Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 6 month old puppy was spayed 10 days ago (stitches come out today, yay!) and, since then, we've had some issues with her house training.

Research online indicates lapses in house training are not uncommon after a female dog is spayed, but when I say we're having problems with house training, I don't mean that she's having accidents in the house. I mean that, since being spayed, she's not been able to sleep through the night - which she was able to do as a pro for months before she was spayed. We go to bed at 10 pm, cut her water off between 7 pm and 7:30 pm the night before, but she has consistently been waking up and whining around 3 am (when we have always gotten up with her at 6 am since we got her at 10 weeks). In addition to waking up at 3 am, she begins whining again around 5, which she has never done; even when house training her, she would go back to sleep after we took her out in the middle of the night and wake up at 6 with us again or play in her kennel until we got her out. I find it incredibly difficult to believe that she has to go to the bathroom again at 5 am (and she usually does just dink around for a bit before going); however, I'm not keen on ignoring that type of whining from her.

My questions:

1. Is there a light at the end of this tunnel? Or will we be getting up at 3 or so every morning for a long time after spaying?

2. Should we be ignoring any of her whining? I mean, since we knew she could hold it before spaying, should we be ignoring her at 5 am or even at 3 am, as well? I feel like there's some possibility that she's trained us to let her out whenever she's whining....

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
It is possible that she's still uncomfortable from the surgery and because of that, is sleeping more lightly then before. I'd ask the vet to have a look at her when she gets the stitches out for any indication that she's not healing well. Its generally easier for a dog to "hold it" when sound asleep than if they are awake or awoken. I notice that if something wakes up my adult dogs in the night-- a plane overhead for example-- that they will ask to go outside and actually both pee while there, which wouldn't be needed at all if they hadn't been woken up at an unusual time.

Be careful about cutting off water too early, since not drinking enough water can lead to UTIs. So, I would also ask the vet if a UTI might be a concern.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Is it possible that because of the spaying and restrictions after surgery (no running, jumping, playing, etc) that she is simply not as tired right now as she was before? I know my 6-mo-old pup was on crate rest for almost two months for a twisted knee and during that time she was also spayed (so she wouldn't be on even more crate rest later). By the time we got to the end of the physical restrictions from the knee and the spay surgery, she could barely sleep at night because she was so desperate to run and play and be a puppy -- she wasn't getting as tired out no matter how much mental exercise was provided, so she would wake up during the night. Once she was back to playing and running and being able to go on hikes and whatever else she enjoyed from before all the restrictions, she went back to sleeping through the night and even sleeping in some mornings. So I just wonder if you need to get your pup cleared for activity by the vet and then when she can be active again, you will probably (hopefully!) see her sleep better again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts