Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, last night was "Fun"! Seems like poor dog forgot everything he learned over previous days. He was going crazy in his kennel and i took him out like 30-40 min a part for a few times until i passed out and he had an accident in his crate (Which is Ok, i cleaned up and took him out.) after which he was going REALLY nutz as i know he really does not like to be rolling in his piss and that woke me up and i took him out. 20 min later nothing happen, which is understandable as he already went in his kennel. So that is is cool. Then my wife takes him out 90 min later - Nothing. Then i take him out about 2 hours later and after 30 min of seemingly having no idea what i want from him he finally "Blesses" me with an act of peeing. I praise, give cookie and we go inside.

So, the question is - How is it possible for him not wanting to go after 4 hours YET want to every 30 min in a row? That is crazy, i can not take his furry butt outside every night so often. 3-4 hours is perfectly fine, but not every 30 min. Any thoughts guys?

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
How old is the dog? I would set an alarm for myself to take the dog out every 2 hours during the night.

To help reduce the night time awakenings...pick up the water bowl 2 hours before bedtime, feed the puppy up to 6 months of age at 3 regular times during the day, have a rousing, tiring game of anything about 2-3 hours before bedtime, and be sure to take him out just before crating for bed. A few days of structured routine should help.

Don't wait for the puppy to whine for you to take him out during the night. He has learned that whining gets him out of the crate. If the constant whining continues (learned behavior) then put the crate at the other end of the house so you can get some sleep, but set that alarm. I would rather have a few crate clean ups until he learns, but still get some sleep.

·
Registered
44 Posts
25PSi....I feel your paine! Briteday is right. Get him/her on a set routine! I have a 3 month old puggle and the first night I put cooper in his crate he screamed!!!!!!! So I felt bad and got up and let him sleep on my chest...BIG NO,NO!!!! The following night I put him in his crate and he screamed for about an hour! Thankfully I turned to the DF and asked what I should do with his crying at night and everyone said to IGNORE him! Cooper is put in his crate at 9pm after about and hour of exercise,play and potty! He sleeps untill about 2-3am and I get him up and take him outside and faithfully he pees and poops EVERYDAY at this time(unless cooper wakws me up then that means he has already peed in his crate, I try to get to him before he wakes up). I do not talk to him nor do I turn any lights on. I want him to know this time is time for him to go potty ONLY not play time! When he is done i pick him up and put him back in his crate untill about 5-6am and then he starts screaming again. I get up everyday during the week at 6 so I think he is use to my routine! How old is your dog? Is he a small breed or a large breed?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
20 min later nothing happen, which is understandable as he already went in his kennel. So that is is cool. Then my wife takes him out 90 min later - Nothing. Then i take him out about 2 hours later and after 30 min of seemingly having no idea what i want from him he finally "Blesses" me with an act of peeing. I praise, give cookie and we go inside.

So, the question is - How is it possible for him not wanting to go after 4 hours YET want to every 30 min in a row? That is crazy, i can not take his furry butt outside every night so often. 3-4 hours is perfectly fine, but not every 30 min. Any thoughts guys?
So, you always have to go pee the same amount of time apart? Do you go to the bathroom every 4 hours on the dot?

Don't take him out of the crate when he's crying. Take him out every 3-4 hours. Pick up water 1 hour before bed time and don't put him in until he's gone potty.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys.

He is a Sheppard/Lab/Something else mix of 13 weeks. I take him on 3 walks a day and water is taken away at 6pm or so. I do let him lick down an ice cube after each trip to pee outside so he does not dehydrate.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I new here also but I have had cooper for 4 weeks and I am on this forum EVERYDAY(I have no life). I have gotten some great advice on here! Routine is the key. When a puppy is that young they technically need to go out every 3 hours at the most. I dog does not like to deficate where they sleep, this is very upsetting to the dog. What was his routine before this accident?

Is his crate the right size? he should only be able to turn around in it and lay down! If the crate is too big he will go to the bathroom in it!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes crate is divided with divider. He can only sleep in it stretched diagonally and just turn around.

Night and day before was perfect!!! I would take him for 3 min and he would go. Then 1am and 4am and then 6:30am. No accidents, no nothing.

But this night was terrible - he whined and barked and made scared monkey sounds for a REALLY long time, close to an hour. And i got up to take him out 3 times within like 2 hours (12 to 2 or so) and then he was going nutz again closer to 4:30 and i got up to take him out again and he pissed all over his crate and was sitting in own urine.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
He's 13 weeks - get ready to put up with this for awhile. He's a puppy and puppies will pee when they feel like it until they are trained. Get on a schedule and adjust to his peeing/pooing pattern. Record every time he pees and when he poos. Make a note of when you feed him and how long after he poos. For example my puppy is a double pooper at night but a single dumper in the morning.

Also taking away water at 6PM is a little too early.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with westhighlander. My cooper is 12 weeks and I havent slept in 4 weeks. Cooper goes to bed at 9(the past few day I have been too) and im getting up around 2:30 to take him out. Take your dog out for the last time at night and put him in his crate. Set an alarm for 3 hours later and take him out again(I know it sucks TRUST ME!) and again when you get up. When you take him out during the night dont talk to him or turn the lights on so this way he will know this time is for doing out to the bathroom only not play time. When he finishes bring him in and put him back in his crate and go back to bed. If he screams put a pillow over your head or those yellow foam ear plugs work good too. IGNORE HIM! I have also been giving him bathroom commands(good boy you go pee). Say this while he is going to the bathroom not sniffing around and this way he will eventually go to the bathroom on command. Westhighlander also suggested putting a kong in coopers crate. Cooper loves his knong, I put soft food in it and he will work on it till he get every last bit out. You could also try that for your baby. A special treat for the crate only. The only other thing I can say is its going to be a long road but it wont last forever, Be patient it will get easier! Read alot of the other posts also youll find some great info! The dog forum has been my doggy bible these past 4 weeks.....GOOD LUCK!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He poops in the morning while we doing morning walk and evening while evening walk. Or at least that is how it had been so far.

Well, check this out. You say ignore him when he screams if its not his time to go yet (Say 2am) but what if he REALLY needs to go b4 for whatever reason???? Still ignore him and let him piss in the crate?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Maybe it was just an off night for him ? I know every few days my 12 week old girl girl drives me crazy and seems way off schedule. Then the next day she is back to normal. Maybe just an off night. Chances are with a young puppy if they wake up they need to pee its just the way it goes. I do last out at 11:30, but I have to wake up at 5:30. Most mornings I have to wake her up ! See how tonight goes. If he cries in the night I would take him out, no talking and right back to bed. Good Luck ! There are a few of us doing the puppy thing right now, for me its all trial and error, and learning from my mistakes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
sierra is right! But if your baby is taken out and pees and poops and then 30 minutes later he starts crying again mostlikely he just wants to be let out of the crate. just like a baby if a baby cries and you run over and pick them up they know thats how to get your attention.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
He poops in the morning while we doing morning walk and evening while evening walk. Or at least that is how it had been so far.

Well, check this out. You say ignore him when he screams if its not his time to go yet (Say 2am) but what if he REALLY needs to go b4 for whatever reason???? Still ignore him and let him piss in the crate?
Welcome to puppyhood! As already mentioned pups don't go on a precise schedule any more than we do. But the more strictly you schedule everything from food and water (yes, water but not to give any less just to schedule when you offer it so that you have a better idea when he'll probably need to go out) to play and training times, the easier it will gradually become.

If you've taken him out and he's done his business within a short period of time before he starts whining, then, yes, ignore him. And anytime you do go to take him out of his crate, if he's acting up wait until he's quiet and settled down. Then, first praise him for being quiet and after that take him out of the crate to do whatever you were planning to do.

Accidents will happen so just be patient with both your pup and yourself. He's a baby and does not yet have control over those muscles. And, you are merely human and, so far as I know you do not have a working crystal ball so you're going to miss cues or not have perfect timing all the time. One thing I didn't see mentioned -- are you cleaning up accidents with an enzyme cleaner?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, i clean them with pee cleaner. And i never let him out if he is loud, BUT he calms in an instant if i am in front of his cage, so i do not know how far that is.

Today was a lot better - 11pm out, 2am out, 5:30am out, 7:30am out and he did it within 5 min each time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts