Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if there's something safe I can get for my dog to chew? He really loves rawhides but I found out recently that they're not particularly safe. He has a nylon bone that he was enthusiastic about for a little while, but he lost interest in an hour and has never gone back to it. I worry about giving him hard bones because he's a powerful, determined chewer. I'm just afraid he'll splinter off little bits and hurt himself.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
KONG brand rubber chews, of the right size and durability level. They are color coded for toughness, the black are the extreme chewer ones. The classic shape can be filled with peanut butter or canned dog food etc (try freezing it with the dog food inside)

The ball shape can't hold treats but its good for fetch with a dog that likes to chew on whatever he retrieves

West Paw makes some high quality toys, they are not cheap but they are guaranteed (basically a one time return or replacement)

Goughnuts are supposed to be super durable and guaranteed, I have not tried them

·
Registered
12 Posts
Also, my dog loves Himalayan chews. When the piece of Himalayan chew gets too small, you can microwave it & it can be consumed as a treat (so the whole thing is safely eaten).

·
Registered
510 Posts
For edible chews I prefer beef/cow ears or tendons to rawhide. Bully sticks are another option for an edible chew that is more digestible than rawhide. But these are 'one sitting' chews, not something that will last or (at least in my experience with glutton dogs! lol) be around longer than a half hour or so.

Deer antlers, cow hoofs & goat horns are other (better than rawhide) options for moderate to hard chewers & will last quite a while.

Be VERY careful with hard chews such as Nylabones (or any similar brand/option, as well as the above mentioned hard chews) due to the risk of tooth fracture. Moderate chewers are OK with such items, those power chewers can/will slab-fracture teeth, leading to extractions & $$$ in doggy dental bills!

Stuffed Kongs (or similar) frozen or otherwise, can also satisfy some dog's need to chew!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Also, my dog loves Himalayan chews. When the piece of Himalayan chew gets too small, you can microwave it & it can be consumed as a treat (so the whole thing is safely eaten).
^ yes those himalayan (yak is what I get) are really great and usually last my dogs a day or two. They come in packs of 3.
Thanks for the recommendation folks. I just ordered one from Amazon.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Bully sticks and cow hooves are the big favorites here, with hooves lasting longer. We had to put a clamp on the bully sticks for a while to prevent my youngest from trying to swallow the last 3+ inches whole, but he's much better at not doing that now. We also do get raw, meaty bones as an occasional chew (usually instead of a meal) - since I have smaller dogs, chicken necks or thighs work for us, but with a bigger dog turkey necks are great, as are pig feet or lamb ribs. We do also allow them to chew raw leg bones donated by my in-laws (they hunt, so deer and moose mostly), but they're supervision only and removed if the dogs start really trying to chomp hard or they're starting to get really gross or dry.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Can anyone recommend particular Himalayan chews? I looked at them on Chewy and wasn't sure which ones any of you meant. They didn't all look the same, and I even wondered if they all were really made from the same thing. Big dogs who are hard chewers in my case.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've feed my dogs then KATHMANDU's. Aviod the brand simply called Himalayan dog chew, they suck.
Oh man, I just order the Himalayan brand and it will be delivered tomorrow. :(
They had 4½ stars on Amazon, what's the issue with them?

·
Banned
242 Posts
They break apart, I've tried it two different times thinking it was a fluke.. Both just crumbled and I didn't feel safe feeding to my dogs.

·
Registered
136 Posts
good luck, maybe I'm just bad luck lol. If its too crumbly, jutst microwave it and use it that way
Didn't try it out today because it rained and I couldn't take her out for a run and I don't to give her this unless she's had some good exercise first.
What does microwaving them do?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Raw, non weight bearing bones are very good. I use Rib and Knuckle bones. They can consume them with no ill effects but you must watch the size as they get smaller they can become a choking hazard.

An aside, the use of raw meaty bones also keep teeth very very clean for the life of the dog.

·
Registered
136 Posts
They break apart, I've tried it two different times thinking it was a fluke.. Both just crumbled and I didn't feel safe feeding to my dogs.
Well we finally tried it out today. I wasn't crumbly at all and she loves. She just chewed it for an hour and a half and hardly put a dent in it. The problem is she is 40# and the chew is the size of a large stick of butter. She has trouble getting a good bite in it with her back teeth. Maybe that's a good thing? I packaging said it was for dogs up the 55# but it seems way too big.
My wife just took her for a walk, so I took the chew and put it in a plastic bag. Do they need to be stored in a refrigerator between uses? It just says a cool dry place on the package, but being made from milk...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I mostly give my dogs Bully sticks (in holders), & Galileo bones. The puppy does get a smaller Nylabone sometimes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts