Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to use common sense....but what's common for humans isn't always the case with dogs.

I've been giving my dog soup bones to gnaw on and occupy her time. How long can you leave these things out for? I'm sure they must build up unhealthy bacteria. There is still some raw meat left on the bones.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I'm curious about this as well. I was considering purchasing a couple of ham bones at the store for my dog, but I've heard they're not healthy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My vet once told me to first boil them, then keep them in the freezer until they will be used. This way there would be less bacteria on it. He said he did not recommend:D raw bones at all.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Do not feed your dog cooked bones. Cooked bones splint; raw bones are grinded.
Grinded? Do you mean as in a grinder before the dog eats them? Or you mean in their stomach?

I feed raw and whole raw bones are fine. I don't leave them out though - she eats them right away. For chew toys I prefer a Kong or bully sticks

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Sorry, I think the correct word is "ground." I was in a rush.

What I meant was that when dogs chew raw bones, they are ground up into tiny pieces rather than broken unevenly and cracked into shards like cooked bones are. I feed my dog whole raw bones every day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts