Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story shirt. Fishing by river and dog thought we were throwing her a treat. Grab the bait and fish hook. I grab line she yipped, line & bait came off. Hook nowhere to be seen. Not in mouth. No blood. Xrays tomorrow in the am to verify its not in her.
Anyone had similar experience? Will the hook pass?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
How scary! I would probably have taken her to the vet as soon as the incident happened because of the potential damage a hook could do to her insides. Definitely give us an update tomorrow. I hope it just fell somewhere out of sight but I would definitely get the xrays done as soon as possible so you can know for sure.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vet was closed but have on call vet. They recommended waiting till am. Monitor for any bad behavior ie.vomiting.

If nothing xray will verify it or not.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I fish hook will most likely not pass. It will puncture something and get stuck, most likely.

Obi has swallowed fish hooks twice, and was extremely lucky both times. The first time he got car sick on the way to the vet and vomited it up without doing any damage to himself. The second time I didn't know, and he was retching every morning for about a week. I had just changed his food and figured that was the cause. Then one morning he was doing it and actually managed to vomit something up, and it was a fish hook. No blood and Obi was fine, but I feel sick thinking about that hook sitting in his stomach for a week....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only going on vets recommendation. They open in 3 hrs.

Sophie has not had any 'different' behavior (vomiting, whining, etc). She's her normal self... Made it through the night without any issues. So I am hoping the hook is not inside her.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Wow! How scary! I hope it just broke and flew off some place. I had a pup who got a fish hook stuck in his gums thanks to a careless relative. :/ ... and had to have it surgically removed ... but he never swallowed one.

Hope to hear an update on the poor girl!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Yeep how scary! I guess the fortunate part here is that you can see a fish hook on xray, so you'll know for sure if it's there or not and can make plans to treat if needed!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: Xray shows NO fish hook. Luckily for us it may have just pulled off and she probably just flung it away when she was swinging her head.

Phew....

Boy that was one expensive fishing trip... $160 for 1 lousy sheepshead (wasn't even a big one). (Thats what the xray cost). :-(

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Geez, for all that, you should have ended up with a huge fish, sorry you had to pay for the Xray but better to be safe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very lucky. If she had swallowed it and it punctured her stomach or intestines she would be close to death from infection if not dead before the vet had even opened :/

EDIT: "Wait till morning" -_- lol if you swallowed a fish hook an called 911 they'd be telling you to stay calm and ask if there is anyone who can perform CPR while the ambulance is on the way LOL. You do NOT want a punctured bowel. The vet probably knew this too :p

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Glad to hear all is well! Careful on your next fishing adventure! :)

·
Banned
158 Posts
Wow - scary!! I'm glad that it wasn't in her!!

For the record, I would have definitely gone to the emergency clinic - I don't think that I could have waited for the vet! You can also give an emetic (such as hydrogen peroxide) so that she throws up whatever is in there, but generally I would only recommend that for items that aren't such a high puncture risk - you don't want it doing damage on the way back up.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
I am glad your dog did not swallow the hook.

Unless it is a stainless steel hook, the acids in the dogs digestive system will tak care of it.

It is not a particularly uncommon experience down here. I can think of at least six dogs that have swallowed hooks, none died, got sick, etc and none had surgury. My cousins dog at a bait with hook on my boat. You could see the hook in the xray. A few weeks later, no hook in the xray. Fish swallow hooks all the time and survive. I am not saying it is a good practice, let your dog be exposed to a baited hook. But chances are the dog would be fine. Also chances are if you went to an old country vet, he would just watch it and a younger urban vet would be cutting on your dog.

Personally, I would be FAR more worried about a dog swallowing monofiliament line than a hook.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Wow - scary!! I'm glad that it wasn't in her!!

For the record, I would have definitely gone to the emergency clinic - I don't think that I could have waited for the vet! You can also give an emetic (such as hydrogen peroxide) so that she throws up whatever is in there, but generally I would only recommend that for items that aren't such a high puncture risk - you don't want it doing damage on the way back up.
You do not want the hook to come back up and chance it getting caught in the esophogus. You want it to get in the stomach and be exposed to acid.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts