Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

When i first got my dog (because I'm on the third floor of an apartment) I had the original idea of training him to use an indoor potty system; think fake grass with puppy pads and tray underneath.

He took to it straight away! Literally in 3 days, that's where he went when he was inside the house.

Then I had a change of thought about the indoor pottying idea, mainly because he is a male dog and he lifts when he pees. (quite the splash zone...)

I managed to teach him to ring a set of bells and then when i let him out of the crate in the morning to potty I get him to ring it.

I'm starting to notice now though, that he goes potty to pee quite often! He is able to hold it over night and during the day whenever he is in his crate. But when he is out of the crate and around the apartment he could go three times in an hour and then maybe 1-2 hours when he is playing and it's always a steady stream...

I know there's a possible medical problem so we are heading to the vet with a sample when he gets his booster shots in 2 weeks. I'm just curious if anyone has had a similar issue where it did not turn out to be a medical issue and what you might suggest to do?

I'm also wondering if I should remove the indoor potty system completely, but i'm worried if I do he would just go in a random spot around my apartment. At least now he knows there's a spot? since he hasn't quite gotten ringing the bell to go potty yet.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Checking with a vet is a good idea. I don't really have any ideas or advice beyond that but I'm curious what age and size your dog is. If he is still getting boosters I assume pretty young. Young dogs pee more, some people say they can hold it 3 hrs at 3 months, 4 hrs at 4 months etc. If he is a small breed which, if he is using an indoor potty system, I would guess he would be, that number of hours go down. It is great that he is consistent so soon but just because he CAN hold it in his crate doesn't mean it's comfortable. Also overnight is different and during sleep is different than waking hours. The body just works differently. If you are worried, don't wait to go to the vet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts