Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kira got spayed yesterday (7 months). She had a very bad night, randomly jumping about and completely spazzing every 2-3 minutes and not settling down (I spent half the night in the recliner downstairs and she actually went on my lap, which she NEVER does, so needless to say, I'm scratched everywhere and didn't get much sleep, she's a pretty hefty 36 lbs girl). Panting like crazy.

I read it's pretty normal, she ate and drank fine this morning, I was finally able to give her some pain meds, she'll follow me outside but she still won't pee or poop... but then she walks and her collar gets stuck and she just stops moving and sits there for like 30 seconds. I'm feeling horrible for her. She just spent 5 minutes just whining and spazzing on the couch, now she's lying in the recliner, once again painting like crazy.

The vet will call this morning for an update so I'll tell her what's going on, but how was your dog's recovery?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Sorry to hear of her situation; definitely get back to the vet; when Molly was spayed at 5mths she came home and had no issues at all. Acted just as she did prior to the surgery; only thing that happened was the second week was she kept licking her incision which was glued vs stitched and had to take her in for a check but all was ok, they just fixed the little spot and else happened. Hopefully all will be ok in her check out by the vet; see what he says about medication, anathesia (spelling?) reactions, etc.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She still feels uncomfortable. I think the pain meds don't last the whole 24 hours and she really hates that e-collar (but would just chew her stitches otherwise). She's been very restless at night, spent most of the night on the recliner with me again... but lots of energy when I take her out to pee and eating well (she's been peeing and pooping mostly normally since yesterday afternoon).

She's probably going a bit insane stuck in this room all day too. It's going to be a tough 2 weeks. She's a pretty hyper puppy typically (she can walk 2.5 miles and still have zoomies).

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The restlessness could be the aftereffects of the anesthesia they used.

Frankly, of all the animals I've had spayed and neutered (dogs and cats), none of them has ever needed an Elizabethan collar. Sometimes, I think they can cause as many issues as they prevent. I'd take it off, and see how she does. If she really does start chewing (not just licking a bit) at her sutures, you can maybe look into other options, like a Bite Not collar (looks like a cervical collar) or one of those inflatable collars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.