Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took my year old dog to get spayed yesterday and she had developed a hernia over the past week that they took care of at the same time. She is wearing a collar so she cant lick or chew at her incision. She is only 6 pounds and the collar freaks her out every time she tries to move. She rested most of last night in her crate but today has been horrible. She won't drink but did eat some soft food. I have been giving her the medication for pain and the antibiotic. All day she has been trembling and I can't seem to make her comfortable. I have held her most of the day taking her outside to use the bathroom but she will not go. She has not done either since I took her 30 hours ago. The surgery site looks good but her little belly looks so full and hard. I am so worried but after reading some other posts I know it is not time to freak out yet. I am forcing water into her in small amounts every 30 minutes because I fear her getting dehydrated. Looking for some advice please.

She also wants to only lay on her side. She wont stay in any standing position.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Sometimes the collar upsets them more than the surgery. Have you tried taking it off for a while, just watching carefully so she won't bother her incision? A lot of dogs don't like to eat with the collar on. You can put a tube sock or baby onesie over her tummy, she might accept that better than the collar. If she's still constipated tomorrow, call the vet and ask if there's anything you should give her to ease things along. It's not rare for them to not have to go (due to fasting before the surgery) for a while, though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much Willowy for your quick reply. The idea about using a onesie is outstanding! I am off to the store right after this to get a few. She did finally go pee :).
Since they like to smell their spot before they go, that was a challenge as she is so low to the ground already that the cone got in her way. I take the cone off when I am holding her, which seems to have been all day today. If she is allowed to be left unheld, she goes right to the surgery site and licks at it. I have 2 other dogs that I have had spayed and they just were not this difficult so I tend to be more worried about her. I will let you know how the onesie works! Thank you again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts