Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zoey has a patch of fur on her back just before her tail where the ends tend to get a little dry looking.. I've been using some human products on the ends to help (it's not working very well) and today I read about Vellus Satin Crème . It's supposed to be really good for keeping hair soft and moisturizing the ends.. but it's pretty pricey, and I could only find ONE place online to buy it (At least google shopping only showed one :( ) So I'm wondering if anyone knows of a product that may be a bit more available that would have a similar effect? I'd really appreciate any suggestions. :)

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
One...Human products will not aid your dog's skin and coat, no matter how 'moisturizing' they claim to be; they are ph balanced for us, not your dog, so they are likely part of the reason her coat is drying out.

Two if your going to spend a pricey amount on a conditioner for her, get one specifically made for her in mind; there are many out there, and they are much better than something you can find for us humans, I can assure you; atleast for her coat, and skin health that is! ;)

Go search online at places like petedge.com, groomerschoice.com, or groomers.com and you will find a whole array of products that will suit your Zoey's needs!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Actually dog and human shampoos are ph balanced at 7. A dogs ph balance can range from 2.5 to 9.

You can try added salmon oil (pure) or flax seed oil to your dogs diet..

However I really don't think anything going to help because the hair that your referring to that's dry is only that way because that's where the tail hits when your dog wags. Just about every breed gets it. Only thing that will really help is daily brushing in that area.

Might want to try a grooming spray such as THE STUFF

·
Registered
6 Posts
Although I love Vellus (use it for beards - top knots - ends), "silk' from Laser lites - pricey as it is also works but on our Havanese, I do use deep conditioners (human type) that actually work. If you are restricting it to just the dry areas, then why not. On Havanese - which I have and goldens - which I also have, they all get the guard hairs that are coarse around the tail but you can soften them up. Due to washing my show dogs every 4 to 6 days, I do deep conditioning often and found by doing so that the hair in this area is much softer. But I do coat with 'silk' and I do baths where I am pouring diluted deep conditioning over them for 10 minutes and removing most. I have used Kolesteral and I have used Frieda's leave ins.

I recently tried a product on one of our havs that blown her coat and needed 4 points to finish her championship. It was the priciest thing I ever did use - a human masque but after 3 treatments spaced out 4 days apart, she was ready for the show ring - not perfect but acceptable but I tend to be picky. She took breed and she got 7 points that weekend. I would not use it as a regular thing but it worked for what I needed it to but more expensive than what I would use on MY OWN hair.

I tend to use Isle of Dogs, Pure Paws, Laser Lites, Vellus, Summerwinds, Chris Christensen's white on white for feet, Chris' Clean Start for a clarifier and yes EZ Groom for stains especially when I have gals in heat and my boy - well destroys my hard work in a blink of an eye and I play recovery all that time. <sigh> I am sure I have others but ...I have my faves per dog and not all dogs are alike even in the same breed. I swear we should try and try again to get what works and then have a party to share products. :)

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Human shampoos work just fine on dogs. Ice's breeder uses Aussie on all her show dogs. =P If you compare ingredients, most brands are practically identical, with human shampoos actually being a bit less harsh because they're created for daily use (a lot of the high-end dog shampoos require dilution). The trick is rinsing THOROUGHLY, no matter what you use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts