Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to get some estimates on spay prices. I haven't had to get a dog spayed in a long time. I am going to call around to the local vets and was wondering what prices are normal. Thanx

·
Registered
55 Posts
Have you tried animal shelters? Here in Houston, we have SNAP, it's government funded and I think it costs around $60. My vet costs about double that. The shelters and non-profit orgs are around the same price. You might also want to check and see if they have any special days coming up at your local shelter for free spay and neuter procedure, we just had one here in Houston. I think it was free for the first 100 or 200 dogs and cats. A lot of shelters will post their prices online. If you're thinking about going to a vet, expect to pay double or more.

·
Banned
894 Posts
I was looking to get some estimates on spay prices. I haven't had to get a dog spayed in a long time. I am going to call around to the local vets and was wondering what prices are normal. Thanx
My poor eyes!!

In my area prices range from free (for pits and rotties at the ASPA, $80 for other breeds) to $500+ with blood tests, chipping, etc. at a suburban private vet. I paid about $450 (including extras) from my vet. but many get it done for much less.

·
Registered
467 Posts
$56 at the spay/neuter clinic, and if someone doesn't think they can afford it, they'll work with you.

They also give the necessary shots if you need them, but since our dog didn't need them, I have no idea what they cost.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Pebbles spay was right around $150 that did not include blood tests, but did include a tooth extraction (broken canine tooth) and pain meds.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Wow, I have never heard of a rescue in our area doing their own spay/neuters. Our rescue gets a small discount from the local vets and that is only if they agree to use them for a minimum of a month. I paid over $300.00 Cdn for my dogs (15 & 18 lbs) a year ago. I declined to have the blood work done but I paid an extra $100.00 to have hips and elbows xrayed, so I paid over $400.00 each.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I live in suburban New England and the vet prices are pretty high. I paid close to $400 (or a little over I can't remember) for Chloe's spay and microchip. Her pre-spay exam and bloodwork were an extra $80, and the microchip was on "special" for $29.99... so I guess it was around $370. This included a night's stay at the vets and pain meds sent home with us.

Our local MSPCA, which runs the SNAP program (low cost spay & neuter) will not give vouchers for purebred dogs. I did not ask for one, as I could afford it on my own, but I did call to inquire about it and they said because she was a purebred pug she wouldn't qualify - and they didn't ask if I rescued her or adopted her from a shelter, it is a straight up policy.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I'm in rural New England and the prices are *Gasp* outrageous. One clinic I called was $400 or more. I'm waiting until I move to Colorado to have Lily spayed, at that it's close enough to home I can go to my hometown vet who charges about $150 (with bloodwork, it's about $80 without) and I trust her, she's been our horse vet for about 15 years. Since I'll be down there anyway visiting family and I have to take my dogs with me lol.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Could you please stick with the standard colored font? It hurts my eyes to read your two posts!

For one of my dogs, it was $250, for the other one, a larger one it was $300, after the blood testing, pain reliever, etc.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
At the shelter here it's only $30.. but we're taking Zoey to the vet's office. The surgery there will be $103 for the spay, and then a little more for blood tests and chipping.. I'm not sure how much extra though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry about the font colors. It's a habit :) But thanx everyone. I will call vets in my area now. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't paying too much. Our local animal shelters don't do spays and neuters :(

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
We just spayed our mutt for $124. The price they QUOTED me was only $86, and despite the fact she was tested not more than a month ago and on heart guard, they snuck the heart worm test in and charged me way too much for it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts