Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where people get this idea that every rancher, hobby farmer, land owner, etc. longs to own more dogs. Having spent much of my youth in rural Missouri, I can safely say that most land owners aren't bleeding heart dog hoarders.

If you haven't guessed already I made the mistake of getting on craigslist pet section.

What makes you think that land owners want your maladjusted hyperactive DA dog?

"with a tear in our eye we are offering ONLY to a farm or ranch Max our 5 yr old pure bred Border Collie with papers. He needs the space and other animals to chase around."

I'm sure some dogs do luck out and end up with long, fulfilling lives out in the country but I'm sure many are not so lucky. That last excerpt I quoted sounds like a dog that's going to get shot chasing the horses.

Sorry for the rant. Within a minute of getting on CL, I saw half a dozen dog owners that think a large yard or a farm will cure all the dogs problems. Here's a thought: take it upon yourself to give that dog exercise and stimulation. Madness, right?!

/rant

·
Registered
259 Posts
Lol if it means anything to you, I get ticked from some of the CL posts as well. I love the "landlord found out" posts. Gee, well, you shouldn't have tried to be so slick. In regards to the country thing though, a lot of people are just ignorant. And I don't mean stupid, but they're simply ignorant. Uneducated to the subject, and actually think such is a real solution and an easy one at that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
One of my favorites is "we are moving out of state so can't take our dog." Really? Which state doesn't allow dogs?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I still laugh at my parents decision to get me our (now very old) "beagle" from the newspaper when I was in third grade... I remember them dropping him off with a "He growls at our new baby!" Apparently my parents thought that the ideal home for him would be with a seven year old only child that wanted to be a veterinarian...

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
On the flip side, that ignorance can work in your favor. I got Kit from a rural shelter where no one noticed her potential. If she had been in a shelter in a more urban area (such as the one in my town of ~50,000) she would have been snapped up very quickly by someone looking to do sports, or looking for a detection dog.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
I never read craigslist, petfinder, etc..... I get enough depressing stories sent directly to my email...

I got three over the weekend.... I am way past being over rescue..... And I like people less and less each time I read an email as to WHY they want to give up their dog....

·
Registered
259 Posts
"(2 or 3) month old puppy but we're having a baby soon and won't have the time for the dog." Um...because you just magically discovered your 7 months pregnant?? I love those.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
"(2 or 3) month old puppy but we're having a baby soon and won't have the time for the dog." Um...because you just magically discovered your 7 months pregnant?? I love those.
I get mostly ACD specific emails. Because that is what I work with. I get a ton in which there has been problem behaviors. Often herding behaviors that spiral out of control. They do not do anything about it until the dog "heels" someone.... Which the world counts as a bite. So now they have a dog with a bite history and they can't have the liability. Its a death sentence.

Then I get to be the lucky one to tell them if they cannot keep the dog with the bite incident they might as well just take it to be put down.

·
Registered
538 Posts
This is why I generally, as a rule, hate people. People who get animals on impulse, realize "Hey! This might actually be work on my part." And give the animal up. Poor dogs...

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
This is why I generally, as a rule, hate people. People who get animals on impulse, realize "Hey! This might actually be work on my part." And give the animal up. Poor dogs...
When it comes to dogs, I simply prefer to stay within my usual circles of friends.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Or as happens far too often in these parts, people are moving a few blocks uptown to a more upscale, affluent neighborhood. It's too much trouble to bring the dog; it won't fit with the new decor, so just dump it like trash before the move, along with the broken appliances, etc.

Dumped dog wanders forlornly, foraging for food near trash bins, looking for owners never to be found. Too heartbreaking for said dog.

They say that one man's trash is another man's treasure. I can safely say that someone's "trash" is my very much-loved treasure.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I am right behind you ... Lucy was someones trash ... left for 3 months to fend on her own ... and she is now my treasure ....

I can hardly stand to look at any shelter/rescue sights anymore let alone petfinder ... it is too heartbreaking!

·
Registered
171 Posts
We get a lot of dogs dumped off out here in the country. I'm not sure if people drive by and see our dogs and think we need another one or what.

Lately we've had an abundance of cats dropped off as well.

If we can catch the poor things, we take them to the humane society. My neighbors, sadly, don't have any sympathy for strays and "take care" of them rather quickly. Sad.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I don't like some of the reasons people give dogs up for, like they are moving and the landlord will not allow pets, i rent and would never of moved if Holly could not of come with me, gave up some bigger houses, nearer shops, and cheaper ones too because they would not allow pets, i know someone who knew someone that was giving there dog up because it was wagging it's tail too much and the tail would hit the kids, i mean really!, i suppose they would rather the dog attacked the child instead.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
i know someone who knew someone that was giving there dog up because it was wagging it's tail too much and the tail would hit the kids, i mean really!, i suppose they would rather the dog attacked the child instead.
Wait...what?

Seriously? No, that's what they REALLY said? That's a first. I've never heard of a dog being given up because he wags his tail too much. That's just amazingly horrid.

Dog: I'm happy and excited! *wags tail*
Person: You wag your tail too much, you got to go.

I don't know how dogs do it. How do they put up with us humans and our stupid ideas?

Or as happens far too often in these parts, people are moving a few blocks uptown to a more upscale, affluent neighborhood. It's too much trouble to bring the dog; it won't fit with the new decor, so just dump it like trash before the move, along with the broken appliances, etc.

Dumped dog wanders forlornly, foraging for food near trash bins, looking for owners never to be found. Too heartbreaking for said dog.
That's disgraceful. I'd punch the person for doing that to his/her dog.

Sometimes I think people take the fact a dog is not a person to mean they can equate them as disposable objects you can just trade-in/throw away.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
someone that was giving there dog up because it was wagging it's tail too much and the tail would hit the kids, i mean really!, i suppose they would rather the dog attacked the child instead.
I.
do not even has a response that.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Piffle. Someone on my cat forum said she knows someone who had her cat put down (didn't even give her a chance at the shelter!) because she dropped her toys in the water dish and the owner was tired of stepping in puddles. People can be such jerks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Lots of dogs get bought as Christmas presents and then get dumped few weeks after. For this reason some people don't sell dogs during this time. You can see here even more insane reasons like the wagging tail one.

Ie.

"The dog looks evil and has different coloured eyes, just like David Bowie."

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Wait...what?

Seriously? No, that's what they REALLY said? That's a first. I've never heard of a dog being given up because he wags his tail too much. That's just amazingly horrid.

Dog: I'm happy and excited! *wags tail*
Person: You wag your tail too much, you got to go.

I don't know how dogs do it. How do they put up with us humans and our stupid ideas?

I have seen that as a reason to turn a dog in. More than once. Hitting people with their wagging tails, knocking stuff over, etc....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts