Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sophie is a husky/ American fox hound. We go to the dog park daily and she would play with everyone. A few months ago it up and stopped. Now she enters the park and patrols the fence. Doesn't play or run. If a dog comes up to play she shows her teeth as a warning. If they miss that signal she gives a quick snap and bark. They leave and she goes back to being my herself. Anyone know what's going on or how to fix it
Thanks. Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
You'll need a safe space to diagnose this issue, it could be dominance or it could be fear, or something else.

Do you have any family members with dogs you could "introduce" her to?

Have her on a lead and see if she Acts aggressive, if she does, then shes not waiting for you to decide if the new dog is ok or not... it could be she believes herself to be heading up your pack, and therefore stressed or more aggressive than usual

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
She may simply not enjoy playing with other dogs. Some dogs don't. If she isn't enjoying the dog park, stop taking her. Continuing to force her into that type of situation will only make the issue worse. Her "go away" signals are entirely appropriate and show restraint.

She may also not be feeling well, in which case I would be taking her to a vet for a checkup to make sure she's not in pain. How old is she? If she is around the 2-3 year old age, I would reckon she simply matured into dog that doesn't necessarily care to play with bunches of other dogs, and that's okay. If she's older than that and suddenly stopped wanting to play with dogs, a vet check is most certainly in order.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's between 3 and 4 1/2 years old. Im thinking is maturity. I have 2 dogs the young one still loves the park. I do take them on hikes which she loves. But everyone at the park knows and loves her. We are the reason so many people come now. Which is a blessing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm believing she thinks she is the alpha at the park honestly. Like I said we go every day and everyone there loves her. We are the reason so many come now. All because of a simple Facebook page I built. It's called Sophie's Place.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I'm believing she thinks she is the alpha at the park honestly. Like I said we go every day and everyone there loves her. We are the reason so many come now. All because of a simple Facebook page I built. It's called Sophie's Place.
Dogs aren't wolves and they don't really adhere to the same social structure as a pack of wolves would. She probably just simply does not enjoy playing with so many strange dogs anymore. You could see if she still enjoys playing with a few known dogs, but I wouldn't push it. Trying to make her what she's not might only make the problem worse.

·
Registered
44 Posts
She may simply not enjoy playing with other dogs. Some dogs don't. If she isn't enjoying the dog park, stop taking her. Continuing to force her into that type of situation will only make the issue worse. Her "go away" signals are entirely appropriate and show restraint.
This would be my assumption. Puppy play phase is over, she's part fox hound, probably more interested in tracking down a small animal. I've read/watched behaviorists that are against dog parks for adult dogs of certain dispositions (in this case herding dogs who feel compelled to the point of stress/conflict to control everything that moves in the park). I've also seen a video were the trainer demonstrates multiple times by engaging and disengaging with training the hound/labs, how the bird hound will leave to hunt the boundaries of the yard and point at birds when un-engaged while the labs and the border are more interested in the trainer even when released.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you nailed it. Sophie patrols the fence line looking for birds or prey. My young one tho loves to play. Sophie is fine there I'll just have to watch for other dogs younger than her who may wanna play lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts