Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just find it very hard to keep my mouth shut. Today at work, a family came through the line I was working in, and they had some dog food and toys. The cashier asked them what kind of dog they had, and the little boy (probably 10 or so) said they had an English Mastiff, and had just gotten a 10 week old Great Dane. He then said they were going to breed them both. With each other. The parents didn't really acknowledge it, but I'm sure they heard it... It was so hard not to say something to them, but I couldn't because I was on the clock.

I couldn't believe they were planning on doing that... How would you guys have reacted? I mean, I really couldn't say anything, it could get me in trouble at work... I just needed to vent though, and thought I would share my story with people who may understand.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did kinda give the mother a look that said "Are you serious?" but she blew it off... Maybe I'm not good at that kinda look lo

·
Registered
637 Posts
perhaps he was lying, i used to say a lot of sh** when i was that age:p

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
LOL you guys.:D Since you were on the clock, and you're a pet expert, in the future you can tell people the horrors that come from breeding untested animals? Or just make stuff up.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I actually saw an ad for these types of puppies in my newspaper. They are called Daniffs. Well, no, they are really mutts but that is the fancy designer dog name for them I guess. This lady was trying to get 500 bucks a pup.....for mutts! URGH!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL you guys.:D Since you were on the clock, and you're a pet expert, in the future you can tell people the horrors that come from breeding untested animals? Or just make stuff up.
I could, but I don't work in any type of pet store... It's Costco, and they are really big on the whole "The customer is always right" thing. Granted, one complaint from one member wouldn't get me fired, but I'd rather not risk it lol. Believe me, I really wanted to talk to them, but I bit my tongue.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I probably wouldn't have said anything for a number of reasons.

1. It's a kid and as has been mentioned, who knows if it's true or not. Kids tell a lot of tall tales.

2. They didn't ask for advice

3. Mixed breeding isn't illegal, despite how we might feel about it.

As I've gotten older (I'm still only 19 lol) and kind of entered the 'adult' world, I've really adopted a different outlook on things. To me, randomly launching into a lecture about breeding is not only snobby, but it's inappropriate. And quite frankly, were I on the receiving end, it would not be appreciated (or likely heeded) in the least. You don't know these people and it's not your place to dispense what you feel is 'right' to them simply because you disagree with the breeding. It'd be no different then someone walking their APBT down the street and receiving the "Those dogs are vicious and should be killed" lecture. And beyond that, you just aren't going to 'reach' these people by randomly lecturing. The only purpose it would serve is to release your own steam and frustration. Which agian, isn't fair to the ones on the receiving end.

Next time instead, you can try casually suggesting a few sites with good breeding tips. Something along the lines of "Oh, I know a great site with information that could help you..." and let them learn for themselves. It's going to be much more effective and informative.

Now if they'd asked for advice that's a whole 'nother ball game. But yeah, I'm not in the business of randomly accosting people with my own opinions. I find it to be pretty rude.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well done on managing to keep quiet
WHY? would be the question I would have to ask.
Sorry to see you have the same type of idiots over there as we have over here in the UK.
Stripe

·
Banned
894 Posts
And the winner is:

1. It's a kid and as has been mentioned, who knows if it's true or not. Kids tell a lot of tall tales.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

As I've gotten older (I'm still only 19 lol) and kind of entered the 'adult' world, I've really adopted a different outlook on things. To me, randomly launching into a lecture about breeding is not only snobby, but it's inappropriate. And quite frankly, were I on the receiving end, it would not be appreciated (or likely heeded) in the least. You don't know these people and it's not your place to dispense what you feel is 'right' to them simply because you disagree with the breeding. It'd be no different then someone walking their APBT down the street and receiving the "Those dogs are vicious and should be killed lecture". And beyond that, you just aren't going to 'reach' these people by randomly lecturing. The only purpose it would serve is to release your own steam and frustration. Which agian, isn't fair to the ones on the receiving end.

Next time instead, you can try casually suggesting a few sites with good breeding tips. Something along the lines of "Oh, I know a great site with information that could help you..." and let them learn for themselves. It's going to be much more effective and informative.

Now if they'd asked for advice that's a whole 'nother ball game. But yeah, I'm not in the business of randomly accosting people with my own opinions. I find it to be pretty rude.
I do agree with you here too, I wasn't planning on lecturing them, but I sure wanted to know if they had done their research on breeding, etc. Owning an APBT mix, I know that those lectures are irritating, and I usually approach dog related things from a more helpful (i hope) point of view. I should look up some breeding sites, and try to remember them in case the opportunity arises. I know I'll probably never see these people again (or at least recognize them) since we have a couple thousand people in and out of the warehouse every day, but it would still be helpful to have that info on hand.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Yeah, I can understand that. You just have to be careful because a lot of the times, what may seem helpful to us really doesn't come across as such to the person receiving it. Especially if it's kind of outta the blue.

But yeah, sometimes you can offer advice in more passive ways that work for everyone. Such as suggesting the websites. I guess the point is just to stay away from any accusations, things such as "You do know breeding can result in..." or "Have you done your all the research needed?" because it generally just comes out insulting.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
You know... I agree with Dakota on this one too... About the whole, "Coming across as snobby"-part.

I go into pet-stores a lot... I used to go the dog park quite frequently too... And I'll say, that I'm a novice dog-owner, (used to be, now I'm "intermediate".) ;) lol. Anyway- I used to get so many people who would take it upon themselves to lecture me about the way I handle Donatello. First they ask, "Why do you do that?" and then the lecturing starts.

Like Dakota says, you can do it a more passive(aggressive) way, instead of just being aggressive and flat out asking them "WTF?" lol.

There are some people, and I'm not talking about anyone here on the forum, that would tell me I'm handling Donatello wrong, or- "That's not his problem at all, his problem is, is that he thinks he's the Alpha-Male, and you're to follow him." I would politely remind them, "Donatello has made so much progress since December that he's a completely different dog. So I must be doing something right. But thanks." And I would walk off, FUMING. Doing that to people does make you come off as snobby and "Mr./Mrs./Ms. Know-It-All"...

On here, this is a forum where people are ASKING for your advice, but outside the internet, people who just start lecturing without you asking for help... That's just rude, in MIO.

So I would say you did right Nala. : ) I don't think it would have hurt to ask them, "Oh, that sounds interesting, what kind of knowledge do you have in the matter because I know some friends that are shooting for the same thing and they have no idea where to start." I don't think that sounds insulting, and the customer wouldn't have been wiser to know you're lying. lol.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Keep your eye on the financial and job ball. You have a job and if saying something means jeopordising (that doesn't seem to be spelled right...) your job, keep quiet. Jobs are not ez to get these days.

Besides.. little kids will say anything. Harried Parents don't always respond and who knows what is really going on.

Sometimes the wise route is the MYOB route..... which is the route you took. Good 4 U

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Elana it's jeopardizing :) Might be with an S in other parts of the world though.

Yeah.. I'll agree with Dakota too. I hate having to keep my mouth shut, but I know I have to. Lectures like that don't do any good, really.. it usually just pisses the other person off and they go do what they want to do anyway.

Now, if the person actually strikes up a conversation with me, I might be a little less quiet.. like the time some woman asked me if Marge was a male (umm look for yourself?) because she was looking for a mate for her lab. I kind of gave her the "I don't believe in breeding pets" thing very briefly.. but I found it easier to just blow her off.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
OOoh I thought you worked at a pet store for some reason hehe. In light of this new discovery, you did right by keeping quiet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts