1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I think there should be both pet-free flights as well as flights with pets allowed on board. I feel for allergy sufferers, but I think there should also be an option for pet owners to be able to travel without having to put their pets through the stress of riding in cargo. Personally I think you should have the option of purchasing the seat next to you to put your pet's carrier, because not every pet can fit under the seat. They'd get payed for the seat all the same. I don't think pets should be allowed outside of carriers on planes, btw.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well my dogs have never flown out of cargo (too big.) But I agree, dogs- unless they are service dogs- should not be allowed of their crate while on a plane. Too much of a risk to put other passengars in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hmmm, well good that they allow pets in carriers on flights but after reading through the comments (my favorite has to be the comment of "cat urine and yappy dogs" I guess I could say the same about babies and kids but hey, everyone needs to travel) maybe they might want to have certain flights possibly designated for pets as to not mess with the health of people with allergies. I have a couple of friends that have allergies to cats and for the most part they can handle it but one friend has severe allergies that worries me, but he now takes meds but still. OR maybe the airlines, when taking reservations or something, could ask the question of animal allergies as to ensure the passengers safety and health.

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
I love all of the doom and gloom in the comments, haha. Most other airlines allow pets, and yet we don't seem to hear stories about pets escaping during flights, peeing everywhere and biting people, necessitating huge expensive lawsuits. :p

I feel for the allergy sufferers, I do, but other people are allergic to other things (my mom is highly allergic to chemicals including perfumes and cleaners, for example), so what's the airline going to do, outlaw every possible allergen? All of the pet-allowing airlines say on their websites that people with allergies should say so when they're booking so they can be seated far away from animals or even placed on a different flight.

On a slightly different note: $75 each way? For what? The privilege of counting your pet as one of your two carry-on bags (meaning you only get one carry-on while everyone else gets two for free) and stuffing it under the seat in front of you? I pay $50 for my dog on my preferred airline, and I still think that's a rip-off (especially when I only have to pay $100 for my seat on a shorter/more popular flight). I'm assuming the only reason they have a high fee is to discourage as many people as possible from flying with their pets.

Also, once my family and I flew with a four-month-old baby and my papillon. I'm sure everyone who saw us coming cringed, but neither the dog nor the kid made a peep the entire flight, there and back. As I was getting off the plane, multiple people commented that they hadn't even realized there was a dog on the flight! Not all animals are going to cry the whole time. I'd bet a lot of these doom-and-gloom commenters have been on flights with pets and not even realized it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
@ Crantastic - LMAO, that's the same thing I was thinking when I read the comments on that site and I was surprised! People were starting to sound like some youtubers (on youtube vids where airlines discuss flying with your pets in cabin there were similar comments.) Plus certain airlines have a limit of how many animals can fly in cabin. They're acting like the plane is going to be full of cats and dogs!
I get nasty headaches from strong perfumes, which sucks!

I'm flying Frontier this weekend and I have to pay $75 on my return flight with my new pup. I was glad it was that cheap. Which airline do you fly that it's $50?

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
It's $50 each way on WestJet here in Canada (they don't do a lot of flights, but they do popular routes) and $50 or $100 each way on Air Canada, based on itinerary. It's not bad, but it still irks me that I have to pay anything for my dog when she counts as one of my two carry-ons and she gets stuffed under the seat and doesn't make a peep. I can understand (and willingly pay) extra fees to keep her in a hotel room, as they often do special cleaning after a pet stays, but I can't see any reason for the fee on a plane besides discouraging people from bringing animals -- the pet's only taking up the space my second (free) carry-on would, and they don't do special cleaning after we leave.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts