Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Feeling pretty guilty at the moment. It has been stuck on my mind for the past few days. Happened about a week ago, but my dog ran out my front door, refused to "come" and took off to a neighbors house and stole his tool bag and was playing catch me if you can. My dog never does this behavior but it could be because he is getting to that age. He is 9 months old.

I have always had problems with "come" with my dog as I have been trying to do the whole 6 foot leash training, 30 Foot lead training, etc. We are in training classes and attends Dog Daycare 5 times a week and we do dog training on Sunday (a paid class). We are in advanced dog training. :)

However, when he took off I gave him 2 spankings and pulled him into the house where I regretfully administered 2 more spankings. They weren't hard but just enough to where he was scared and yelped on 2 of them. Right after the spanking, we practiced come again so he would understand what I want. He was scared to come to me because I have never done this before. He came to me and I hugged and praised him and talked calmly. I let him go and practiced come again with out the leash in the house. He did excellent coming everytime. I gave him treats and praised him and tried to calm us down. I was frustrated and scared before because of the area I live in with fast cars and one hit would have ended his life.

Now, anytime he is sleeping or actively chasing a toy or anything, if I say "come," there is no hesitation with him. He comes on command. I tested when he was dead asleep and called him to me. He jumps up and runs to me.

I can't help to feel guilty. I read many forums that said spanking doesnt do the trick and over use of it really doesnt do anything. I still cant hide the guilt that I have when I see him but it actually worked.

This happened almost a week ago but it is still fresh on my mind. I thought I might share and hear some comments on it.

(Thanks to those who dont reply back with "oh, another spank dog thread.)

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Hey, on dog forums we talk about ideals because our furry companions deserve it. But no one is perfect, we sometimes over react, you appear to understand the error of your ways, and likely the offended (your dog) has already forgiven you. So take his lead and just let it go.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
we've all done it, so don't feel bad.

You might want to say "rover, come" then before he even has a chance to come, give him a light collar pop toward you. Try to get him to beat the collar pop. COME can save a dog's life.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like you were hurt more than your dog. Even raising kids we all have things we wish we would have done differently but if you got the dogs attention and he learned from it you may have just saved his life.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Hey, we're only human...fear and anger can make us do stuff we dont' like. It's a learning experience. You did the right thing by working more on his come cue afterwards and to continue to do so.
It's possible that the spanking didn't relate to the come command with him anyway..you'd already called him, chased him, grabbed him and brought him in before the physical punishment occurred. He would be more likely to associate the punishment with you grabbing him than with the original calling of him to come to you. I wonder, will he allow you to "grab" his collar without fear? You may want to test this and see, and then work on conditioning the collar grab so that he learns that it is okay too.

Good luck with your training..now you know he likes to runout and play "tag" and steal the toolbag..so training door manners and learning not to chase him are next on the list!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts