Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Round #1: Aidan is barking and howling and running from the window to the front door (which is plexiglass framed with wood). The motion sensor light goes on beside the house. I turn off all the lights downstairs so I can see out. We live in the country, with no close neighbors, lot of fields and woods, and a stream in a ravine about 12' behind our house.

I yell for one of my teenage sons to come down to help me. My first thought is that someone has had an accident and needs help (like a phone). Then my mind turns to serial killers who fake needing a phone and bears and other large wild animals. It is a dark and rainy night. These things never happen when it is bright as daylight outside thanks to the moon and no cloud cover.

I turn on the porch light and look out the window. Above the stone wall of the porch, I can see what looks like the back of a tan cow or a boulder or a serial killer hidden in something so he can jump out at me. I have never been very close to a cow, and I'm not sure what one would do, but I do have farmers around here I can call who will help.

It turns out to be the reflection of an armchair in the living room. This is disappointing because there is no clue that an adventure awaits us.

My son, Aidan, and I go outside with a flashlight. It is pitch black beyond the exterior lights. It is totally silent. I am worried about being attacked from behind by Something, so I keep turning around to scan the area.

So we go down the hill toward the side of the house where the light went on. I get down 3 of the steps that are cut into the hill, and Aidan is ahead of me. Suddenly he backs up and sits on my feet. He's not going anywhere, and neither am I. We are both Big Chickens. My son continues and when he went out of sight, Aidan made a high-pitched whine I've never heard before.

Nothing was out there that we could see.

I decided not to go explore during rounds 2, 3, and 4.

I think I'll get some night vision goggles. It drives me nuts not to be able to see when it is pitch black outside. There is too much land for a flashlight to be really useful.

I wonder what Aidan would have done if we had seen something, likely a deer. He'd probably hightail it to the front porch. I never thought for a minute he would be protective, though he is a good watchdog.

I'm not going to dwell too much on what I would do if there was Something Big lurking around out there. I'd probably run inside and freak out, kind of like what I do when I see a mouse in the house.

Round #5 has begun.

·
Banned
241 Posts
I think I'll get some night vision goggles. It drives me nuts not to be able to see when it is pitch black outside. There is too much land for a flashlight to be really useful.

IF you are serious I can help you with some links to info on this.

Cheap stuff 'needs' a light source such as moonlight. The expensive stuff does not.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
That would freak me out for sure! :)

Once when I was a kid we were sitting in my Uncles kitchen ... he lived in the middle of nowhere too ...and some huge round glowing things were peering in the window at us. Everybody freaked out and shut off the lights. My Uncle got the gun ... went outside around the back way to sneak up on the intruder...and low and behold ...it was one of the neighbors lost cows! Lol! :) Your story brought back a good childhood memory ... thanks! :)

In all seriousness ... I'd be running for the nearest door to get back inside the house! Lol! :) I live out in the woods too ... and I am always cautious when I am out at night with the dogs. You never know who could be lurking around.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Karma does this all the time when I take her out at night, though I've actually seen her in serious protective mode now so I'm not entirely worried anymore as i can tell the difference. Still it's creepy when she suddenly gets all alert and freezes and stares into the woods behind our home for what seems like forever.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Oh dear I have had some scary calls. Ava is a great protector from what I have seen. Which actually surprises me cause she is normally a big chicken too. When we lived in a rural area my husband decided it was best to get a gun just in case. I am glad he did because I have had enough close calls.

One night when me and Ava were alone (my hubby was on watch which is like a military term for standing guard) I was getting ready for bed. I was getting into my PJs and such and crawled into bed. Normally when Jared isn't home Ava sleeps with me but when I turned to ask Ava to jump up into bed...she wasn't looking at me...she was looking at the window. The blinds were closed but in the way where you can kinda see through it if you look hard enough. She stared at the window so intently I started to giggle, but then the hair on the back of her neck raised up...and I stopped laughing. She took a few steps toward the window and started to bare her teeth and let out a deep growl. I had never heard her growl up until this point. I listened real close and I could hear the ever so quiet sound of rustling against the building, there were no plants again the building so I knew it had to be a person. I lay in bed listening for a few minutes and then everything went quiet, I grabbed my phone and got down by the blinds. I built up my courage to look out the blinds. Just outside my window I saw the edge of someones white shirt. I quickly jumped behind the end of the bed where I couldn't be seen. I dialed 911 and quickly told the lady what was happening she told me to stay on the line until the police got there. However as I was waiting for the police to show up the silence was broken by the sound of my screen door being opened ever so slightly. Ava stood at the bedroom door ears forward and a defensive stance held. Luckily whoever it was decided it would not be in their best interest to enter and bothered the door no more. Shortly after the police arrived. Sadly they told me I was not the only person who has had this scare.

I was pretty freaked, but I found out Ava is far more protective than I ever realized. Now Miko I don't know, I think he might if it were suspicious circumstances because he get weary of people acting in strange ways. Like if I get the creeps so does he lol

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IF you are serious I can help you with some links to info on this.

Cheap stuff 'needs' a light source such as moonlight. The expensive stuff does not.
Thank you. I would appreciate that. I knew the cheap ones weren't any good for pitch dark, but that is the extent of my knowledge.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Once Shug was going bonkers. It was right after they got her so my parents thought that maybe she sometimes goes bonkers for no reason or there was a rabbit outside or something. They took a peek out the back door but didn't see anything. Turns out someone was TP-ing their neighbor's tree :p. They said they'll definitely call the cops the next time she goes bonkers for no apparent reason.

It really freaks me out when a dog acts like there's something in the fireplace or down the air vent, or just stares and growls at a spot on the wall. Spooky!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was pretty freaked, but I found out Ava is far more protective than I ever realized.
I would have been freaked out too. We don't have any guns and it takes the state police at least 45 minutes to get here. One time I heard a woman screaming bloody murder and it took the cops an hour to get here, and by then the screaming had stopped. Mind you, others who heard it thought it was a cat on the prowl -- a regular cat, not a wildcat. I've heard cats before, and it sounded like a human being to me.

Everyone except us has plenty of guns. When we first moved here (first time living in the country), I told my husband that I was hearing so many gunshots that this must be what people who live in bad areas in inner cities have to live with. He didn't believe me -- thought it was cars backfiring -- until he heard it for himself. I know a guy who has a small business who walks around with his gun in a holster in plain sight (ex-MP). PA is a lot different than Boston, where we are from.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
My Uncle got the gun ... went outside around the back way to sneak up on the intruder...and low and behold ...it was one of the neighbors lost cows! Lol! :)
Right across the street, there is a dairy farm with 100 cows, and down the street there are two families who raise beef cattle. I have been waiting for a cow to show up at my place, but so far no luck.

Are cows friendly? I mean, besides calling a neighbor who would know whose cow it was and how to contact them, what should I do if one shows up? Can I pat it? How do I keep it safe so it doesn't go in the road and get hit by a car?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aidan sits on the stairs (inside) so he can get a clear view of the window and the front door whenever he is alarmed. It's always at night, and usually when it is pitch black outside. I'm sure he can hear wild animals wandering around.

Since he tore down the blinds and the curtain over the front door so he could see out, I bought some decorative film to put on the inside glass of the storm door. Aidan won't like it, but even though a cow pasture is across the road, I still don't like the idea that anyone can look in our house at night.

The door itself is one big piece of plexiglass surrounded by a wood frame. I'm thinking of getting a window guard for it so Aidan will stop digging at it whenever anyone comes to the door. I did not realize that any dog would stand on its hind legs and dig frantically at a door to get out to greet someone, until we got Aidan.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It really freaks me out when a dog acts like there's something in the fireplace or down the air vent, or just stares and growls at a spot on the wall. Spooky!
Aidan doesn't do that yet. Our dining room floor has a vent that nothing is attached to that leads to the basement. Aidan's favorite thing to do when the kids are sitting on the futon watching tv down there is to drip water from his beard on them. He will stand over that vent and drip and bark, in hopes someone will invite him down there. He rarely gets his wish because he gets into everything and teenagers aren't good about stopping him.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
When I was a kid I had a best friend who was a couple years younger then me. Her grandparents use to take off on weekends and would have her come up to babysit there dogs (4 shelties), and since it was way out in the middle of nowhere and I was older, her mom liked having me stay with her up there incase anything weird happened. On one memorable night, we were sitting in the living room, watching a movie when the dogs started FREAKING out at the glass windows (the house bordered a large wrap around deck with glass windows) and the motion lights came on. Outside there were about 4 coydogs standing on the deck, looking in the windows at us. We FREAKED out, grabbed the dogs and ran into one of the upstairs bedrooms and called her stepdad, who arrived 15 minutes later with a gun. But by this time the Coydogs were gone. Never saw them again, but then again that was the last time we were there without an adult.

I still get chills thinking about it 15 years later.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Right across the street, there is a dairy farm with 100 cows, and down the street there are two families who raise beef cattle. I have been waiting for a cow to show up at my place, but so far no luck.

Are cows friendly? I mean, besides calling a neighbor who would know whose cow it was and how to contact them, what should I do if one shows up? Can I pat it? How do I keep it safe so it doesn't go in the road and get hit by a car?
This particular cow was friendly. My Uncle put a rope around her neck and slowly led her back over the field to the farmers house. I have not had much real experience with cattle. :) I would probably try to tie a cow to a very sturdy tree while I called someone for assistance ... and a very thick rope! :)

I would NEVER mess with a bull! I would be on the phone for that!

EDIT: That screaming in the woods could have been a screech owl ... they sound like someone being murdered ... and very human like.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
EDIT: That screaming in the woods could have been a screech owl ... they sound like someone being murdered ... and very human like.
Thanks for the cow advice. I'm probably never going to luck out and have a cow over here, but just in case, it is good to know what to do. The farmers are so busy that I don't want to add dealing with a Citiot to their days, or I'd ask to meet a cow.

Screech owl sounds a lot more likely than a cat. We do have owls around. I didn't like taken Aidan out late at night when we first got him and he weighed 8 lbs. because we definitely have great horned owls. I bet people who drove by thought I was nut because I'd stand next to Aidan and flap my arms, trying to look so big that one wouldn't try to capture Aidan.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I was walking home from work with Kaki one night when I heard screaming. It sounded like a woman or child. The hair stood up on my neck amd I ducked behind some retaining walls trying to get a peak to where it was coming from. I had my phone ready to cal 911 and, of course, my adrenaline started flowing.

... It was a fox. I guess it was some kind of mating call bit it was a fox. I held Kaki back and stood there watching it scream. I would've bet money that it was a person!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I would have been freaked out too. We don't have any guns and it takes the state police at least 45 minutes to get here. One time I heard a woman screaming bloody murder and it took the cops an hour to get here, and by then the screaming had stopped. Mind you, others who heard it thought it was a cat on the prowl -- a regular cat, not a wildcat. I've heard cats before, and it sounded like a human being to me.

Everyone except us has plenty of guns. When we first moved here (first time living in the country), I told my husband that I was hearing so many gunshots that this must be what people who live in bad areas in inner cities have to live with. He didn't believe me -- thought it was cars backfiring -- until he heard it for himself. I know a guy who has a small business who walks around with his gun in a holster in plain sight (ex-MP). PA is a lot different than Boston, where we are from.
Owls can sound like that. I grew up in the country and I was still taken by surprise by an owl last year. I was sitting out by a fire in the fire ring at a the property I had just bought, and the screaming started in the woods only about 3-400 ft away.. I swore it was person and was thinking who the heck would be out here in my woods after dark making that racket thinking just a nephew or someone. This went on for a minute or two. My brother thought it was person too, and his friend that was with us though it was me doing it..

After a couple of minutes I got up to walk over to the woods and have a look when it finally the screaming changed to something recognizable as an owl and I knew immediately what it was. An owl that likely didn't appreciate us camping out in his turf he had been using for the last several years the land had been vacant.

I've heard the same owl many times since, but I have never heard it make such a human sounding screaming bloody murder noise again.

Hope was there with me as well, but didn't do anything but look. I think she's of the opinion that I'm far bigger and far better suited for defending us than she is... ;)

Though I have seen her go off at something and get very ferocious, pouncing up and down on her front feet, hair standing up from neck to tail, pawing dirt 6 feet behind her with all four paws and growling and barking violently showing teeth.. I went out towards where she was looking to see what it was and saw nothing, but when I turned around and saw her looking right through me and still going off like that I got a good idea of what she would look like if she was directing that aggression at me and it made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.. She looked quite scary, if I was an intruder I would definitely run..

As for cows, they are generally gentle just big. Bulls escape more than cows though and some are gentle, some not so much, and some are just mean. If there were one out at night I would just call the neighbors and get the owner to come get it.. Out in the country you should have all your neighbors phone numbers anyway.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I was walking home from work with Kaki one night when I heard screaming. It sounded like a woman or child. The hair stood up on my neck amd I ducked behind some retaining walls trying to get a peak to where it was coming from. I had my phone ready to cal 911 and, of course, my adrenaline started flowing.

... It was a fox. I guess it was some kind of mating call bit it was a fox. I held Kaki back and stood there watching it scream. I would've bet money that it was a person!
Yeah fox screams are VERY eerie. First time I ever heard one was actually last summer while on a bike trip. We were camping in a patch of woods and woke up to one screaming about 10 feet from our tent. For about 20 seconds, complete and total chaos broke out in that tent.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
I hear foxes screaming all the time here -- I believe it's a territorial thing. I saw one sitting a few feet away from a cat and screaming at it a couple weeks ago! The cat didn't seem to care. Here's a video (well, it's pitch black; it's just audio) of fox screams for those who haven't heard it before!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts