Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ceelee, our 1 yr old large mix breed pup, loves to chew. We've tried several types of chew toys and they just don't last. Right now we give her store bought raw-hides to appease her big and powerful mouth. The raw-hide bones don't last much more than an hour or so.

We have yet to try a kong, though we may be picking one up later this week. Besides a kong, does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be able to stand up to a seriously strong chewer?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Our pup is a power chewer too. She gets through bully sticks and rawhides in well under an hour. We gave her a Himalayan Dog Chew the other day and that seems to be just okay - it's taking her a little more time to consume because it's so hard, but she's really chipping off pieces of it so I wouldn't leave it with her unsupervised. But you could try that. It's like a block of extremely hard cheese.

The only thing that consistently works for us are Nylabones, the big ones. In particular, the ring-shaped ones are good - but we like them all. We also have a Kong but she doesn't so much chew on it. For chewing purposes, Nylabones are where it's at.

You could also try rope toys. Again, not unsupervised, but that seems to be an enjoyable chewing experience too.

(I would be careful of the rawhides BTW, since they're not digestible they can cause blockages if your pup eats big chunks.)

·
Registered
110 Posts
If she eats rawhides under an hour, I wouldn't keep giving them to her. They can cause them to have diarrhea and/or vomiting if they eat them too quickly in large amounts.

Have you tried those really big, meaty looking bones?
Like this:

I bought those for my dogs and I noticed they were extremely hard.

These ones are good too. They are rock hard bone filled with cheese or peanut butter or whatever. No dog of mine has ever gotten through them:

Pig hooves are also really good as well, but they kinda stink like a petting zoo when they get wet, lol!

Those are some of my suggestions.
What sort of breeds is your dog mixed with, do you know?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Sorry to derail the topic but isn't giving your dog really hard things to chew on bad for their teeth? I know my boyfriend's aunt has an older dog whose canines are like stumps because she gave her really hard bones like the ones R.Scott mentioned and I've heard of dogs cracking teeth.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What sort of breeds is your dog mixed with, do you know?
Here's a thread with some pix.

Sorry to derail the topic but isn't giving your dog really hard things to chew on bad for their teeth? I know my boyfriend's aunt has an older dog whose canines are like stumps because she gave her really hard bones like the ones R.Scott mentioned and I've heard of dogs cracking teeth.
Don't apologize. Your comment is welcome and is right on topic. I too would like to know if people have had issues using the hard bones. Honestly I've stayed away from them because of how hard they are but if they're ok to give her then they are worth a shot.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
I too would like to know if people have had issues using the hard bones. Honestly I've stayed away from them because of how hard they are but if they're ok to give her then they are worth a shot.
My dog's a power chewer... He's chipped his molars (probably on raw bones way back) but it is only the tips and hardly noticeable. I will occassionally let him chew on hard things (himilayan chews, bones etc) but under supervision.
Antlers are my favorite general-chew-item so far. He has Nylabones for those moments when he just really wants to chew... But regular brushing is our primary means for keeping teeth clean. Because of the way he handles chews, I can't depend solely on chew items for his dental health.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
+1 for antlers! You have to get decent ones, however.

I tried a "cheap" little antler - it splintered and had to be thrown away. I spent a few more bucks on a better antler a few months ago and she's barely made a dent in it. The good ones do not chip or splinter but turn into powder - which apparently is also a good source of minerals/calcium etc...

Worth a try...and it may be more expensive than a kong or stuffed bone, but they last forever and IMO are safer.

·
Registered
507 Posts
DuraChews from Nylabone are the only chewies (apart from bones) that my dog can't destroy in moments. She seems to enjoy them; she's killed two or three of them in two years. They come in different sizes but they're heavier than they look, so get the smallest one your dog won't inhale in one gulp.

·
Registered
559 Posts
+1 to Nylabones. Hobbes (60lb lab/pit/? mix) will gnaw on those things forever. They don't break apart, smell bad, or leave a nasty mess all over either. I don't know how long it would take him to go entirely through one, after a couple of months of chewing they get so gross I replace them. But they're definitely durable and long-lasting.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
We do frozen/stuffed kongs - I stuff them with a mixture of peanut butter, yogurt, pumpkin and various kibbles and oddly shaped treats and then freeze them. My all time favorite is antlers. They are mess free and last months (for a hard one - the softer ones go in no time). The split ones go fast as do small ones - I always order a size to big (that has never stopped them) so they last longer. My dogs love them and they don't leave a mess on my rented carpet!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The next time I go shopping I'll see about picking up something different.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Antlers are awesome!! I bought one for 8 bucks a couple months ago, and Shippo has been chewing away at it since then. It hasn't broken or splintered. He's simply able to wear away at the end of it slowly. It's about halfway gone now. Nothing has lasted longer, except the Nylabone, and they only like the chicken flavored one in a certain size, which I can't seem to find in stores anymore!

So yes. Antlers. Best 8 bucks I ever spent on a chew. =3

Eevee broke one of her molars in half chewing one of those super hard processed bones up there... cost $560 for a surgical extraction at the vet. DX

·
Registered
127 Posts
Antlers are great! Jack could chew all day if we let him. Our local pet food warehouse carries all kinds of antlers. Jack has has moose, elk and regular deer antlers and is a big fan of them all. Even though he's a Boston Terrier I do not buy him small ones - it get the large or extra large ones and they last for months. They are worth the $20 I spend on them.

We are also big fans of Nylabones - big, hard ones for Jack and medium size soft ones for Maddie our Boston/Pug mix (she's a very sof chewer). They only thing is I have to watch Jack like a hawk if Maddie has her soft one. He will grab it and hide under the bed and chew it to a nub.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
for my kids i prefer to use either raw bones or cow hooves (they don't seem to stink as bad as the pig hooves do :D)....they have the hooves around all the time but the raw bones are only given once a wk to start them off....it generally takes them about 3-4 days to finish them off.....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I picked up a long lasting Nylabone and I must say I'm quite surprised. At first she didn't want to touch it, sitting there waiting for her usual chew item. Once she figured out that this was all she got, she started chewing away. It's holding up very well. I always thought these things would break apart and she'd swallow the chunks. We're going to keep an eye on it, but so far I stand corrected. I also purchased a filled bone, but since she took to the Nylabone I think I'll wait to give her that. Thanks for the advice everyone!

·
Registered
3 Posts
We do frozen/stuffed kongs - I stuff them with a mixture of peanut butter, yogurt, pumpkin and various kibbles and oddly shaped treats and then freeze them. My all time favorite is antlers. They are mess free and last months (for a hard one - the softer ones go in no time). The split ones go fast as do small ones - I always order a size to big (that has never stopped them) so they last longer. My dogs love them and they don't leave a mess on my rented carpet!
I agree!! I did a lot of research and found that out of all the antlers (deer, elk and moose) Moose are the hardest -- I tried a moose antler from maine, and my dog loves them!! This company has two cuts -- a flat cut they call the shovel, which they say is better for puppies and older dogs, and the tynes/splits -- my dog still chewing his months later and it is durable!! no mess like raw hide, no smell, they are non splintering too. try them!! http://acadiaantlers.weebly.com/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts