Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually get dogs from a shelter and even as puppies come spayed/neutered. I just got my first pure bred dog from a breeder. She's a boerboel. I have no intentions on breeding her myself and wanted to avoid her going into heat for various reasons. I planned to have her spayed between 6 and 8 months, but have been reading that may not be best. Espcially because she is a giant breed dog.

What are your thoughts with reasons on the matter?

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
I wouldn't spay a giant breed until probably around aged 2+ years. They aren't even done growing until around 2 years old and having the appropriate hormones is very important to joint development and general proper growth.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I wouldn't spay a giant breed until probably around aged 2+ years. They aren't even done growing until around 2 years old and having the appropriate hormones is very important to joint development and general proper growth.
Completely agreed. The biggest reason not to is that the hormones can affect the growth. When dogs (and humans) are growing their growth plates (at the ends of the bones) haven't "closed" which means they aren't attached yet. Obviously affecting growth unnaturally (like removing the hormones present in an unaltered female), isn't the most healthy thing. In a giant breed, like a Boerobel there is a lot of weight for those bones to bear, and if they haven't developed properly it can cause stresses on the bones and joints, something that can affect them throughout their lives. Also, something to keep in mind, with the growth of the dog, you have to also watch for levels of activity and exercise to make sure to not traumatize the developing joints when they are still developing.

There are a lot of things you can do to help deal with a female in heat, there are even doggy undies to help with the blood. The only other thing to deal with is keeping her away from intact males during heat. It is a pain in the butt, but is very worth it and can very much help the dog's long term health IMO.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Absolutely agree with this. Because she is a large breed, she needs those sex hormones to grow properly. Please rethink getting her spayed before she turns 2 years old.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Am with the others on waiting until maturity for growing, the other thing to consider is talking to your vet if they will be able to do it for the size of the breed at an older age.. I was shocked to find out my local country vets can not facilitate a large breed dog for procedures. They will not spay an older or larger breed dog.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Am with the others on waiting until maturity for growing, the other thing to consider is talking to your vet if they will be able to do it for the size of the breed at an older age.. I was shocked to find out my local country vets can not facilitate a large breed dog for procedures. They will not spay an older or larger breed dog.
Really? We just neutered a 183 pound Mastiff. He was having some problems with his parts and last resort the owner did was to get him neutered to see if the problems would go away. He was a big boy but 3 girls managed to get him up on the table and prepare him for surgery. Oh yes, there was an 'accidental' litter at his house for sale.

Today it was a 4 year Great Dane at only a 115 pounds.

This was shocking for me to read.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Really? We just neutered a 183 pound Mastiff. He was having some problems with his parts and last resort the owner did was to get him neutered to see if the problems would go away. He was a big boy but 3 girls managed to get him up on the table and prepare him for surgery. Oh yes, there was an 'accidental' litter at his house for sale.

Today it was a 4 year Great Dane at only a 115 pounds.

This was shocking for me to read.
I was thinking the same....I've never heard of that being an issue, although I have heard of the odd clinic that only does small animals (and that doesn't necessarily include large dogs). As for age, I've only ever heard of there being potential problems having an older pet under anesthesia for any reason.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
That is why I mentioned it... to have a good long talk with your current vet and not just take it for granted for finding the right vet for the procedure for an older larger breed compared to a small puppy and what experience/facility makes a difference for the out come..

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
It has been a weird spay/neuter week. The Mastiff was one of them. Today started with a C-section. She could not afford the price of the e-vet so she sat in our parking lot till we opened. She had a 20 pound Chihuahua mix that was clearly in labor. Pushing and straining. One pup and it did not make it. :( the owner said she never planned on her male and female Chihuahuas to mate. Very expensive birth that resulted in no puppies. Later today a dog come in that the owners had bred a few times. It was a mini bulldog (I stopped arguing with people about what they have) and we thought she had a pyo because she had a discharge. Opened her up and good thing we did. She had cystic ovaries that were huge. The cystic ovaries weighed a whopping 4 pounds 13 ounces. The poor dog hopefully will feel so much better. Just a weird week.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
I've always heard that spay or neuter for a very large (or extremely small) dog costs more. Makes sense well enough. But I've never heard that a S/N couldn't be done on a healthy dog based on the dog's weight. I mean, there are other surgeries that dog's need from injuries etc and the vets cope fine with those. A friend's Great Pyr weighing about 150 lbs had ACL surgery recently, no one blinked an eye at the dog's weight.

It is worth checking with your local vets for sure, but I'd look further for a vet if one said they couldn't fix a dog over 100 lbs for example ( 100 lbs being kinda the beginning of the larger to giant breed sizing)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts