Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My latest foster dog is an absolutely adorable year old Lab/Golden cross. Typical lab, very playful and energetic but is excllent in the house as I've been taking him on a long daily swimming/ retrieving trip.

He loves being rubbed on his butt, and when we're playing or I'm brushing (furminating!) him I'll tap him on the butt, about as hard as you would jokingly pat someone on the back. He always wags his tail and never shies away, and doesn't show any hand-shyness.

This is okay, right? I think it feels to him like he's getting a back massage, and it's never more than two or three little pats, as his huge wagging retriever tail always swats me out of the way. Just more of a pat than you would give a five pound yorkie, since he's about 12x that size.

This probably sounds really stupid.... I just happened to come across a thread about NEVER hitting your dog and wanted to make sure this didn't qualify.

:redface: reassure me?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
If the dog likes it it doesn't qualify. :)

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
naw its fine. my dogs love being spanked... theyre hussies :)

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
We have a cat that loves being spanked. The harder you hit him, the more he loves it. If he loves it, it's all good.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I know and trust a great agility trainer who smacks the dog's side while playing tug. I've been known to do it myself, emulating him. It never fails to rile up the dog even more. If the dog doesn't act fearful or retreat, it's fine.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I know and trust a great agility trainer who smacks the dog's side while playing tug. I've been known to do it myself, emulating him. It never fails to rile up the dog even more. If the dog doesn't act fearful or retreat, it's fine.
I smack Kaki's side(and many other dogs) during tug. Every dog I've done it to just gets more riled up and into the tug.

OP, I do beat the tar out of Kaki compared to a few affectionate swats on the butt. One of her favorite new games is for me to "attack" her with the chuck-it. I swing it at her from all sides, take out her legs, smack her with one hand while she's focused on the chuck-it hand, etc. She loves it and "wins" the game when she gets to trot away with the chuck-it in her mouth.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
With Izze I use to 'bat' her heAd side to side when se'd roughhouse & wack her with her rope tug toy, she loved evey minute of it. I wouldn't DREAM of doing that that rough with Buddy, he's too sensitive for that :). The most I do to him is a little 'rough petting (didn't want to use the word 'heavy' :/ lol) with a playful 'gruffy' sounding 'ahhh hahaha!' & then ending it with a high pitch 'YAAAAAY!' . OH 'beats thr crap'oit of Josefina when they play (she LOVES rough play) he does a lot of rev up/cool down work with her.

I guess the bottom line is that every dog is different.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Diesel gets a kick out of being slapped around, all in good fun of course. He gets his hair pulled and rolled on the ground, and has his rear smacked around and his ribs patted and his muzzle slapped.
The way I see it, if he didn't like it he wouldn't come back for more.

As long as it's all in good fun, and the dog likes it, there's nothing wrong with it. Just a little roughhousing

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
My dog loves to be spanked and whatever else, like TWAB I beat the crap out of her LOL

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
My dog's ultimate favorite reinforcer is to be sprayed full-blast with a hose. Close second is being repeatedly kneed while he jumps on me.

One dog's "abuse" is another dog's jackpot.

Gotta love the dog in front of you!

·
Registered
583 Posts
My dog's ultimate favorite reinforcer is to be sprayed full-blast with a hose. Close second is being repeatedly kneed while he jumps on me.

One dog's "abuse" is another dog's jackpot.

Gotta love the dog in front of you!
>kneed while he jumps on me.<
I hope this just means raising the knee to block and a not too hard contact...

All of my dogs love rough play and for them it is full tilt excitement. Most of my dogs see this as a game you can't win... haha...
Sometimes this backfires on me when I call one of mine that has a very strong recall response , she runs at me full speed and often can't fully stop and slides in to sit on my foot. All 65 pounds of her , then looks up at me with that , OK , what do you want to play now look.

oldhounddog

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
That is how Abbylynn and I play tug. I back hand her on the shoulder a few times ... lightly .. and she gets allll riled up! Lol! She becomes cat-like with her feet and runs circles like any good ol' Dobie would! Lol! She loves to play like this. :)

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Yep I beat on Jubel smacking, punching, slapping, tackling and he thinks it's the greatest thing ever. One of his favorite games though so far all of our short term fosters did NOT like seeing us play like this. They either got scared and ran away (they were merely observers watching from the couch) or jumped in trying to "save" me from Jubel's "attacks." So we'd have to move to another location without them and just deal with their crying that we left them.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Stryker actually will come up to me and present his back end for me to "spank". He is a very shy dog but sure does love his "spankings" lol.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Chloe loves a good butt smacking!! Whenever you pet her she starts with her head in your hand then turns and presents her butt to be smacked. She loves every second of it. Hubby plays super rough with her, tossing her around and smacking her and she just barks and growls and comes back for more. You have to be more gentle with Sydney but she loves it when we get on the floor and play bow with her and start smacking at her paws and face. It looks ridiculous but they just get so happy and its so much fun!!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Muggsy loved thumps! It sounded like hitting a tom (big drum) when we hit his sides, but he would just get all happy and excited.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts