Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but I thought the general dog forum would be a good place to start. I'd like to start off by saying I'm happy to now be a member of the forum.

Now, to clarify my title: I'm referring to myself as a 'sort of new' owner because while I grew up with a dog, my family got him as a puppy when I was two, so naturally I don't remember much of my dog as a youngster. Ever since we had to put him down a few years ago I've been entertaining myself with the idea of getting another dog and now that I have a good job I figure now would be a good time. I found a large mutt puppy (they say they think 12 weeks or so old). She's 45 pounds, and beautiful. For those of you who have stuck with me thus far, thank you and I am getting to the point now:

I am unable to find a 'cost calculator for dog owners' or anything of the sort online, or even a schedule of when they need their shots, how much they are etc. I'm about ready to go adopt her, I just want to get some numbers so I know a ball park of how much I'm going to be spending total first year (aside from toys, beds and such). The sources (which I found to be too vague and not so helpful) I've seen indicate around 1000 including spay/neuter for a big dog. Do you know any sources that might help me? I called a vet's office and they weren't as helpful as I had hoped they would be. I live in a fairly populated area, but a big city, because I know that affects pricing and what not. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
There really is not particular calculator that's helpful, simply because EVERY dog eats a different amount of food, and humans have THEIR preferences for what toys and items to buy the dog, and the DOG has preferences of what toys and other items it likes!

It sounds like this mutt puppy is going to be on the large side, so I'd probably think around $400 for a spay. But everything else? It's a crap shoot.

My dogs are intact, so it's not an expense I have to worry about, but we spend a couple hundred dollras annually on chews and toys and the like. We spend almost $100/month just on dog food (we have a cat as well).

For vaccination schedules:
http://www.doglogic.com/vaccination.htm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm just trying to ballpark... say if the dog ends up being the size of a cane corso or small bull mastiff -- i'm just trying to get a number for the first year, which i know is more expensive because of shots and what not

thank you for the schedule! almost missed that

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
You could call a few local vets and ask the price of a spay for a large dog and the price of a series of required vaccinations.

Pet insurance might be a good idea, if you want to keep costs to a fairly "known" amount.

A preapproved line of credit with Care credit might help take the worry out of unexpected medical care.

Depending on your housing arrangements, consider a large dog's impact on finding housing. Many landlords have size/weight restrictions on rental properties. Usually small dogs (under 35 lbs, some places under 25), are pretty easy to find rental homes, but large dogs, and certain breeds may make it harder. If you are currently renting, check with your landlord, before getting a dog, and be sure to specify what breed/and size (at adulthood) the dog is/will be.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have a GSD/Great Dane mix and a Caucasian Ovcharka, so I know a little about the bills giant breed dogs can rack up. Again, this is impacted by where you live, etc., but...for vet care for the first year, I would pay about $750 where I live for spay, vaccinations, and heartworm prevention. We spend about $120/month for food for both dogs. As for bedding, I hit Goodwill and get queen or king size comforters for $5-10 bucks. They wash easily and don't have zippers or trim to tempt chewing.
If you're adopting this pup, the spay may be included in her adoption fee or they may provide you with a voucher or discount.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
My 70 lb female's spay was in the 500 dollar range, including 1 night of hospital, preop bloods, antibiotics etc (Toronto, Canada). Vaccines can range depending on what you get. Many vets don't quote on surgeries without seeing the dog but you should be able to get quotes on vaccines, fecal testing and HW meds etc no problem. I spend about 70 dollars a month on food (high quality, grain free).

You should also take into consideration pet insurance (or credit issues) for issues that arise, training costs (classes or private lessons) and costs of a crate, leashes and collars etc. You may also require at some time dogwalkers or other services (boarding while on vacation etc) and these costs should be considered before you get a dog. It doesn't mean you HAVE to get these things, but knowing in advance that you may need them at one time or another, depending on your lifestyle is important.

The first year is usually the most expensive, then as the dog ages (seniors) they get more expensive again. I have pet first aid experience so most little traumas do not involve vet issues and that helps.

·
Registered
317 Posts
In regard to choosing a vet, make sure to choose the vet you are most comfortable with and not just the cheapest vet. Our vet will do our spay for $280 according to my notes, and does them at four or five months old (I need to get that scheduled, come to think of it!). I had a long talk with the vet before choosing her, found out that she not only loves my breed, but that she owns a couple of Rotties herself, and felt comfortable enough to schedule a visit with this particular vet. This is not the cheapest vet in town, but I trust her!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've been meaning to add up how much I've spent on my dog in in the first two months I've had him so I thought I'd do it for you. :)

Start up - $400-$500 petsmart - food, toys, food bowls, dog bed, leash, collar, ID tags, XL dog crate, etc (this was in multiple visits over the past 2 months)
Day 1 - $200 Rescue fee for dog
Day 3 - $145 Emergency vet visit (kennel cough)
Day 7 - $86 first real vet check & de-wormer
Day 14 - $185 2nd vet visit first vaccines & heart worm, flick/tick meds
Month 2 - $240 3rd vet visit ~one month after 2nd visit, neuter, microchip, final vaccinations, & heart worm, flick/tick meds

Right after you adopt a dog you should get in to see the vet you're going to use ASAP regardless of what the shelter/breeder tells you the dog's condition is. My dog had already been vaccinated at the rescue but the vet recommended repeating vaccinations because the initial ones weren't administered by a vet so she wouldn't know if it was done properly or stored at the correct temperatures. I was completely fine with that. We had to keep going back to the vet in the beginning because he was sick so he couldn't get his vaccinations until he was well. It's those kind of unexpected fees that you just have to be prepared for upfront. Also, I didn't really know what I was buying at petsmart the first time so I've had to go back a couple times and get better products.

At this point I expect I'll be spending about $50/month on food (blue buffalo puppy food) and ~$30/month on the heart worm & flea/tick meds plus whatever random toys and collars I buy when I'm at the grocery store. :D

Hope that helps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts