Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Skyler, my husky/border collie mix is about 1 yr old. i have had him only for a few months. he is a GREAT dog.

i am only having one issue with him. he is very mouthy
he likes the chew all up and down my arms and legs. and if he isnt chewing... he is licking. he usually likes to lick my feet, or the carpet.
and if he's not doing one of those things, he has a squeeky toy or chew bone.

I assume considering his breed, he wants to be busy and maybe licking is his job. and he chews me when excited because he doesnt know any better.

Skyler gets about 1 1/2 hrs walking a day. plus 10 minutes of fetch about 3 times a day. dog park once sometimes twice a week.
we do obedience daily but usually not for 10 minutes. on the weekends he gets a hour or more a day

any tips for me to stop this behavior?
thanks

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Read the Sticky in the new Owner section: The Bite Stops Here

Tweaks to The Bite Stops Here:
1. When the pup bites, then yelp or say Ouch! It should sound about like what the pup does when you step on its paw...
don't step on her paw for a sample :). When you yelp, the pup should startle briefly and stop nipping. Praise and pet. he'll bite.
2. When he bites the second time, Yelp. When he stops, praise and pet. he'll nip again, although it may be a little gentler. ...
3. When he bites a third time, Yelp (see a pattern?). But this time, turn your back for 15 - 30 secs. If he comes around and play bows or barks, then that is an apology. Accept it, praise and pet... and cringe in expectation of the next nip... [Accepting the apology is important]
4. When he bites the 4th time, Yelp, then leave the area, placing him in a 2 min. time-out. It is better if you can leave, rather than moving him. Then, return and interact. (he's still hungry...)
5. When he nips the fifth time, yelp, and leave the area, stopping interaction for now.

Pups need to sleep over night in order to learn their lessons. So, keep doing this for 3 days. By the third day, you should notice signficant Bite Inhibition. he may still nip, but it will be softer and he won't draw blood. Keep up the training and make sure that everyone yelps.... Very powerful method.

If you learn the technique, then you can apply the "yelp" to other circumstances, also. I believe that "yelp" is "Please don't do that, I don't like it." in dog communication.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what about the licking? everytime he gets near me he licks me. i feel like im scolding him for coming near me :(

·
Banned
693 Posts
what about the licking? everytime he gets near me he licks me. i feel like im scolding him for coming near me :(
Licking is a really puppy-ish behavior and hopefully he'll grow out of it. Some scientists think that dogs licking you is just an extension of them smelling you. Following that reasoning, your puppy is just exploring you and the way you smell.

If he's licking your face, it's most likely because puppies lick their mother's faces in order to get them to regurgitate food for them. Have you tried turning your back or ignoring the behavior? When he starts licking and chewing your arms, do you stand up so he can't reach you, or does he start to jump on you?

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
The yelp method will also work for licking, if your timing is right... but be aware that once you stop him, he may never lick again.... Some people are fine with that......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts