Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rant thread...
I spoke with my cousin the other day and he was talking about how they were going to find a new home for their dog. My uncle LOVED this dog for several years but now has grown tired of it, no one else in the family likes the dog (partly because my uncle loves it so much). They are talking about selling him on Kijiji, taking him to the shelter or... putting him to sleep!! Their rationale is that they gave him a good life for 5 or so years and now they dont want him anymore so thats it. My aunt is apparently known for "setting free" pets who are no longer wanted or cared for. I've been trying to talk them into keeping him or getting him into a rescue, I would take him myself if I was in a position to do it. I find the whole thing monstrous. How can you make an animal part of the family for years and then feel nothing about just killing it... because you're what, BORED?! These are good people, they take good care of their animals and family members and are well-educated.... WTF?!?!?!

·
Registered
671 Posts
rant thread...
I spoke with my cousin the other day and he was talking about how they were going to find a new home for their dog. My uncle LOVED this dog for several years but now has grown tired of it, no one else in the family likes the dog (partly because my uncle loves it so much). They are talking about selling him on Kijiji, taking him to the shelter or... putting him to sleep!! Their rationale is that they gave him a good life for 5 or so years and now they dont want him anymore so thats it. My aunt is apparently known for "setting free" pets who are no longer wanted or cared for. I've been trying to talk them into keeping him or getting him into a rescue, I would take him myself if I was in a position to do it. I find the whole thing monstrous. How can you make an animal part of the family for years and then feel nothing about just killing it... because you're what, BORED?! These are good people, they take good care of their animals and family members and are well-educated.... WTF?!?!?!
I'd rather put my dogs to sleep then rehome them and worry about them for the rest of my life...

Just sayin

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I'd rather put my dogs to sleep then rehome them and worry about them for the rest of my life...

Just sayin
Isn't that selfish? To take their lives just so you wouldn't worry?

I've known so many people who offed their pets when they were bored of them that I'm actually surprised when someone has an elderly pet. Sad.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I don't know your situation but.. is it possible that you take the dog for a week and then find a rescue? Say something like "oh him and my dogs weren't getting a long"

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Just sayin
Really?! Isnt living better than dying, with the possible exception of extreme abuse?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yeah if I was some how in a situation where I could no longer keep my dogs I would not put them to sleep. I would want them to live out their life, not cut short just to spare me some emotional pain.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know your situation but.. is it possible that you take the dog for a week and then find a rescue? Say something like "oh him and my dogs weren't getting a long"
If it came down to the wire I would certainly try. Its TERRIBLE timing for me though, I hope it doesnt come to that. He a big-heavy set pointer so he would need a massive amount of exercise and he is now 6 or 7 so it will be more difficult since he is older. I am trying right now to get him posted as a courtesy listing for rescues so at least there will be SOME screening for new homes instead of a kijiji buy. Really I hope my uncle changes his mind but I don't like their track record with other animals, no abuse but definitely a disposable mentality.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I know how you feel! I just had a family member SHOOT their dogs(my dogs mom and brother). I don't know if you saw my post in the Chat room(I think it is called that,lol) but I have a cousin who is a BYB and goes through dogs a lot also. I have been there and am in that situation right now and know how you feel. So ((Hugs) to you for trying to help.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the support. What else should I be doing for this dog? Looking among my friends, posting on Petfinder, trying to get him into local rescue care... I've never rehomed a dog so I'm not sure of the resources. Any more ideas anyone?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts

Just sayin
Personally, I think I would hate myself for killing my dog rather than finding them a new home. But that's just me.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I don't find it selfish at all. In this world today if I could never trust a person to care for my "children" the way I do. Granted, I have lived in my car (with them) for about a month just so I could keep them. I'd do it again in a second. It would take a LOT of me to get rid of them. They are honestly like my children.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I find it odd the idea that you would rather they die than take a chance at a new life. Thats part of why I have such a problem with my uncle's behaviour, those animals have a right to life that extends beyond my uncles whims. The decision to end another beings life shouldnt be taken lightly, "because I'm bored" isnt even nearly a good enough reason. Frankly, I dont think its a good enough reason to rehome the dog and throw away the responsibility he took on. I mean, jeez what if our family decided to do that to him? What if we decided he was being annoying and just took him to the vet...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Its totally different then just the dog being annoying. I'm not saying that I wouldn't be totally heartbroken, I'm saying that I feel that would be the most responsible thing to do. Maddie was a shelter dog, and she is SO attached to me, I could never abandon her. But like I said before, I cannot think of a circumstance where I would get rid of my dogs. Sometimes they are all that I have.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm, I disagree with you about euthanasia being the most responsible thing if you are forced to rehome. I just dont think its right to take another life under any circumstances unless there is a huge safety concern or overwhelming suffering. My uncles situation is different from that hypothetical one in that there is really no reason for it other than his whims. Its just... not right.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
It's selfish. You are killing a dog for your own feelings. Most dogs will adjust to a new home.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Where I live, no vet would comply if an owner wished that their healthy dog(s) be euthanised. Last year, an elderly lady died and she had two sighthounds (whippets or greyhounds, can't remember). She had arranged everything that would happen after her death and that included putting down her two dogs, because they were halfway into their teens and she wanted them to go with her when she went, not being able to bear the thought that they'd have to be rehomed at their old age, going to the shelter where it wasn't likely they'd get adopted, being a couple and being old dogs. The family respected her wishes, but the vet refused because though the dogs were old, they were otherwise healthy. The story was intriguing enough to make it to the newspapers.

Maybe you could contact a rescue yourself, if you haven't done that already? Maybe a reputable no-kill shelter? I don't have lots of ideas to offer, sorry.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts

Just sayin
I guess wife and I are also selfish as re-homing is not on our menu either.

Many years ago a Doxie dumped on us and found home for it. Found out couple years later that the people after 6 months had just dumped the dog on a road and this was not necessary because we had mentioned to them if dog did not work out return him.

That will never happen again.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I guess wife and I are also selfish as re-homing is not on our menu either.

Many years ago a Doxie dumped on us and found home for it. Found out couple years later that the people after 6 months had just dumped the dog on a road and this was not necessary because we had mentioned to them if dog did not work out return him.

That will never happen again.
Exactly. And no matter how many times you get pictures or go and visit, you never know. I don't know. Maybe it comes from owning horses my whole life. If my aunt wouldn't have been able to take my horses when my mom lost the house I would have had them put to sleep. A 5 year old double registered mare with champ bloodlines and a 10 year old grade gelding that you can throw anyone on and know they will be 100% ok. Horses go to auction way to easy these days. And dogs, well, lets face it. To someone who doesn't really care all that much, easily disposable. When I got that animal, I got it for its life. I may have not bred it but I would feel responsible if something happened.

ETA:
I have rehomed one animal. A mini stallion, who I was going to have pts (my aunt could only take two horses) but a friend of a friend offered to take him as a therapy pony for her autistic son. And trust me, he is perfect for the job! We have a notarized contract that is very specific and lengthy, written by a lawyer. Even that makes me nervous, and I see new pictures weekly of him on facebook!

·
Registered
13 Posts
that is sad, but the reality is so many people dumb their dogs for similar reasons. they should at least attempt to rehouse the doggie. putting a otherwise healthy dog to sleep is a waste...then again, abandoning it might give it a miserable life

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Thanks for the support. What else should I be doing for this dog? Looking among my friends, posting on Petfinder, trying to get him into local rescue care... I've never rehomed a dog so I'm not sure of the resources. Any more ideas anyone?
i would also be posting at vet clinics that would allow you to.....

and, on the note of euthanasia over rehoming? i have 5 BC's.....Saoirse could go to a new home easy and i have 3 already set for her JIC.....Finn would need a very special person to handle his DA and aloofness (nothing major, but it's there).....TirCeo has been w/ me for 8 yrs now and judging by her behavior when i leave her w/ ppl i know, rehoming would be extremely hard......Titch and Kilt have been w/ me since the day they were born and have never known any separation other than the hrs for work if they stay home (sometimes go w/ me).....however, i have it set that if anything were to happen to me (death) 2 trusted friends would take the last 4 mentioned, rehome the ones that can be, keep them all, or euth the ones that can't adjust (and the way things are, i think they would all have to be euth'd)......but, every chance would be given for a full life

does that make sense?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts