Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone.

Im hoping someone here can help me.. I have a 9 month old Husky/Shepard mix that I have had since she was 2 months old.. She has been such a joy up until this Monday.. She has destroyed my couch cushion.. She jumped up and ripped it apart.. So I figured maybe it was because this weekend we had a party and my nephew split soda on that same couch and I cleaned it as much as I could but maybe she still smelled it.. So my husband went NUTSO and punished her to her crate.. So then after letting her out after 1/2 hour she was fine and laid down with us in the living room.. Then Tuesday she ripped her bed up.. Oh my husband was so mad and punished her again.. After coming out of the crate she was fine.. Then today I was on the phone for 15 minutes and she jumped on the other couch and ripped up that cushion and then ripped up her new bed I just bought her today.. My husband is FED up and is yelling at me to either get it taken care of or she is GONE... I dont want her to leave.. Im crying as I write this...

Could someone please help me.. She loves the sour apple spray like it was candy to her.. I cant think of anything else to do..

Someone please help before I loss her.. :( Im so sorry Im just crushed!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
What kind of exercise is your dog getting?

She shouldn't be left alone to destroy things. She should be crated when she is unattended. The crate should never be used to punish a dog.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seeming it has been raining horrible in NY for the last week we havent been going out much.. We work during the day and she is in her crate.. Honestly she doesnt like going out much and we never leave her to roam the house if we are not home.

Is there anything I can do? He just called me and he wants to find a electric collar trainer... :(:(:(:(

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Is there anything I can do? He just called me and he wants to find a electric collar trainer... :(:(:(:(
Yes, you can exercise her. A tired dog doesn't destroy things. If you walked her for an hour or two a day it would probably alleviate if not completely resolve the problem. It would also help if she had some chew toys of her own and you redirected the behavior. You shouldn't leave her unsupervised in the house.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I live in NY, its been raining and my dogs are still getting exercise. I don't think you have a training problem so much as a bored dog who needs some exercise. Especially a 9 month old HUSKY/SHEPHERD mix!!! Punishing her and shocking her are not going to help, if anything it will probably make things worse because not only will she be under exercised and under stimulated she will also be nervous and confused and will act out more. Does she like to chase things? You can play fetch with her, make a flirt pole and use that with her. You could take her to dog daycare a few times a week or hire a dog walker to come in the middle of the day. You can't expect her to sit in a crate all day and then just be calm and well behaved when you get home. She is young (9 months equals a teenager) and has 2 high energy breeds in her. Also you can try feeding her out of toys that will give her some mental stimulation. I really like a new one called the Bob A Lot, its not expensive either and my dogs love it. It can keep them entertained for a good half an hour if I make it a bit more difficult; even longer if I make it really difficult for them to get the food out.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
As others have said, your dog needs exercise. Take an umbrella. Get wet. But get your dog some GOOD exercise. That might take care of it. But you can't let her decide whether or not she wants to go out. She NEEDS it for her health.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I have plenty of chewie things for her. She has an entire basket of toys and rawhides.. I alot have a huge dino bone for her which she loves. She has never done this before.. I would NEVER get a dog walker in NY.. Allowing someone into my home that I dont know? not sure where in NY you are but not where Im from.. Our puppy was not our choice.. She was found in the streets as a pup and we took her in.. Now that I am attached to her I dont want to get rid of her.. I understand the walking and which we do and Im not sure how "Rainy" it was by you but she has a HUSKY coat and they take on water like a sinking ship.. Afterwards she smells nasty. A Husky trait.. She does get groomed every 6 weeks which should even be longer for their skin on a Husky is sensitive... I will look into the tread mill but I doubt she will use it. She is scared of her own shadow.. But thanks for the advice and for the person in NY? Not sure where your from but if you had light rain and you let a dog walker in your house I'd like to move where you are.. Im from Nassau County and I wouldnt DARE let someone in my house..

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
A dog walker who is insured, bonded . . . not just some random person who you asked to walk your dog, and there are plenty of other options, like walking her yourself, playing fetch, treadmills, dog daycare, flirt poles. I like to bike with my dogs, although in the rain we walk instead so we don't wipe out with the bike.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Get a shammy cloth to dry the dog's coat after the rain. They're cheap, and they sop up moisture like you wouldn't believe.

Just to echo what others are saying, a huskies were originally bred to pull a sled through the snow for 12 hours a day; getting her enough exercise is essential, and even 2 hours of walks may not be enough. A working breed like a husky is going to need a lot of exercise to calm down. Have you done any training with the dog? Mental stimulus is every bit as important as physical; daily training isn't just about obedience, but putting the dog into a different mental state.

Yelling & screaming at the dog is just going to make it worse, as you just go from having a bored, energetic dog to having a stressed-out, confused, energetic dog. Making the crate into a punishment is an especially bad idea, because it means you're now punishing your dog for 10 hours/day when you leave for work, then punishing him again when your husband gets back and flips out.

Last, I don't want to sound rude, but you really need to get over your paranoia re: dogwalkers; theyr'e essential for any dog owner that holds a full-time job and doesn't live on a ranch. I'm originally from Jamaica, Queens; I currently live in Chicago. I have a dogwalker, and just about everyone I know with a dog in NYC or Chicago has a regular dogwalker, and none of us has been robbed yet (by the walker, at least). Obviously, you need to do your research, but as melgrj7 said, dogwalking is a licensed, bonded, insured business; you have to sign a contract when you hire their services. It's an extremely competitive business that relies almost entirely on reputation and referrals; do you really expect them to destroy your home or rob you blind while you're out? If you're still unsure, then consider installing a nanny-cam to monitor their activities.

·
Registered
7 Posts
9 month babyyyyyy.

There are many things that can help this situation. Some more controversial than others.

1. Agreed, exercise is KEY. Bored doggies find themselves getting into ACTIVE trouble.
2. Toys. I recommend the strategic toys. Ones that will keep them busy for a while. For example, the toys which you can stick snacks in and the dog has to work on it to get it out. That will keep them busy for a while. (Some people recommend rawhides and such.... that should be something good in moderation. Some breeds such as shepherds and huskies tend to develop fatty benign tumors from eating TOO many rawhides-- (my baby has that problem).
3. Make sure you make the dog aware of the problem. If you yell at the dog AFTER the incident, its too late. The dog will have NO clue what you are yelling at her for. You have to watch her. If she goes to nibble at something, you have to Say NO immediately and pull her away from the situation. Then distract her by doing something else and reward her for the BETTER behavior.

Some dogs do better with a conditioned "NO NO" tactic. For example, when I caught my dog in the act of doing something wrong, I would roll up a piece of newspaper and bop him on the butt. He didn't like this. Eventually, if he looked like he was going to get in trouble, I would reach for the newspaper and he would stop immediately and move on.

The puppy is still young so yes she needs constant supervision. Hang in there. With constant reinforcement she will mellow out a bit with the biting.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Exercise will be the cure to your problem. Honestly, I hate to sound rude but if you are not going to meet a high energy breed's exercise needs, you really shouldn't have that type of dog in the first place. It's not fair to the dog.

·
Registered
185 Posts
In order to change your dog's behavior you are going to have to be willing to change some on your part too. If you are committed to keeping your dog, you will need to be committed to meeting her needs. Other posters have made suggestions to which you respond, "I can't do that because....." There is no magic wand that will stop her from being bored and under exercised and understimulated, that is what YOU need to work on. You are the solution. Please consider re-reading the above suggestions with this attitude, "I'll try anything because I really want to keep my dog and I am willing to what it takes". Be willing to WORK hard!! Too blunt?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
This is a HIGH energy type of dog there is NOTHING short of tons of exercise that will help you and it's cruel to try and make her be content to stay in the house day after day.

It's time to seriously consider weather this dogs quality of life is worth your own personal attachment to it. You may love the dog but sometimes we have to do things we don't want to for the ones we love. If you are not willing to walk this dog for 2 hours a day at least, take it to a no kill shelter and let them know it's a high energy dog so they can find a suitable home. Or better yet find a person that you know that wants a high energy dog.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
get rid of the husband:D
You have no idea how RIGHT you are.. LOL!!

In order to change your dog's behavior you are going to have to be willing to change some on your part too. If you are committed to keeping your dog, you will need to be committed to meeting her needs. Other posters have made suggestions to which you respond, "I can't do that because....." There is no magic wand that will stop her from being bored and under exercised and understimulated, that is what YOU need to work on. You are the solution. Please consider re-reading the above suggestions with this attitude, "I'll try anything because I really want to keep my dog and I am willing to what it takes". Be willing to WORK hard!! Too blunt?

Excuse me can you please take the knife out of my back that you planted there. Blunt would not be the word. RUDE, to someone who is in need is more like.

Maybe if you would have read the entire post that I wrote. I only said I could NOT take her out for a walk because it has been raining and thundering for the last 5 days.. The Vet has told me that not to let her get wet all the time because she has very sensitive skin. So the walking in the rain is completely OUT! Please take your own advice and RE-READ what I wrote!

Now here's your knife back!

Exercise will be the cure to your problem. Honestly, I hate to sound rude but if you are not going to meet a high energy breed's exercise needs, you really shouldn't have that type of dog in the first place. It's not fair to the dog.
Also, Im going to quote you and another replier.. You are putting ME down for rescueing a puppy that was in certain death.. Her and her DEAD mother were found in a dumpster! The town came to take her and said to US, being the concerned on lookers that she was NOT going to make it. "I" took her to the vet ASAP, got all her shots and took control of the situation before she passed.. I am not saying she does not get excerise, or out of walks.. I am simply saying for the past 5 days she hadnt been out because of the rain..

So glad to find a wonderful, loving dog community as this..:confused:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think it's great that you've rescued a dog. You should give yourself a pat on the back for that. Unfortunately, that doesn't change the reality of the situation that the only cure to your dog's chewing is more exercise. If this behavior just started since you've been unable to take her out (due to the heavy rain) and she generally DOES get enough exercise, it should stop once you're able to get her out again. If not, sorry to say, but you may want to start looking for a home for your dog that can provide her with more exercise and stimulation.

I don't know what you wanted to hear. We're all just telling you the truth.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Crate the dog any time she's not supervised if the chewing is that big of a problem. I read that you already do that, so I'm trying to figure out how she's still chewing if she's crated when you leave.

Also, if her skin is THAT sensitive, then get her a doggy rain coat. Check it out:
http://i23.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/ff/06/da19_1.JPG

So even if it's raining, if you buy one of those, then you and your dog can both put on your rain coats and get outside.

Also, there are games you can play inside the house. Fetch and tug can be played inside, and also, games and training which stimulate your dog's mind will also help tired her out so she's not bored and chewing on things. Check these out:
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/play1.html
http://www.agilitybits.co.uk/games/indoor/indoor.html

Also, check out these videos:
http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

You can teach your dog to do all those, as something to pass the time when it's bad weather outside, and in the end, you'll have a dog than can do all kinds of cool and useful things, as a result of you giving her something to do.

Good luck!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Lol.. husky mixes.. looks like yours has more husky in it!

O.k.. this is what you will do.. STICK TO THE DOG all the time!
Go to the pet store... buy the pup, chewing toys, kongs, a crate(if you can afford, it not a necesity)

Go buy a suitible tug-o-war toy (strong rope)

When you got all this:

1.- Tire the pup out with tug o war(at least half an hour), once you finish, take the toy away and hide it.
2.- Give her a chewing toy and praise when she chews on it, either petting, or making a huge fuzz over it.
3.-Repeat step 1 and step 2 as needed.
4.-Use a leash on her and tie it into your leg so she will be with you all the time, this way you can supervise her without having to move a large crate all around the house.
5.-Keep giving her chew toys, change them in a regular basis so she doesn't grow tired of the same toys.
6.- When she preffers to chew on toy rather than on your stuff, move up to the Kong, fill it with treats and give it to her (while she is tethered to your leg) She will then start to think that chewing on a toy will reward her with something yummy.
Whenever, you do spot her chewing on something, don't say nothing, just give her a chewing toy and praise the hell out of her.

When Huskies are not exersized or are bored, they tend to destroy everything in their paths.
You might also want to change her food to a low protein one, Huskies only need high protein food when they are in need of protein (Pulling sleds, or doing heavy duty jobs, househeld husks don't need that much protein) This way will be also easier to tire her up :)

Don't you just love Huskies and their mixes... I do:D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts