Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`m really just considering options for the future, in November my Working Line GSD puppy is coming home, so she will be the only puppy here for a while!
I`ve been thinking about what breeds I would actually like. Whilst I love all dogs, I`m in the minority (perhaps?) about the fact, that I don`t really want to own tons of breeds.
Right now I have a papillon/terrier mix. He is 20lbs and I love most things about him. I really want a dog similar to him without the terrierness LOL.

I don`t actually want a papillon pedigree. Whilst I would absolutely love one in the future, right now I don`t want a dog that small. I feel quite lucky with my boy, he has got a lot of papillon features, but in a larger package!

With this hypothetical third dog, I would like to do Agility and Nosework with some tracking and searching (similar to SAR type work) thrown in. Right now my Papillon mix does the above and he is ace at it (I also do a bit of rally with him)

With the researching I have been doing, the closest I can get to what I want is a Spaniel type. I would like a dog that is 25-40lbs ish (give or take a few pounds either way) and I don`t want a terrier or collie (rough, smooth or border).

Soo traits I`d like

* High energy levels- My current dog has insane energy levels. On a typical week he usually gets x4 hikes which are about 2 hours in length (offleash and onleash depending), x2 1 hour trips to the dog park, x2 leashed walks about 30 mins- 1hour and x1 mega hike of about 5-6 hours mainly offleash. He also gets a weekly agility class, fortnightly Nosework class and weekly rally class as well as lots of play in our huge back yard (both structured play and unstructured)

* High drive- My current dog has medium ish drive. He loves his toys in the yard, but you might as well not have toys when out on hikes LOL. I would really love a dog that likes to play. One that has the drive to play, play, play.

* Friendliness- I would like a dog that is friendly and social to other dogs and people. I don`t mind leeway such as a dog being alert or suspicious of people when feeling threatened or one that will tell rude dogs to go away but I really don`t want to be dealing with HA or DA if it can be helped!

* Work- I would like a dog that thrives on work. I do a lot of dog activates and would like a dog that really, really wants to work as much as s/he can get his/her paws on. I would rather not have a dog that is meh about the whole work thing.

* Reliability- Ideally, I would like a dog that can be trusted offleash on hikes. I get a massive lot of enjoyment from having an offleash dog. I don`t want a classic onleash only dog like a Siberian Husky for example.

*Goofiness- I love a dog that has a good personality with a healthy dose of goofiness. My boy is brilliant for this. He has an awesome personality and has a lot of goofiness.

*Confidence- I would like a dog that is pretty confident in lots of different situations, so can ideally handle a large range of situations

* Nature- I would like a soft temperament if that is the right word. A dog like my current boy, who will snuggle with you and is pretty handler focused and orientated.

The closest I`ve found to this is the English Springer Spaniel (field type). I would love to hear other suggestions though!
I`m not fussed about the spaniel hunting drive (as long as it is doesn`t hinder offleash reliability if possible) or the looks of the dog.

Thank you all!

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Field line English Cocker Spaniel would be my choice. I think field springer is also a good idea. Working cockers are really popular in agility in England from what I see on Crufts and they always impress me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Field line English Cocker Spaniel would be my choice. I think field springer is also a good idea. Working cockers are really popular in agility in England from what I see on Crufts and they always impress me.
Yeah, I like the idea of English Cocker Spaniels too. I`ve seen a handful (not too many) in agility here.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The first thing that came to my mind is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. They have a lot of play drive from what I have seen of them in agility. Not a spaniel, but perhaps more suited to what you want to do.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first thing that came to my mind is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. They have a lot of play drive from what I have seen of them in agility. Not a spaniel, but perhaps more suited to what you want to do.
Thanks for the suggestion! I`m not only interested in Spaniels, it`s just from the research I was doing, it seemed to be dominated by Spaniels.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Field line English cocker all the way. Field line ESS could also work, though I have seen/met some who were just nuts and very scattered. I have seen really nice ECS competing in agility though (mostly in the UK as Laurelin mentioned).

What about a Welsh springer? They are pretty high energy though not as all over the place as some ESS I've met. Drive can vary but most are into toys, into food, and into working with their human. My adult has fairly low toy drive when we're outside (his nose trumps everything) but my puppy has quite a bit of drive. They are friendly in general, but get more reserved with people as they age. Timidity does run in some lines so choose the breeder carefully. They are sweet happy goofy dogs, though all spaniels are. Most spaniels are soft in temperament as well, and tend to be velcro and snuggly.

As far as off leash goes, yes, the hunting instinct can impact off leash reliability. In general spaniels should stay within sight (that's how they are supposed to hunt) but they will follow their noses too and sometimes forget about where you are momentarily. They won't take off and run forever, but without good recall training they tend to do their own thing staying just near enough that they don't lose track of you, but a bit too far for my comfort. I ended up going to an ecollar to finish up my boy's recall and he's much better now. So far I don't think that will be necessary with my female.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts