Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Not everyone here supports manditory S/N. In fact you'll find many here have fought against it because it's nearly unenforcable just as BSL is.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK If you do not support it, do not sign it.. There may be quite a few people here that do feel there are too many animals in kill shelters all over the country that do not belong there, and will support the cause...

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
My dear, I work in rescue and I know how many dogs are in shelters. However I don't support mandatory S/N for the reasons I mentioned and others. The bill you're pushing will do NOTHING to help stop puppymills or ByB from pumping out dogs, it only hurts RESPONSIBLE breeders and forces RESPONSIBLE owners to S/N too early. It also puts an unnessesaey strain on AC to enforce laws such as this, costing money that could be spent in better ways to help animals. This bill is also sponsered by PETA and HSUS which does almost nothing to help animals and have an agenda to end "animal slavery" aka pet ownership.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Percent of dogs spayed by their owners in the U.S = 75%

Number of dogs total in the U.S. = 75 million

Number of cats AND dogs euthanized in shelters:

1970 = 23 million
1980 = 15 million
1990 = 6 million
2002 = 4 million

Percent of the total dog population that die in shelters annually, assuming the current demand for dogs stays the same = 5%

Top 10 reasons dogs end up in shelters.

Mandatory S/N does nothing to address the major reasons why dogs end up in shelters nowadays, since 9 out of 10 reasons are the result of behavioral problems, poor planning or economic issues, not because there are not enough people that want pet dogs, or because too many dogs are being born.

Only 10-20% of dogs in the U.S come from shelters, so what really needs to happen is better marketing of shelter dogs, and better pet owner education. Passing intrusive S/N laws do not address any of those issues.

It has been shown in many studies that health problems can occur in some breeds if S/N happens too early. Many large breeds should be allowed to fully mature before being spayed, but most S/N laws force people to alter their pets at 4 to 6 months old, before their dogs have even grown up. S/N is a medical decision between an owner and their vet, not something that outsiders should force on them.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have mixed emotions about this subject. I work in rescue too and I cry almost every day because there aren't enough of us to save the millions. We were already killing an incredible number of animals before the economy went south and the numbers being killed now are absolutely staggering. When I'm walking through the shelters and looking at the victims, they ain't wearing signs around their neck that says where they came from but I can guarantee you that all breeders, whether professional or not, are fairly represented in the shelters. They just need to stop!!

I agree that we can't enforce the laws that are on the books now but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to see a spay and neuter law added to all those other unenforcible laws we already have. If you live in California, you know that the state is bankrupt and resources are dwindling. We're looking at paying a tax on our vet services to boost revenues so if you think the state, county or city is going to spring for additional resources to police a spay and neuter law, think again.

Breed specific laws were made possible by irresponsible pet owners. The ASPCA agrees and cites that 70% of all dog bite cases involve unneutered male dogs; 97% of dogs involved in fatal dog attacks in 2006 were not spayed/neutered; 78% were not viewed as pets but rather for guarding, fighting or breeding. I think it stands to reason that if people spayed and neutered their pets, the need for BSL's would diminish greatly, if not disappear altogether.

I actually think the solution to our problem is to spay and neuter stupid people like irresponsible pet owners, all backyard breeders, all puppy mill owners and professional breeders that don't make sure that their buyers comply with spay and neuter agreements. Eliminating stupid people from the gene pool insures that this mentality isn't passed on to future generations. I know, I know, we don't have the resources.

I have a wonderful friend that is a professional breeder and she does her part to help the plight of so many unfortunate furbabies. She offers a discount to her prospective parents if they will agree to rescue a buddy for their new puppy from a shelter or non-profit rescue. Now that is very cool!

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I'm not sure how mandatory S/N is supposed to make a difference to the minority of owners who do not care for, socialize or train their dogs. Do you think that the fact that they don't S/N is what makes their dogs vicious, or is it the fact that those dogs' OWNERS are irresponsible and shouldn't own any animal, period?

75% of dog owners S/N, but you still think that 'If people spayed their pets, things would improve'.... but most already do. Lack of S/N is not what makes dogs vicious.

Would you consider that the possibility that dogs that bite aren't S/N may have more to do with the fact that their OWNERS are already so neglectful that they don't bother to S/N, along with all the other things they don't do for their dogs (like train)?

Bad owners = bad dogs, not lack of S/N.

Since you cannot legislate away bad owners, you can only educate people (especially kids) about proper animal care and help them become better pet owners. It worked with S/N education in the 1980s, just look at the huge drop in shelter numbers once S/N became the norm. Most people S/N their dogs VOLUNTARILY now. That shows that public education DOES work, and that most pet owners DO want to do right by their animals.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I have always s/n my pets at 6 mths. 2 dogs back we got from the RSPCA at 5.5 mths old & were told to bring him back at 6 mths to be neutered, which we did. That was about 25 yrs ago. When I was looking for a dog last year I went back to the RSPCA to have a look. They had a litter of 8 w/o puppies that were already s/n. After learning about early s/n & what it does to dogs I turned & ran. It is advised to let a bitch have one heat b4 being spayed, which I've done with Tilba. She will be spayed in March at 14 mths old.
It's only the ppl who do the wrong thing that has caused early s/n to be done. It's not going to stop them from breeding their dogs to make it a law.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Let me know when the petition comes up to oppose this and I will gladly sign.

OK If you do not support it, do not sign it.. There may be quite a few people here that do feel there are too many animals in kill shelters all over the country that do not belong there, and will support the cause...
Huh? This doesn't even make sense. I feel there are too many animals in shelters all over the country that do not belong there. I do support the cause of helping those animals. I don't support mandatory s/n. Is there something I don't know about. Can you explain how if my male is forced to go through an unnecessary surgery all the many animals in kill shelters will disappear?

Breed specific laws were made possible by irresponsible pet owners. The ASPCA agrees and cites that 70% of all dog bite cases involve unneutered male dogs; 97% of dogs involved in fatal dog attacks in 2006 were not spayed/neutered; 78% were not viewed as pets but rather for guarding, fighting or breeding. I think it stands to reason that if people spayed and neutered their pets, the need for BSL's would diminish greatly, if not disappear altogether.
LOL I only wish that were true. I guess I shouldn't be laughing, its sad really. BSL won't disappear just because dogs are s/n. HSUS, PETA, scared general public, politicians, ect will never stop pushing for it. The people in my friends town (they've been fighting a good fight against BSL) could give a rats behind if Pits are s/n or not. They still want them gone. The crazed lady who wrote in the paper saying how Pits were like wild animals, or no single Pit has ever gone through its life without seriously injuring or killing someone :rolleyes: didn't say only intact Pits haven't done that nor do they care if a Pit is s/n. It is still a serial killer who has a blood lust. Some hate them or are really scared of them. Some want to ban Pits because a Lab was loose or a Cattle dog chased them. Because "what if it was a Pit" or "It could have been a Pit" These were there words at the council meeting, mainly that of a police officer. As if a Pit were running loose someone would have been killed or something. What an ignorant man. There haven't been attacks by Pits, including intact ones in their town. It is a really small town without much major dog issues. Sometimes there are loose dogs which might chase or bite people, but that rarely even happens. Usually just dogs running at large different breeds.

In your post 78% were for guarding, fighting or breeding but it doesn't say how many were for breeding. Obviously if a dog is used for guarding by most the uneducated general public is isn't going to be friendly, socialized, controlled and many times not even properly contained which is why its attacked someone.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Pai, you are absolutely right. I don't believe for one second that dogs are born vicious and I don't believe that all dogs that bite are vicious. Anybody that works in rescue knows this and probably sports the scars to prove it. There is no doubt in my mind that that irresponsible owners are the problem and unfortunately, they always will be. It's just like gun laws...the law abiding citizens will comply and the scumbags will continue to have guns and commit the crimes.

While way too many dogs and cats still die every day, it is evident from the statistics you provided that this country has come a long way in educating people. Education and the making low cost spay and neuters available are the two primary reasons for the significant drop in deaths since 1970. Wow, that 1970 statistic is sobering and it made me think about where I was in 1970. I was in my own world. Dogs were the last thing on my mind back then as I was a self absorbed teenager with my head up my butt. According to some people, I still have my head my butt but as an almost a senior (Denny's discount - woohoo), I look back and realize that life didn't begin until I shared mine with a dog and cat. That was 1973 and I've never spent a day without a dog or cat since and don't suppose I ever will. I just never thought I'd be living under the same roof with sooooo many. I tell ya, rescue work guarantees that you never get lonely and never get a place to sit on the sofa. :D

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
My dear, I work in rescue and I know how many dogs are in shelters. However I don't support mandatory S/N for the reasons I mentioned and others. The bill you're pushing will do NOTHING to help stop puppymills or ByB from pumping out dogs, it only hurts RESPONSIBLE breeders and forces RESPONSIBLE owners to S/N too early. It also puts an unnessesaey strain on AC to enforce laws such as this, costing money that could be spent in better ways to help animals. This bill is also sponsered by PETA and HSUS which does almost nothing to help animals and have an agenda to end "animal slavery" aka pet ownership.
ditto ditto dittoe

Generally, online petitions are in incredible annoyance. It's a way for people to feel like they are doing something without having to put in any REAL time/effort/energy/money. It's activism for the lazy, IMO.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts