Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find I'm seriously considering getting a third dog. Yes, I said third dog. The reasoning is Brutus' health. I know he and Zero and pretty attached. This isn't that surprising given that they spend more time with each other than they do with me. They have me all day on weekends and 4-5 hours in the evening, but have each other the rest of the day. So far, Brutus has no corrupted Zero's good manners, but he feels he still has time.

Anyway, I know I've only got Brutus for another 6 mos to a year. My parents had a two dogs before I was born and when one of them got into the street and got hit, their cocker spaniel refused to eat. Not only did they have to deal with the loss of the dog that got hit, but they had to watch their cocker spaniel starve himself to death. My dad tried feeding the dog t-bones but he would have nothing of it. They got another dog, but that didn't work either and eventually the dog passed away.

I really don't want to see this happen to Zero once Brutus heads for the bridge hence, considering the third dog. This way when Brutus passes Both of them will still be attached to each other. I am wondering though if this is a decision I should put off for another 3-4 months.

If I do decide to get a dog it probably won't be until I get back from vacation at the beginning of August. I'm not sure what breed to get at that point, if any. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
238 Posts
First you're nesting and now you're considering a new addition to the family?? Anyone else see a pattern? :eek:

I can't speak to the companionship connection between dogs - only ever had one in my households - but my initial reaction is: do you want to be knee-deep in new-dog training while Brutus' health is declining?

Do either of the dogs get alone time with you? Does Zero have any other doggie friends? Maybe you could introduce a third-party dog(s) via friend/neighbor/dog park/whatever that could play with Zero after Brutus is gone without adding the full-time responsibility to your plate. Or start doing something new just with Zero so that can be the anchor.

Just thinking out loud, as I said, haven't been able to handle more than one at a time myself. ;)

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Personally, I would wait until Brutus is gone. Pack dynamics can change dramatically with 3......and sometimes, not always for the best.

When my older Poodle got ill the other two (all three had lived together for years) started to attack him on occassion...nasty pack dynamics at work...weeding out the sick and injured. I'm not saying that will happen in your case...just that it can.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Hm, all different thought going on here for me. The first one being, I never think someone should get a dog for a dog. I mean, ask yourself, first do you want to deal with another dog? Are both of your dogs very social with other dogs in general? Do they seek out the attention of each other or other dogs?
I know what you are saying and understand the thought process. I sort of did that once myself. I could see this great relationship between 2 of the 3 dogs I had at the time and thought about getting a 4th to help out when the oldest of the 3 went. I did it. Oddly enough the dog who I was getting the other dog for ended up having a stroke and passing. The old dog lived another year and a half and never bonded with the 4th dog. They didn't fight (that isn't allowed here) but they just were never close.

I guess what I am trying to say is.... If you want to get a dog to love and enjoy then do it. If you are only doing it for your current dog, hold off. It might not work like you think it will. At any rate use caution in introducing a new dog. Dogs can sometimes sense illness or weakness and might start to pick on Brutus. You might have your hands full. Also, if you get a puppy, that might be too much for Brutus as his health declines. Spend some time on your vacation thinking about how YOU feel about another dog at this time.

Sorry my thoughts tend to jumble together.... hope it makes sense.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I'm with Tooney all the way. Our pack was upset considerably with 3 dogs. It's a weird number, especially if 2 are established and you bring in another. That's actually a big reason that we got a 4th; to regulate the dynamics again. And it worked GREAT.

How old is Zero? If he's fairly young, then a new dog when Brutus passes would be very realistic. Or, you could always get TWO now... ;) :D

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I agree with everyone saying that you should only get a third if you want another dog, and not just for Zero...but if you do want another dog, then I actually think it could work. I tend to think that dogs, not always, but in general, do better with other dogs in the house, and I totally understand your thinking on this one. I would be extremely selective though, make sure #3 gets along with both really well...adding a third can really make or break a pack and if this works out the way you want it it'll be great, but there's a worst case scenario here, and that is the possibility of a new dog upsetting Brutus and making his last days less comfortable than they could be....just make sure you're factoring both dogs into the decision and make sure Brutus is ok with your choice of dog too.

ETA: I think what happened to your parents dogs is very uncommon, but it might be a good idea to start giving Zero alot more alone time with you, maybe take some sort of class with him to increase his bond with you, or have some regular playdayes with other dogs...maybe I'm anthropomorphizing or whatever, but starting now with giving him a life outside of Brutus seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zero is about two now so he's still a young guy. A puppy is out of the question. They're such a huge pain in the ***. I'd be getting an adult dog. They're so much easier to deal with. I actually looked at a 7 yr old sharpei at the shelter yesterday. The guy decided to demonstrate how unhousebroken he was the second he came into the visiting room. The volunteer and I decided to talk in the hallway and leave him in the room where he proceeded to poop in several places and it wasn't going to be fun to clean up after him either. I felt sorry for the poor lady, but I don't really want an un-housebroken, un-crate trained dog. This dog had basically spent his entire life outside 24/7. He did have the amazing ability to pee and poop simultaneously, but I don't think we could go on the road with that. He didn't seem to have any obedience training and pulled on the leash and wouldn't sit or down. I don't know how trainable sharpei's tend to be so I passed.

I was very interested in a shiba Inu they had there though.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I felt sorry for the poor lady, but I don't really want an un-housebroken, un-crate trained dog.
That's going to be fairly hard to find in a shelter. Not to say it CAN'T happen but most of the dogs need at least a refresher course in potty training when they enter a new home. Especially given the fact that while staying in the shelter they usually have to eliminate in their 'house' (kennel)...so for some dogs it's a big backtrack.

Crate training can be the same. A lot of average owners don't even know about crate training and don't bother desensitising their dog to one. So that's usually something the new owner has to take on. Though sometimes you luck out and get a dog who doesn't really care either way and doesn't need much in the way of training.

Edit: And I agree with the others regarding a third dog.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's going to be fairly hard to find in a shelter. Not to say it CAN'T happen but most of the dogs need at least a refresher course in potty training when they enter a new home. Especially given the fact that while staying in the shelter they usually have to eliminate in their 'house' (kennel)...so for some dogs it's a big backtrack.

Crate training can be the same. A lot of average owners don't even know about crate training and don't bother desensitising their dog to one. So that's usually something the new owner has to take on. Though sometimes you luck out and get a dog who doesn't really care either way and doesn't need much in the way of training.

Edit: And I agree with the others regarding a third dog.
I don't disagree with that, but I can wait. I got kind of spoiled with Zero who had basic obedience training and was crate trained and somewhat housebroken when I got him. To this day I don't have a clue why his previous owners gave him up. I would find another place to live if they wouldn't let me keep him any more. He's like the perfect dog almost.

Anyway, the posts here have made me have second thoughts about expanding the pack now.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Well, I can't really fault you then lol. It's good to see someone who's willing to wait for what they want rather then taking the first dog they see (though I know you've been tempted ;)).

And on a completely OT note, what breed is Zero? I think I've always imagine him as a Poodle for some reason but I don't know if that's due to anything I've read/seen or just some weird assumption on my part.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I can't really fault you then lol. It's good to see someone who's willing to wait for what they want rather then taking the first dog they see (though I know you've been tempted ;)).

And on a completely OT note, what breed is Zero? I think I've always imagine him as a Poodle for some reason but I don't know if that's due to anything I've read/seen or just some weird assumption on my part.
He's a purebred (or very close to being purebred) 15 lb, attack cocker spaniel. He will lick your face if you're foolish enough to get to close. You've been warned.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
He's a purebred (or very close to being purebred) 15 lb, attack cocker spaniel. He will lick your face if you're foolish enough to get to close. You've been warned.
Oooh Cocker. Now that you say it, I think I remember reading that he was a CS once before. Good to know it's working out so well for you!

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I can't believe how irresponsible you are, Hulk; a dog like that shouldn't be allowed outside without a muzzle.

I was at the dog park this weekend, and barely escaped with my life when I was overpowered by a vicious pack of CKC Spaniels. I rolled onto my back, but they continued to lick my face even after I submitted to them. At night, in the dark, I can still feel their tiny little tongues all over my face.

Dilly-Dally, living up to her name, was too busy soliciting belly-rubs to come to my assistance.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I would just start doing more one on one time stuff with Zero. Unless you happen to come across a dog that will go along perfectly with your current 2.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The shiba inu I saw at the Humane Societ really intrigued me. I pulled his paperwork off his cage and he walked right up to me and stared at me as I read it. When I bent down to get to his level, he looked me right in the eye and tried to sniff me through the glass (didn't work). When I put his paperwork back and walked off, he turned around and wandered off too.

They had him as a full blooded shiba inu, but I don't think that's the case. He was about 20-30 lbs and had come in as a stray. He did not have the full fluffy shiba coat though. He had a very short, smooth coat like you would find on a hound and not the double coat that I would expect. I think I may have pictures on my phone, but I'll have to look.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Shibas shed a lot and most of them are looking like they have no fluff right now but we'll see with the pictures :D But let's say how he looked at you is typical Shibatude

1 - 16 of 16 Posts