Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is due to be spayed in the next month or so and I plan to have a prophylactic gastropexy done at the same time. Several vets and animal hospitals in my area perform the surgery with enough regularity that I wasn't asked "a prophylWHAT?" when I called. However, I'm wondering if it's better to have it done conventionally or laparoscopically.

One vet I spoke with said she prefers the conventional method because it's faster. Others have said the lap is preferable due to the smaller incisions and quicker recovery.

Any advice or suggested reading?
Thanks!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Just curious what breed do you have? I have been reccommended to have this done for my dog (hes only 15 weeks, a Bernese Mt dog) -- but since he is a male the issues are a bit different (the testes of course are not internal!) -- but def. would love info/ hear others' experiences around the lap procedure since that does sound way less invasive....

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just curious what breed do you have? I have been reccommended to have this done for my dog (hes only 15 weeks, a Bernese Mt dog) -- but since he is a male the issues are a bit different (the testes of course are not internal!) -- but def. would love info/ hear others' experiences around the lap procedure since that does sound way less invasive....
I have a standard poodle and I know that dogs in her family (grandparent / great grandparent) have produced dogs who bloated. Plus, I'm a worrywart - if I can reduce my bloat worry just a little, it's worth it.

Have you posted pictures of your pup? Berners are such gorgeous dogs.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Thanks I do think he is gorgeous but have not figured out how to do that yet! And yes I do think preventing Bloat is worth it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts