Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Arff for a walk in the park today, and towards the end, he hurt his paw. I'm not really sure what happened -- he kind of stumbled a little and then he was limping. He wanted to keep going, though -- he didn't even slow down. I made him stop and I looked at his paw, but I didn't see anything. He whined a little while I looked. I went back and looked at the path, and I didn't see where there was anything he could have stepped on. We walked a little ways to a place where my friend could bring her car around, and he limped the whole way, but he really didn't want to slow down any. Once we got him in the car, we looked again, but still couldn't see anything, but he did flinch a little when I touched one of his paw pads. When we got home, he seemed MUCH better. Sometimes he does not limp, and sometimes he does, but it is barely noticeable. I'm hoping he just stepped on a thorn or a splinter (we were crossing a wooden bridge at the time) but I'm worried that he could possibly have gotten some kind of bug or spider bite. I didn't really see anything, though.
Anyway, I called the vet but the office closed at noon on Saturday, and I was unpleasantly surprised to find out that to even speak to a vet, I have to subscribe to their after-hours service, for $149. (WHAT!?!?! Surely this isn't the norm????)
Should I just keep an eye on him for now or should I try to find an emergency vet or an office that's open weekends? He seems fine. He is crashed right now, but we had a 2-hour walk, and he always sleeps for a couple hours afterwards, so that's normal. He was hyper in the car like he always is and thought about chasing a chipmunk when we got home. He was fine jumping in and out of the car, too.

Thanks,
Stacey

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Muscle strains/pulls/twists are quite common. If you didn't find any cuts or splinters I'd give a baby aspirin, watch him over the weekend and restrict his jumping...especially the jumping down.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I would try using a magnifying glass if you have one and under a bright light of have someone hold a flash light, look very closely spreading the individual pad apart. This for looking for something that may be imbeded.

If it a bug bite often the black pad area will turn pink like color and and a round swelling will take place. Try to get something from your vet if this is the case to reduce itching. Something that if it is licked will not cause a problem.

If it is just a light sprain, should go way on its own, just no jumping/exercises for a few days.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He seems fine now. No more limping. Actually, when my husband came home Arff was soo happy to see him that he was running and jumping all over the place. We skipped our evening walk just to be on the safe side. I'll keep an eye on him for the next couple of days.
I think I probably over-reacted. :eek: I am a first-time doggy mom, so I'm sure I'll probably do it again before too long. Thanks for your help. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts