I says bath. He's like wah?!

My other vet also went on and said her dog does great on eukanuba and if your dog has weight troubles I should be trying that. Ah f*%k off. No way.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My vet agrees with the way I feed my dogs... but he still carries Hills crap.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Ive heard that from several people when they've asked what Bus eats (its one of the most popular questions), almost as if they think that if its not from the grocery store/walmart shelves its a special diet. One went so far as to tell me I should dump Buster because then I could pull a dog from the local shelter & save money since I could feed regular dog food (she feeds Purina or Pedigree, cant recall which). My vet had not heard of TOTW before I started using it with Buster but quickly checked it out during our appointment. Neither vet we see (same practice) has ever pushed food...not that I'll feed my food allergy boy RC.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Although they do carry the perscription foods from Hills etc (Why, for the comfort of their less open minded patients, who are stuck in their ways.) They also applaud me for feeding the way I do..

·
Registered
943 Posts
I think it would be less the variety thing (she did grow up on a farm and their dogs got a wide variety of things) and more because, well, why would I spend that much money on pet food? Bison and boar aren't exactly budget-friendly meats, are they? Delicious, yes; affordable, no.
Nope.. high quality kibble is too damn expensive here and that is why I no longer feed it. Way cheaper to feed my dogs variety with raw.

If you don't already shop there, I suggest trying G&E Pharmacy on Whyte Ave to buy kibble, it tends to be a little cheaper there. They carry most of the high quality brands there. Sometimes they run out of stuff though, but its worth checking out if you haven't already.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Nope.. high quality kibble is too damn expensive here and that is why I no longer feed it. Way cheaper to feed my dogs variety with raw.

If you don't already shop there, I suggest trying G&E Pharmacy on Whyte Ave to buy kibble, it tends to be a little cheaper there. They carry most of the high quality brands there. Sometimes they run out of stuff though, but its worth checking out if you haven't already.
Yeah, there is no way we can afford to feed Orijen (especially the Red), but it works GREAT as treats. Not quite as good as hot dogs, cheese, or freeze dried liver but aside from getting with 30ft of a dog (his threshold) it'll hold his attention. Feeding raw intrigues me but its something we'll have to look into in the future.

I will definitely check out G&E. I love pet stores. I must say though, we were very impressed with the Global Foods by our house. I was expecting Orijen to be expensive, but I also checked the price on Blue (because I know its sold at PetSmart) and the price was about the same at Global. (Plus its a 10 minute walk from our house, which is huge for us even though we have cars).

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yeah, there is no way we can afford to feed Orijen (especially the Red), but it works GREAT as treats. Not quite as good as hot dogs, cheese, or freeze dried liver but aside from getting with 30ft of a dog (his threshold) it'll hold his attention. Feeding raw intrigues me but its something we'll have to look into in the future.

I will definitely check out G&E. I love pet stores. I must say though, we were very impressed with the Global Foods by our house. I was expecting Orijen to be expensive, but I also checked the price on Blue (because I know its sold at PetSmart) and the price was about the same at Global. (Plus its a 10 minute walk from our house, which is huge for us even though we have cars).
I'm not familiar with Global, I've heard of them but I've never shopped at one. When I was in need of kibble I would make the trip to G&E, although it is not very far from Sherwood Park. I found the prices were a tad cheaper than the store here (Just Dogs) I would buy from if G&E didn't have in stock what I wanted.

G&E isn't your typical pet store, its a clusterf**ck of a place that carries all sorts of products for all kinds of animals and people as well. Kind of one of your mom and pop supply type stores. But they sell a wide variety of toys, treats and food for dogs at discounted prices. You would have to check out for yourself and see if the savings are actually worth the drive.

Yeah I've been doing %100 raw now for 6 months, previously was a partial raw, partial kibble and I just slowly made the transition to full raw and I have no complaints so far, definitely won't go back to kibble again that's for sure. Raw does take time, its not something you master quickly..and its not for everyone.. its a lot more work and effort but like everything else it becomes apart of the routine and getting past learning curves, etc.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yeah, I've even had vet techs tell me very candidly that raw diets were bad for dogs and that meat must be cooked....It saddens and frightens me that these are the people taking care of my dog o_o

·
Registered
232 Posts
Global Pet foods is BY FAR better tan any other pet store in Red Deer (we have Petland, Petsmart, Tailblazers, Fetch, and 2 Globals) And Global is the cheapest for the high quality foods. Petland charges almost $10 more for a 30lb bag of Orijen than Global does. Best part is? Global is a Canadian chain, each store independently owned.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Global Pet foods is BY FAR better tan any other pet store in Red Deer (we have Petland, Petsmart, Tailblazers, Fetch, and 2 Globals) And Global is the cheapest for the high quality foods. Petland charges almost $10 more for a 30lb bag of Orijen than Global does. Best part is? Global is a Canadian chain, each store independently owned.
Eh.. I'm originally from Red Deer.. born and raised.. well.. officially raised in Bentley, actually.

I wished I woulda checked out Global when I was still feeding kibble.. I think there is one in Sherwood Park also, but Just Dogs had reasonable prices, but G&E Pharmacy was by far the best that I could find.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
I didn't even know Petland was still around! They've always been bad for pretty much everything.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts