Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 month old blue doberman. She's great, bad skin, but happy and go lucky.
I can NOT make up my mind when it would be best to spay her. Her vets wants to do it at 6 months, but I know this could potentially put her at risk for bone problems? Or am I wrong?
I have never dealt with a dog in heat before. But i'll do it if I have to. What is best in your opinion? Wait or get it done in 2 months?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Wait until 2 years if at all possible, let her body get the hormones it needs to develop properly. Getting through a few heat cycles shouldn't be that difficult, and I highly recommend giving her (cooled) raspberry leaf tea during her cycles to help her body clean everything out.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I would do whats best for you and your pup. Faith we let her have 1 cycle and got her spayed right after. Hope never had one and neither will Charlie.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I spoke to the Vet about it when Zoey was reaching the time at around 6 months old and she saw no reason to not do it. She felt there were no health benefits to waiting but Zoey is a medium sized dog (33 lbs) so that may be the difference. I say talk to the Vet and do what's best for your situation and dog.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts