Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've hit up local butchers and stores, but haven't found anywhere that will sell me supplies at a reasonable price. Though I read all over that it's supposedly easy to find very inexpensive raw material for dogs, the best I was able to find was around $8/day for each dog. This was based on the amount an average-sized dog would eat (found numbers online and used them for research). My wife and I make good money, but that's a bit out of our price range, particularly because we have 3 Newfoundlands, and they eat A LOT.

I first tried to find a source a couple years ago, and was both nervous to try raw feeding and stymied by the cost. Now, however, I'm revisiting the idea because one of my Newfies "Max" is prone to hot spots. Since one of the causes of hot spots is allergies, my vet advised me to give Max 75mg of Benadryl twice per day. But I've also ready that a prime contributor to dog allergies is the grain in commercial dog foods. I feed Victor to my dogs, which is one of the better foods, but it still has grain. So I've been considering trying Max on a raw diet and see if it helps his hot spots. If it goes well, I'd start feeding raw to all of my dogs. I'm also leaning towards raw feeding after volunteering at a dog show we had here last weekend. One of the Great Pyrenees Rescue people I worked with said he fed his Newfies raw, and some of them lived to 14 years. I want my boys to live forever, but I'll take what I can get.

We live in Arizona, so I'm hoping there are members of this forum that feed raw and live here, somewhere near, or simply can give good advice on finding sources that won't break the bank. I'm grateful for any help!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Try looking through the resources here. http://www.dogaware.com/diet/rawfoods.html and http://dogaware.com/diet/rawgroups.html

Also carnivorefeed-supplier yahoo list has a poster that supplies to Arizona but that is all I know as I am in California. Join up and look around to find that poster.

I am guessing about 3 pounds of food a day per dog? Giant breed dogs often need less than 2% their body weight as well. Half can be chicken and the other half red meats such as pork, beef and lamb. That brings the cost way down as chicken can be found for less than $1 a day. Shop the sales, check the clearance bin at the meat counter and google your area for markets you didn't know about. I am planning on hitting a Mexican market that is about 20 miles away tomorrow for $2.70 beef roasts. If I guessed right and each dog needs about 3 pounds a day then your cost per dog would be $5.55 for that particular meal. Pork is much cheaper and would likely only cost about $4 a day as I can nearly always find pork roasts on sale for about $1.50 a pound.

Check your local wholesale meat people. Some will sell a couple cases at a time and the prices can be very good.

See if you can find a meat processor, some lucky people can bring bins and carry away stuff for free. Messy and a lot of work but free is nice. Game meat cannot be sold so must be given away and game is the best meat! Not boar or carnivores though, bad parasites in those.

Some people post to Craig's List or Freecycle for freezer clean outs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. This is enough to make me want to take up hunting. My dad used to come home with a deer or boar, and there was meat for months from just that animal. But, since I've never once hunted in my life, this probably isn't a viable option.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts