Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tiberius limps sometimes on his back left leg. I think its due to getting drug by a sled when he was younger. Today when he woke up, he won't walk on that leg. He will stand on it but no walk (or will barely walk). His nails are on the long side, but only because none of the groomers will trim them. I have to take him up to the vet to get his nails trimmed. Until then I am putting heat on his leg, added some extra blankets to his bed to make it softer. Is there anything else I can do to help ease his pain a bit til I can get him into the vet (its probably going to be a day or two...calling tomorrow to get an appt). Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
From what I've seen, Rimadyl is often prescribed to help with pain. But I'd only use it if you've had experience using it before (so you know the dosage etc) and if you know Tiberius has no issues with his kidneys. If it's a joint/old age thing, I've heard Adequan works very well.
But really, you seem to be easing it as best you can right now; the best thing for you to do before consulting a vet is to have him rest the leg IMO. Hope he feels better soon!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Canyx! I am still gonna call the vet but this morning he is walking on it fine and even ran down the hall this morning to wake us up after the roomie took him out.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called and talked to the vet today. The vet said just to keep an eye on him. He is walking on it fine now, and there is no sign it was even bothering him. He is lounging in his crate right now, and is fairly low energy in the house anyway. Vet says if it acts up again to bring him in and they will take a look. I am wondering (since he was home with the roommate all weekend) if he may have been stiff from too much time in his crate......

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Ice might help next time. My dog was attacked when he was about 3 - 4 yo and the attacker (dog) bit and pulled on his foot. Although we didn't see any damage, I believe there was some soft tissue damage. He doesn't limp, but after we go for a walk, he will lick that paw.... 10 years later. So, I believe that your experience may be similar. Fish Oil, Flax Seed might help if it is minor, and a little Rimadyl with a handful of food might help if the lameness continues.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Hanksimon. He was drug with a dog sled team when he was much younger. His previous owner was trying to (improperly in my opinion) train him to be a sled dog. He got scared and went completely stiff, she mushed the dogs (experienced team, with Ti's two brothers also in training) forward and he got drug. Every now and then if its cold or he's been laying down for a long time, he'll baby that leg but he always walks on it. I was worried because he wouldn't even put his foot down. Now though he is right back to being his crazy running playing self outside (even pulled me toward the neighbors for a visit) and his calm relaxed self inside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts