Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

SOOO frustrated! Potty training nightmare

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Angela 
#1 ·
So I previously posted about my Boston Terrier Mika refusing to go outside in the grass. I believe she was used to going in a kennel before I got her, and that may be why she has such a problem going outside. I will stay out with her for 20+ minutes at the time, and she MIGHT go sometimes, usually not though. She has to be completely busting before she will go. Sometimes I know she has to go because it will be about an hour after shes ate and drank, and played, and not done anything. She is a little over 3 months old. I am trying to crate her, and have had great luck with it in the past. But she just doesnt seem to mind peeing and pooping ALL over herself. I even took the divider out of the crate and used puppy pads on one side, thinking she would use one side and lay on the other, but nope. She insists on balling the pad up and smearing her feces around all over the cage. Its driving me nuts!!! I go home during lunch to let her out, so its not like shes in there an extended period of time. How can I get her to stop doing this?! I can't even eat lunch anymore because I have to spend my whole break cleaning up poop!!!

#2 ·
first off, it will be fine, you guys will overcome this pooping stage. some dogs are harder to train than others, and especially for your puppy, she came from an environment where she was used to going inside her crate. my advise is don't scold her... show your dismay but don't scare the poor puppy. she'll be even more scared to poop in front of you = pooping in her crate when you're not there.
just be patient, you're doing just fine =)

#3 ·
So sorry to hear about your frustration. I hope it gets easier like Chloe says it will but I've heard that once a dog gets comfortable in their poop and pee that it's a pretty difficult habit to break. I have a 9 week old puppy so I am housebreaking as well. But the breeder had the puppies always peeing / pooping on newspaper and they were always clean. After only 2 accidents she has not gone since in her crate. She does, however, have accidents in the living room if I am not paying attention. Just the other day my girl pup, lifted up her leg like a boy and started to pee on my molding :eek:

I said, NO, and then picked her up and took her outside and praised her when she finished on the grass.

Have you tried feeding the dog in the crate? Someone suggested that to me and it seemed to *really* help. Sophie starting associating her house with where she gets fed and she stopped whining in there and having accidents in there. When you take your dog out of the crate and she has poop / pee all over her, what do you do first? Seems like you can react how you want her to react. Repeating yucky, lets get this caca off you and like you don't want to touch her, ewww stinky puppy. Then when she is all clean, praise her and say, "oh that's a good puppy, so clean, so nice" and you can pet her. Does your dog respond to praise? Everytime my puppy goes pee or poop I say, "Oh good girl go pee pee" or "Good girl go poo poo." And I say this pretty enthusiastically and sometime repeat it a couple times. I haven't started clicker training (not sure if I'm going to) but it might be worth it to look into. My praising for some reason doesn't distract my pup from doing her duties, but if you have a trouble dog -- it might. And getting her to associate a click with "a treat is coming" could be a good option to let her know that what you are praising her for is, going to the bathroom.

I remove the water 1/2 hr before I leave for work and try to get her to go pee right before I leave. Do you feed the pup at the same time every day?

Another suggestion is product that you can spray (not sure if it works or not? maybe someone else can comment) but they have a spray to encourage dogs to go and products that discourage dogs to go. You could spray encourage on the grass and discourage in the crate.

I hope something helps! I am sorry that the person you got this dog from let her pee /poop in the crate. What a disaster. I had a friend who got a beagle puppy who had a similar problem -- cleaning poop out from a crate like that is the worst.

Angela

#4 ·
I know you have tried adjusting the crate, but it could be that it is too tall for her right now and is giving her room to squat. You may want to try a kennel that when sitting down her head is just below the top of the cage or maybe a little lower just to make it uncomfortable for her to get into that position. Just my .02. Good luck.

Kai

#5 ·
Hi guys, thanks for all the advice! Although I probably shouldn't have, I gave up on the crate. I still have it, and she goes in it willingly to sleep, but I just keep a baby gate at the kitchen entrance and keep her in there while i'm not home and at night. She still has accidents, but for the most part she keeps herself out of it. I think slowly but surely she is getting a little better. She can't hold her pee but for about 30-45 minutes, so when i'm home with her, she goes outside very frequently, and when she goes I praise tremendously with good girl! good potty!! Then gets a treat as soon as we get back inside. But if she doesn't do anything, I dont even talk to her and she gets no treat. I have actually noticed her starting to give me signs that she has to go, but it always right when she HAS TO GO, lol. I can't get to the door quick enough a lot of times. She comes to me and stands up on my legs, then will go smell at the door. I think thats a good sign. What I don't understand, is that when she has accidents in the kitchen, she will pee where her food bowl is. Of course, its empty because I only feed her at certain times, but still...she knows thats where she eats! Seems to me she would do it as far away as possible, but she isn't particular at all where she goes. Hopefully we will get somewhere soon. I have even started setting my alarm for 5am to take her out. She is doing good holding it until then, but if I wait to take her at 8 am, she usually has messed. Wish me luck! I have never had this many problems just trying to housetrain a pup!

#6 ·
Great to hear, sounds like you are in more control. If she is going to mess, I'd much rather clean up a mess on my kitchen floor than from the crate where she has stepped in it and then tried to get out on all sides. I've seen that once before and I hope never again!

Sophie pooped in the kitchen this morning. I also installed a baby gate to separate the kitchen from the rest of the house. I took her outside first thing and she both pooped and peed and was slowly waking up, hadn't touched her food, and was distracted with this new toy I had given her. I thought it would be okay (since she was gated in the kitchen) to take a quick 5 min shower. WRONG LOL! When I got out there was a big pile of poop right by the garbage can. My thought is that I want to keep her out of the crate as much as possible, but I've realized that I need to put her in the crate no matter what, if I am not going to be in room. I think she only feels safe in the crate or when with someone, or unless she is exhausted / sleeping. My puppy is 10 weeks old (2 1/2 months).

Sounds like with your patience and positive reinforcement, your pup will get the hang of it in no time :)

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.