Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The living areas of our house are upstairs but our potty access to outside is downstairs. Should we leave the new puppies downstairs overnight with easier access to outdoors for overnight potty breaks or keep them closer to us upstairs ?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
First google litter-mate syndrome and ask yourself why you would get two puppies at the same time. It's not recommended.

Assuming you still go forward with getting two puppies, how old will they be?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Jen,
I we go through with the adoption of both puppies they would be very young at about 9 weeks. I’m on the fence about bringing both home and the article you referred me to provided some great insight that I hadn’t thought of.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
You could not pay me to adopt two, 9 week old puppies at the same time by choice.

I mean, if someone dumped them on my doorstep I would care for them until one or both could be adopted out kinda of scenario but going to a shelter or rescue and selecting two 9 week old pups? Nope. That is a stress and time suck to the max.

That said, I would say either upstairs or downstairs can work but in part depends on if the humans are light sleepers and how easily you can carry a puppy downstairs in the middle of the night without falling down said stairs. Or, crate puppy downstairs and sleep on the couch or an air bed for a couple weeks

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Just to throw in some more perspective... I work in a shelter and we have a buy one, get one policy for kittens. We flat out do not allow people to adopt two puppies.

Reason being, littermate syndrome is very real and it is horribly tragic when dogs become so emotionally reliant on each other that they fall into a true panic attack when the other is removed. I've seen it happen where each dog is emotionally handicapped for life.

I would highly recommend getting just one puppy.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Two puppies aren’t twice the work, they are four or five times the work. You have to do pretty much everything separately to avoid littermate syndrome. Like Shell, the only way I’d ever take on two puppies at the same time would be in a temporary emergency situation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the advice. After talking with family and friends and our prospective Vet, as well as the insight gained here, we have decided to adopt just one of the puppies. My “Gut” was starting to tell me something and I’m glad I was able to gain some knowledgeable insight.

·
Registered
549 Posts
To answer your question - it's really up to you. It's much easier for everyone to sleep if the dog is asleep next to you though, lol!

I kept my puppy in a crate in our room and just took her out for potty breaks. She really never had any accident on the way down.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Thanks everyone for the advice. After talking with family and friends and our prospective Vet, as well as the insight gained here, we have decided to adopt just one of the puppies. My “Gut” was starting to tell me something and I’m glad I was able to gain some knowledgeable insight.
That's great to hear! You save yourself a lot of stress there.

To answer your original question - at that age I would suggest keeping the puppy in a crate beside your bed for the first week or so since it will be his/her first time alone. You can just put your hand down to comfort/reassure the puppy. You will also be able to hear when he/she has to go out for potty (which will probably be once or twice a night for the first little while). Carry the puppy outside so he/she is less likely to pee on the way to the door.

Gradually (over several weeks) move the crate farther and farther from you into the position you want it to be permanently.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts