Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My dog, Barney, started limping on his back left leg two days ago. However, he will do it while simply walking and within a minute or two, he is fine; he'll start walking, running, and playing as if nothing was wrong. On average, I would say he's been doing this about four or five times a day. Cramps, maybe? He's never done this before :confused:

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
How old is Barney? He looks like a toller from his pic. Is it always the same leg? You never see anything in the other leg or both at the same time? Put your hand on his hips and have him sit... see if you can feel any popping in the hip. If he has a lax hip on that side it could account for the sporadic limp that goes away with mobility.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Barney just turned 1 in November and yes, it is the same leg each time. It started two days ago. It's just so weird because it goes away as fast as it comes on.

I just tried what you suggested and I didn't feel or hear any popping.

FYI: We have snow here and our outside umbrella table fascinates him. He always jumps up on there and stands. My mother said the other day that he slipped a bit jumping down the other day due to the snow. Could this cause it?

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
That could absolutely cause it. I would suggest putting him on a good glucosamine chondroiten MSM (A natural anti inflamatory) for the next few weeks to see if that helps. I always use this one:

It is human grade and available at wal mart or costco for around $15.00

It will help the joint recover from the trauma but if after that time you still see no improvements then absolutely off to the vet. I don't think that a couple weeks trying this will cause any permanent damage. It it were broken or dislocated he absolutely would not be using it so freely.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Maggie has been doing the same thing for over a week on her front left leg. I took her to the vet yesterday and nothing is broken or out of joint.. She thinks Maggie just hurt a tendon or something. She called it a .. 'Soft tissue injury'... I think. And told me to give her 81 mg of buffered aspirin twice a day for 7 days and to restrict her exercise. So far she's still limping a bit, but it's only her first full day of aspirin so.. we'll see.. if it doesn't get any better we go back for Xrays.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maggie has been doing the same thing for over a week on her front left leg. I took her to the vet yesterday and nothing is broken or out of joint.. She thinks Maggie just hurt a tendon or something. She called it a .. 'Soft tissue injury'... I think. And told me to give her 81 mg of buffered aspirin twice a day for 7 days and to restrict her exercise. So far she's still limping a bit, but it's only her first full day of aspirin so.. we'll see.. if it doesn't get any better we go back for Xrays.
Binkalette,

Does it seem like only a cramp? Like it will happen all of the sudden and then go away like nothing ever happened? It's so weird!

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
Honestly Bink get her offa the aspirin and try the glucosamine chondroiten MSM. If you're masking the pain with aspirin then she is more likely to re-aggrivate the injury. A certain amount of pain is a good thing. It keeps the dog self limiting but by reducing the swelling (like the MSM will) you will reduce the pain since that is what generally causes the pain. I really don't like it when vets give advice like that as it is generally counter productive. We're smart enough to limit ourselves when we have a soft tissue injury and are on pain meds because we know it's there, a dog however if there is no pain then in their mind there's no injury hence the re-aggrivation.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Binkalette,

Does it seem like only a cramp? Like it will happen all of the sudden and then go away like nothing ever happened? It's so weird!
Yes, it's especially bad right when she wakes up or gets up from laying. As she moves around though it seems to get better and she stops limping.

Honestly Bink get her offa the aspirin and try the glucosamine chondroiten MSM. If you're masking the pain with aspirin then she is more likely to re-aggrivate the injury. A certain amount of pain is a good thing. It keeps the dog self limiting but by reducing the swelling (like the MSM will) you will reduce the pain since that is what generally causes the pain. I really don't like it when vets give advice like that as it is generally counter productive. We're smart enough to limit ourselves when we have a soft tissue injury and are on pain meds because we know it's there, a dog however if there is no pain then in their mind there's no injury hence the re-aggrivation.
Where do I get glucosamine chondroiten MSM? What does the MSM stand for? The vet told me to be sure not to give her tylenol or ibuprofen.. so as long as it doesn't have either of those in it. I'd still check with her before I gave it to Maggie of course...

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
MSM= Methylsulfonylmethane. It's an ALL NATURAL anti-inflamatory... no drugs init. I get it at wal mart, but I also heard it's at costco as well. The vet will likely tell you not to do it or it makes no difference but I wouldn't listen to that. Aspirin causes many problems with dogs ike stomach ulcers, liver and kidney issues, and in some cases can be toxic regardless of what vets say, do your OWN research, and NEVER blindly trust a vet unless you have like a 20 year relationship with them and they've never screwed anything up. I've been with my vet for 16 years and still question why he says or does what he does. Look at my previous post in this thread with the pic of the glucosamine Bink to know which one I get.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
MSM= Methylsulfonylmethane. It's an ALL NATURAL anti-inflamatory... no drugs init. I get it at wal mart, but I also heard it's at costco as well. The vet will likely tell you not to do it or it makes no difference but I wouldn't listen to that. Aspirin causes many problems with dogs ike stomach ulcers, liver and kidney issues, and in some cases can be toxic regardless of what vets say, do your OWN research, and NEVER blindly trust a vet unless you have like a 20 year relationship with them and they've never screwed anything up. I've been with my vet for 16 years and still question why he says or does what he does. Look at my previous post in this thread with the pic of the glucosamine Bink to know which one I get.
Okay thanks. I'll look for it tonight when we go to Wal-mart. We've got a 13 year relationship with our vet and I trust them for most things.. They do sell SD though and that put me off a bit, but they never try to push it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay thanks. I'll look for it tonight when we go to Wal-mart. We've got a 13 year relationship with our vet and I trust them for most things.. They do sell SD though and that put me off a bit, but they never try to push it.
What's SD? lol :confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh okay! Thanks for clarifying, lol :)

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
Yeah all vets generally carry SD prescription lines awyway. If they carry just regular SD then that would be a bit off putting. It would be nice however if they let people know that Royal Canin and other better brands put out veterinary formulas as well. Ya know your pup can use the glucosamine cocktail with any other meds for the most part since it is all natural it is pretty non-reactive with prescription or OTC meds that you might be using. Glad to hear that you have a long standing relationship with your vet. I see too many people put too much faith in vets without doing their own homework to even see if their vet is on the right track.

Hope both y'alls pups are feeling better real soon.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Jhazmyn acted like that when she first tore her CCL. Now she limps all the time. Hopefully in a few weeks that will all be taken care of soon!!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Aspirin, that's odd.

I never understand why any vet prescribes it for its antiinflammatory properties anymore? There are other NSAIDs that have a much lower rate of GI ulceration than aspirin. I mean, it's making huge comeback as an anti-thrombotic, but, that's at a SUPER low dose that wouldn't help pain at all.

Btw, dog shrink, thought you might be interested in this little abstract from a quick study done on a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement

I've heard several different people rec. cosequin

---------

Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, MD, USA.

OBJECTIVE: The purpose of this study was to determine the oral bioavailability and pharmacokinetics of a glucosamine (GL) and the disaccharides of chondroitin sulfate (CS) after single and multiple-dosing of a GL/CS combination (Cosamin, Cosequin). METHODS: Male beagle dogs (n = 8, 12 kg) received the following treatments: (1) IV GL (500 mg)/CS (400 mg), (2) p.o. GL (1500 mg)/CS (1200 mg), (3) p.o. GL (2000 mg)/CS (1600 mg), (4) p.o. GL (1500 mg)/CS (1200 mg) QD for days 1-7 and p.o. GL (3000 mg)/CS (2400 mg) from days 8 to 14. Blood samples were collected over 24 h and glucosamine and the disaccharides of chondroitin sulfate were determined. Pharmacokinetic analysis was performed on glucosamine and total chondroitin sulfate disaccharides and parameters were compared across treatments using ANOVA with post hoc analysis. RESULT: After the IV administration, glucosamine declined rapidly in a bi-exponential fashion with a mean (± S.D.) elimination t(1/2) of 0.52 (0.25) h. GL absorption was relatively fast (C(max) = 8.95 microg/ml, and T(max) 1.5 h after 1500 mg dose) and the mean bioavailability of glucosamine after single dosing was approximately 12%. The extent of absorption of chondroitin sulfate as indicated by the mean C(max) (21.5 microg/ml) and mean AUC (187 microg/ml h) of total disaccharides after dosing (1600 mg) provides evidence that chondroitin sulfate is absorbed orally. The bioavailability of CS ranged from 4.8 to 5.0% after single dosing and 200-278% upon multiple dosing. CONCLUSION: The results of this study show that both glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate (measured as total disaccharides) are bioavailable after oral dosing. In addition, the low molecular weight chondroitin sulfate used in this study displays significant accumulation upon multiple dosing. Copyright 2002 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
Thank you for that summary Mr.V. From how I interpret it it seems that they are saying it is effective right? I know that long term constant dosing is required to maintain a theraputic level in the dog as it has a fast blow off period and needs constant influx of the suppliment to maintain it's effectiveness as does any natural remedy. It needs to build up. If I'm off base here please correct me as I recommend this course of supplimenting often.

Second Mr. V I believe the OP's vet prescribed the course fo aspirin as a pain management option not so much as an anti inflamatory agent. As far as cosequin goes, if I can get a drug that is just as effective and a human grade with out the outrageous price the vet will charge for cosequin then I'll opt for the otc glucosamine cocktail.

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
Jhazmyn acted like that when she first tore her CCL. Now she limps all the time. Hopefully in a few weeks that will all be taken care of soon!!
If this were a CCL injury the limp would not go away with working the afflicted leg. The limp would likely remain constaat. My foster cocker Howie has an ACL/CCL tear that he has had for some time, and the movement in his gait from the injury is highly irregular from a normal gate of an uninjured dog.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It's possible that Barney has a luxating patella. This happens when the knee cap moves out of its normal position and at some point becomes painful causing the dog to limp or favor the leg. A lot of dogs with this condition experience intermittent lameness because the kneecap will often snap back into place. The dog will walk normally until it slips back out again. You usually see this a lot more frequently in toy breeds but this is also not uncommon in bigger breeds. Labs and Goldens seem to be over represented and my experience in rescue work has seen young Pit Bulls with this problem too. This condition does predispose a dog to more likely ccl/acl injuries as well as arthritis.

I've had two Pomeranians in the past that required surgery to correct the problem. Currently two of my dogs, a Pom and a Maltese have grade 2 luxation with no change in the last three years. I was unaware they even had this problem as neither showed any signs of discomfort or limp. An orthopedic surgeon advised that they could live out the rest of their lives without getting worse so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've provided a link to more detailed information on this condition:

http://www.workingdogs.com/vcpatlux.htm

Two of my elders were prescribed Cosequin by their vet and yikes it was expensive to buy from the vet. It is easy to find it online for much cheaper. I actually buy mine on ebay. It has helped my dogs' arthritis tremendously.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts