Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, to start, I'm not really looking for advice or criticism, and I'm not trying to start a debate or a fight. I just feel the need to vent my frustration somewhere where there are others who might feel the same pain.
This is a vverrryyy long story/rant/pityparty for other dogs.

My dogs, Aleu and Diesel, go for two walks a day, both about an hour+ each, with an hour or time specifically for them to eat each other after each walk, and for about 15-20 minutes for each walk to make my life easier. (and by eat each other I mean some hardcore playing) We go every day, at about the same times and for us to miss one there has to be something really going on. I walk both my dogs together, because separately they freak out and somehow always manage to ruin the others' walk. It's harder on my wrists, but easier in the long run for all of us if we just go together.
Aleu is nuts on a leash. It's always OOWHAT'STHATCANWESNIFFTHATOHLOOKASTRANGERCANWEGOSAYHI, HEYIKNOWI'MATTACHEDTOYOUBUTCANIPLEASSEEERUNNN?!?!? Initially. Then it goes to just general pulling, as if she's going to get there faster. But, I deal.
Diesel is always usually pretty good on leash. He always has been. It's never a loose-leash deal, but I can live with a taut leash as long as he isn't hurting me. His living situation was awkward for the first 2 years, and that completely messed up his leash manners. And caused a lot of other problems.
Aleu is overly friendly with everyone. o-o And Diesel is dog aggressive, especially on a leash. I'm not sure if there's much I can do for her need to greet every living plant and animal we pass, but with him I've been slowly working on 'leave it'. He's getting vverryyy good at it, too, which makes me so happy.
But still, controlling both my nutty dogs at the same time is an unenjoyable chore that I continue to do every day. Because my dogs need exercise.

Dealing with their issues, I live in a very very small neighborhood with only one path. I have to take this same path, or not go at all. There are no dog parks, no walking trails or anything here that I can take either of them to. Along this path there is a total of 17 outdoor only dogs. I have known all these dogs since they got here, as they got here after me. Here's where the rant comes in.
NONE of these dogs are EVER socialized. Never. Their owners barely even come around them. Most of them are short haired, and I don't think the ones with longer coats ever get groomed. One neighbor has a longcoated dachshund that I recently got to trust me. I cut a boatload of mats off her legs. Yet they get their shi'tzu groomed very often, professionally. >.<
There is one particular dog down here, a golden, who is VERY aggressive and territorial. The last time he got off his chain was back in october, I believe, because he broke it. I don't know if they even change his collar, I can't get close enough to see. He's broken loose once before and attacked my chihuahua. We were just standing there, a very good distance away, talking to a neighbor, and suddenly here he came, grabbed my chihuahua and threw him down. My other dog at the time pulled from me and fought this dog, then ran home with my chihauhua and fought the dog again once they were on the porch. This dog's owner just stood there and watched. He scares me, and he has bitten a child before and actually took a considerable hunk of skin out of the child's finger. This same woman now has 3 other dogs, a JRT, that was obviously once a house dog. She never even looked for his owner, and just chained him up outside. The she obtained another dog. He looks somewhat like a MinPin mix. She kept him inside, but didn't bother to house train him and just chained him outside too. Recently she brought a chihuahua and chained him/her outside as well. And by recently I mean in the middle of january when it was still snowing. At first it's barks were all of clear sadness and want to come greet us. Now they're aggressive. All of her dogs bark and lunge at us while we walk. :\
The Dachshund and the Shi'Tzu both chase me when I'm in my yard. The dachshund is only mimicing, but the shi'tzu has made moves to actually bite me and my dogs. They're my DIRECT neighbors.
Recently, someone has moved in with another golden. I don't even know if he has a doghouse. I believe he's sleeping on their porch, but he is outwardly aggressive. I'm very, very afraid of him. I feel like it won't be long before his chain is broken too, and suddenly I'll be in the middle of a dog fight.
Another neighbor has moved in with two boxers -I believe he intends for them to breed- and they are left outside behind a fence. I'm so very afraid they're going to manage to get out and come after us. They bark at us a few times, then start fighting one another. Usually that's a long enough distraction for us to get out of sight.
Then, we get a bit of peace for a while, unless another person is walking their dog. She never wears a leash, which also scares me. I'm more afraid for her than my own dogs.
But then we come to the yorkie, and the terrier mix that I don't think has ever been off his chain. He barks and snaps and whines with anxiousness, then the yorkie, who is kept on the porch ONLY by a shut gate and railing, starts barking furiously and tries to slip beneath the gate. It almost managed it today. This one my dogs really hate. It's VERY difficult to distract them when we come to this yorkie. There are horses farther down, and those are usually the only thing interesting enough to take their minds off this yappy little monster, because otherwise they will keep looking back, stiffening, then anticipate the barking again as we head back.

Every day we get barked at, lunged at, yelled at by random people. We've had little dogs -and even ducks!- chase us down. My worst fear is that I'm going to catch one of these dogs on a day when their chains and gates aren't enough to stop them. And suddenly all hell will break loose. One of the dogs will go after Aleu because she is so hyper-active in the way she wants to greet other dogs, then Diesel will try and protect her -as he's done before- and suddenly one of my dogs will be hurt, and the other will be hurting someone else's dog. .-. sigh.
Like I said before, NONE of these dogs EVER get walked. They never get trained. They're never let loose to play. They're hardly ever groomed, if at all. And part of me doesn't want to blame them for their behavior because in the end, it isn't their fault. It all falls on their owners' shoulders because they're the ones who won't leave the TV long enough to walk them, or teach them or play with them, or just even sit and spend time with them :\ It makes me angry at their owners and sad for them because their lives suck and afraid for me and my dogs because their owners suck.
I'm afraid one day 'leave it' won't be enough.
I'm not afraid to get into a dog fight if it means I even have the possibility of helping my dogs come out of it alive. I've done it before, when a boxer when for my husky. But there's always that dark cloud of what if I can't stop it

Siiiighhhhghghghghghg.
Just me wishing other people would responsible for their dogs. I know it's not always going to be that way, that not everybody cares enough to actually CARE for their dogs. but that's just me wishing.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I have two words that may make you feel more safe when you're walking your dogs - Cattle Prod.

Most dogs will stop when meeting the business end of a cattle prod. If you have a tractor supply store near by, they may have them. I don't believe they are that expensive.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
doesn't sound like a bad idea to me at this point. This newest golden seems to have gotten worse. It's only been here a couple weeks. After our walk this morning, with these dogs so close to me that I can see their teeth, I considered packing some kind of weapon.
Really, I have no desire to hurt any animal or person, but if it came down to it's that or have my dogs get badly injured or even killed, I'll suck it up. :\

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Your post made me feel sad, angry, and scared all at the same time. What a difficult situation for you and your dogs. I'm not a fan of weapons, but I don't think I'd walk in your neighborhood without carrying something that could protect me and my dog.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I carry a small can of pepper spray, key chain size that I clip to my leads. With that you have a slightly larger gap between you and the on coming dog.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I agree with the cattle prod. Its not going to cause any lasting damage, direct aim, and you have no chance of spray coming back onto you or your dogs. Just be prepared for the dog to yelp, this can cause further aggravation in your or another loose dog, so have a firm hold of the leash.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked into the cattle prods, pretty amazed to find they make them hand-held now! I've been sitting here thinking about how odd it would be to walk around with a long, pronged rod xD
I thought about the pepper spray... Diesel's new leash has a little ring on it by the handle loop for things to be clipped.

Unfortunately I don't have access to either one right now... I've faced a pack of dogs before, but it was just Diesel and I then. We were in a new area with some friends and 4-5 dogs came barreling out of a pasture and after us. I sent the friends ahead and knew we couldn't outrun them, so all I could really do was grab the nearest club-type object, tighten my leash and prepare myself. Fortunately is a last ditch effort of panic, I, erm. cough. barked. at them. I guess between Diesel's serious threats and some freak of a human trying to bark, they were startled enough to back up. But it was definitely very frightening and I don't ever want to have to deal with that again.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I have two words that may make you feel more safe when you're walking your dogs - Cattle Prod.

Most dogs will stop when meeting the business end of a cattle prod. If you have a tractor supply store near by, they may have them. I don't believe they are that expensive.
That's just what I was going to suggest, I highly recomend it, one shot from a cattle prod will send most dogs packing.

I used to live in the city & no dog scares me, no matter how much they want to scare me lol. We also have a Slew of loose dogs here as well that just go where they please & have sent a majority of them packing with just posture alone & the others I hate to say this because I am an animal lover, but the ones that didn't listen to body lingo warnings I kicked the crap out of as many times as it took for them to get hr message.

As 'leader' it's my job to protect all of us & be the first line of defense to any oncoming threat, i have to admit it was easier when Izze was alive, she Lways had my back :(.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
What a horrible, scary, sad sad situation for everyone and all those poor dogs to have to endure on a daily basis. I am for the cattle prod ... even though I do not believe in hurting an animal ... but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do to be safe!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh believe me, I don't either. But if it did come down to my dogs or someone else's, I'm going to choose mine. Of course if I do end up packing some sort of deterrent -which I most likely will- I will do everything I can before resorting to it. Sometimes a good amount of yelling or threatening gestures can send them away.

But I've had to stop walking Troubles -the chihuahua- because of this. Well, his regular walks anyway. Walking him with my other two just wasn't going to work because he's quite a bit slower than them, and he gets tired more easily. He has a separate walk that's not nearly as long as theirs and it's in the direction where only 3 dogs are. And HOPEFULLY their gate is shut. Sometimes it's not, and he's been jumped before in our own yard, to the point where I had to intervene. He's more of an airconditioner, throw a squeaky for a little bit kinda dog anyway, thankfully. Lol.
It scares me too much to have him with them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Oooooh, people like your neighbors burn my grits!

You have my deepest sympathies, it's terrible for animal lovers to live around jerks like this. Shame on them for putting you on the defense, cause they are. They aren't managing their pets, so you're left with seeking ways to defend yourself and your property. it's an ugly reality, but that's just what your pups are, property. You have every right to defend yourself and your property. Don't you feel bad, your neighbors are the bad guys!

Our one neighbor went through 5 dogs in three years, 4 were puppies, and I am unabashed in my sneering at him. He knows it, and I don't care, they're selfish jerks. One dog was SO out of control, I couldn't walk outside of my house for 3 weeks after my hysterectomy! I was terrified the dog would jump on me and tear open my incision. (the dog had a history of jumping on me and my husband) Finally hubby went over there and asked him to put his dog away during the day, so I could move about.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
You must live in my current neighborhood -_- There's a walking/biking path that surrounded by fences of people's houses. Behind almost every fence is a large, extremely aggressive dog, threatening to bust out. Some of the fences have holes in them where dogs can stick their heads through. I almost maced one dog earliar tonight when my husband and I were taking our dogs for a walk.

That being said, I'd NEVER hurt a dog unless it was a last resort. I'd do what I could to scare it off first.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We just got back from our second walk a short time ago. Same as always. Us pressed against the farthest side of the street, almost in yards, dogs hitting the ends of their chains. But the part is that school let out, so we had children chasing us around on bikes and fourwheelers with guns that I really only hope are fake.
-_-'

it's terrible for animal lovers to live around jerks like this.
What I find hilarious -not really- is that the newest golden, his owner, who only comes around at night, calls him her 'baby', yet she won't provide him with a real doghouse, she never brings him inside, even though we've had some serious heat and rain lately, and she never walks or grooms him. Yeah, he's her baby alright. Sure sounds like it.
I'm trying to work up the courage to see if he has food and water during the day. That's my job around here, apparently. I'm the dog catcher, the one who feeds waters and grooms those who have lazy owners. -_-'

You must live in my current neighborhood -_- There's a walking/biking path that surrounded by fences of people's houses. Behind almost every fence is a large, extremely aggressive dog, threatening to bust out. Some of the fences have holes in them where dogs can stick their heads through. I almost maced one dog earliar tonight when my husband and I were taking our dogs for a walk.
What I wonder is how people sit in there houses and just listen to their dogs bark. If either of my dogs makes a noise, I'm right there on it to know what it's about. I believe my dogs when they say something is going on, so to speak. I think if they were outside, letting loose because of something, I'd be a little interested. Nope, people just sit inside and turn the TV up I guess.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Your post made me feel sad, angry, and scared all at the same time. What a difficult situation for you and your dogs. I'm not a fan of weapons, but I don't think I'd walk in your neighborhood without carrying something that could protect me and my dog.
Me two! Ugh, you have my sympathies. :(

Jen

·
Registered
554 Posts
I went to visit a friend in Nebraska about a year ago. He lived in a town w/a pop of literally about 100 people. 95% of those people had dogs stuck outside in tiny pens, or tied up in yards. Huge huskies stuck in 4x8 pens, with not enough room to do anything besides jump on their doghouse, and jump back to the tiny space in front of it. Even tiny little Belle-sized dogs (my 5-pound Yorkie mix), who I know want nothing more than to be on their master's laps and shadow them from room to room. Stuck outside in pens 24/7.

It was depressing, and definitely frightening because those dogs were NOT socialized. Walking down an alley was like walking down a zoo full of animals in half-baked cages. I felt sad for the dogs, and frightened for myself. I learned to appreciate, 100%, a town where people treat their dogs with kindness. I do not think I could live in that Nebraska town.

Check out http://www.dogsdeservebetter.org/ and maybe print their brochures or posters, it *might* change *someone's* mind. Meanwhile, I would absolutely bring some kind of weapon. It's for your protection, and your dog's protection. Hurting an animal is not the same as killing it, which may be what happens if a bad fight breaks out.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
That is so sad, and kind of scary. I would be going nuts dealing with that. I get annoyed enough as it is with my landlord who just lets his dog roam randomly, doesn't play with him, doesn't walk him, does at least pet him sometimes and feed him.
You make me feel thankful that the only thing I've got to worry about walking Caeda is hungry bears that should be waking up from hibernation right about now. Speaking of bears, if you have a hard time getting your hands on pepper spray and want to use that you can always go to an outdoors store (or camping section of a store) and look for bear spray. I believe it is more potent though, but has a pretty long range on it. I'm not a fan of bear spray, only ever carried it in my pack because we HAD to have it on us for working in the bush. If pepper spray is something you would use though, bear spray is another option (only option here, I don't think pepper spray can be sold to the general public in Canada)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Must be horrible for you and your dogs, where i live not many people let there dogs live outside, and none leave there dogs in the front garden, those poor dogs, i don't get why someone would get a dog then do nothing with it all day every day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts