Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday a friend and I were driving down a high traffic fast road when a black and tan Shiba darted cross the road right in front of us, my friend swerved into another lane -luckily no one was in it! - to narrowly avoid the dog. We pulled over and decided to see if we could find the dog, which we thought had run into a yard but it was hard to tell which house it'd gone to.

The first house we went to a lady answered the door and went to make sure her dog was inside, which it was, then we looked in her backyard, and didn't see the dog, it may have been able to run directly through the back of her yard, though. She knew of no Shiba in the area (unless it was her dog and she was lying, but she seemed truthful) so we dicided even though we couldn't find it we'd go across the street to where the dog had run from. We avoided the very scary over grown yard next to the women's house as it was litterly like a jungle in there and I hope no one lived there. As my friend said, if anyone was in that place it was probably an axe murderer.

At the house across the street the people told us they didn't own a dog, but said that the neighbour across the street from them had a dog. They then closed the door in our face.

The house directly across the street from them had a gated fence, not latched, but we didn't think it likely the dog would've got back inside or come out from there and you needed to push the gate a fair bit to open it, however it appeared their front door was open a crack and since the neighbours had said they had a dog, we entered. After closing the gate behind us a huge Rottweiler came charging up to us barking; we'd told the people we were looking for the owners of a small dog and they direct us here without warning?! And this house had no signage about 'beware of dog'. The dog ran up to me, scratched my leg, and nipped me three times (causing bruising) before we could get out the gate! We never did talk to those people.

Uggh. I'm just so frustrated with people in general, we never found the poor idiotic dog - I hope it is ok, whoever owns it is incredibly negligent, and for all our trouble I got attacked by a huge dog. Which I'll say is quite terrifying to experience even when the dog luckily doesn't break the skin. I was attacked by a Dalmatian when I was a about 7, but I'd really forgotten how scary it is having a dog charge you like that. I feel like going back to that house and leaving them a letter letting them know their dog needs to be better controlled; if I'd been a little girl guide that could have been so much worse.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Oh my gosh that sounds terrifying. I had that happen to me the other day with a big black lab, it was loose and came charging at me and my dog. Your right you do forget how scary it is! If I were you, I would notify someone about the dog and that house. What happens if it it a little girl coming to sell that house cookies or someone's cat goes onto their yard. By saying something you could prevent something bad happening to someone else :) and even though you didn't find the dog something good still came out of a crappy incident. That's why I have pets, cos people suck sometimes haha.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Ummm....you seriously went door-to-door to try and find this dog? What, were you going to scold the owner? You said it yourself, you were driving down a congested fast-moving street. Maybe you didn't see what you think you saw. And there is no law that you have to put out a "beware of dog" sign in your yard. You shouldn't have been trespassing on people's property. I'm sure you had the best intentions, but IMO you should be glad you got away with just a few bruises and scratches. It could have been a lot worse. I hope you learned a lesson.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Ummm....you seriously went door-to-door to try and find this dog? What, were you going to scold the owner? You said it yourself, you were driving down a congested fast-moving street. Maybe you didn't see what you think you saw. And there is no law that you have to put out a "beware of dog" sign in your yard. You shouldn't have been trespassing on people's property. I'm sure you had the best intentions, but IMO you should be glad you got away with just a few bruises and scratches. It could have been a lot worse. I hope you learned a lesson.
THIS THIS THIS.

And even if you did see what you think you saw, you don't know how or why that dog was loose! Could have been crappy owners, could have been an accident (door dashing, dog startled or scared off by something), and even if it WAS a terrible owner, going into other people's property is... not smart.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
The house directly across the street from them had a gated fence, not latched, but we didn't think it likely the dog would've got back inside or come out from there and you needed to push the gate a fair bit to open it, however it appeared their front door was open a crack and since the neighbours had said they had a dog, we entered. After closing the gate behind us a huge Rottweiler came charging up to us barking; we'd told the people we were looking for the owners of a small dog and they direct us here without warning?! And this house had no signage about 'beware of dog'. The dog ran up to me, scratched my leg, and nipped me three times (causing bruising) before we could get out the gate! We never did talk to those people.
You really have no business entering someone's fenced yard. If you entered my yard unannounced, and my dogs were out but I was not, I assure you that you wouldn't get a happy greeting.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I agree with the entering someone's yard unannounced or at all, but stopping to see if you can find a loose dog is something I would do.

I live on a two lane road that is rather busy and if my dogs are outside and I hear a horn honk the first thing I do is check on them. I could see going up to someones door asking if they have a missing dog. I would rather someone do that and me be notified as soon as possible than ignoring it.

On the other hand, I would never enter a fenced in yard with out the owners knowing.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Stupid people is right....entering a fenced yard with no clue on what is on the other side, the neighbors had no responsibility to warn you, nor do the owners of the dog who's yard you were in. Having a beware of dog sign is asking for a lawsuit, you could say they knowingly had a dangerous dog and kept it.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts

Uggh. I'm just so frustrated with people in general, we never found the poor idiotic dog - I hope it is ok, whoever owns it is incredibly negligent, and for all our trouble I got attacked by a huge dog. Which I'll say is quite terrifying to experience even when the dog luckily doesn't break the skin. I was attacked by a Dalmatian when I was a about 7, but I'd really forgotten how scary it is having a dog charge you like that. I feel like going back to that house and leaving them a letter letting them know their dog needs to be better controlled; if I'd been a little girl guide that could have been so much worse.
Whst did you expect? you went into the DOGS territory unannounced and you were trespassing. NEVER EVER go into a yard without the owners permission! I don't think anyone here will fell badly for you.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You know, I think most of you are being extremely obnoxious. I suppose that's what you get on a dog forum, people defending a vicious dog, figures.

1. Seriously? Guess I love dogs more than you. My friend and I love dogs and we wanted to try and find the owners in order to notify them that their dog had escaped and was a traffic dasher; some people let their dogs out thinking they just sit in their front yard.

We picked the three most likely homes to ask, we weren't sure where the dog was and for all we knew it was still on the loose with its life in danger. Of course we were not going to scold the people, we had absolutely no intention to do this whatsoever, we were only concerned for the dogs well-being, thanks for the vote of confidence. It's actually pretty mystifying that if people on a dog forum see a dog running across the street that you wouldn't try and help it. Oh, and the busy road was right at a cross walk... it wasn't like we're jaywalking across four lanes of traffic.

2. Yes, we entered another's property. Frankly, people do this daily, everywhere all over the world... delivering papers, door to door sales men, people in need of assistance, etc.

The fact that people are making such an issues out of this I find startling, maybe I live in a nicer part of the world where people actually trust one another, because doing this is in no way something that should be so shocking. I guess you're all American's with your 'we can shoot you on sight' laws. The house had no warning of owning a large guard dog, the gate was not latched - how safe is that?, and if the dog had seriously harmed me I could have very easily sued, owners are liable for their dog no matter what.

3. It's nice to see so many people are concerned about the well-being of other people that will no doubt enter the property in the future. Gotta love dog forums.

·
Registered
559 Posts
You know, I think most of you are being extremely obnoxious. I suppose that's what you get on a dog forum, people defending a vicious dog, figures.

1. Seriously? Guess I love dogs more than you. My friend and I love dogs and we wanted to try and find the owners in order to notify them that their dog had escaped and was a traffic dasher; some people let their dogs out thinking they just sit in their front yard.

We picked the three most likely homes to ask, we weren't sure where the dog was and for all we knew it was still on the loose with its life in danger. Of course we were not going to scold the people, we had absolutely no intention to do this whatsoever, we were only concerned for the dogs well-being, thanks for the vote of confidence. It's actually pretty mystifying that if people on a dog forum see a dog running across the street that you wouldn't try and help it. Oh, and the busy road was right at a cross walk... it wasn't like we're jaywalking across four lanes of traffic.

2. Yes, we entered another's property. Frankly, people do this daily, everywhere all over the world... delivering papers, door to door sales men, people in need of assistance, etc.

The fact that people are making such an issues out of this I find startling, maybe I live in a nicer part of the world where people actually trust one another, because doing this is in no way something that should be so shocking. I guess you're all American's with your 'we can shoot you on sight' laws. The house had no warning of owning a large guard dog, the gate was not latched - how safe is that?, and if the dog had seriously harmed me I could have very easily sued, owners are liable for their dog no matter what.

3. It's nice to see so many people are concerned about the well-being of other people that will no doubt enter the property in the future. Gotta love dog forums.
What a mean thing to say. This board has members from all over the world, some of us are in the States, some not. Some no doubt "shoot on sight" or believe they should be able to, some don't. Just like in real life.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
What a mean thing to say. This board has members from all over the world, some of us are in the States, some not. Some no doubt "shoot on sight" or believe they should be able to, some don't. Just like in real life.
The people responding negativity are from what I can see all American. And it's not mean... it's true, in America you're allowed to shoot people on your property, that's not how it works here so maybe people in this country aren't so leery about trusting others when they enter another's property for good intentions; that's the only reason I can see people making such an issue out of this, it must be some sort of culture clash.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If I saw a loose dog I would try to find it, catch it, and then find its owner, but I would never go door to door asking people if they lost a dog. In your circumstance you saw the loose dog, didn't see where it went and had good intentions of notifying the owner the dog was loose. Once again I would never have gone door to door. If I didn't see anyone outside their homes to ask about the dog, I'd have felt sorry for it if it got hit, and fumed a bit about the owner who allowed the dog to get loose and I love all animals, but I would not put myself in danger like that. Yes I'm an American and yes some people are gun crazy and will shoot for trespassing. All I can keep thinking is, "It puts the lotion on the skin or it gets the hose again."

It is terrible that you think the dog is vicious because A.) its a Rott and B.) huge and C.) it bit you because you walked into its territory. If it truly was a vicious dog you'd be posting about how many stitches you needed from the encounter.

EDIT: I got bit my uncle's pit, in the ass, multiple times while trying to walk from my truck up the driveway to ring his doorbell. I had several bruises on my cheeks, but I never considered the dog vicious. I have however learned to just sit in the truck and honk the horn instead of ringing the doorbell.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The people responding negativity are from what I can see all American. And it's not mean... it's true, in America you're allowed to shoot people on your property, that's not how it works here so maybe people in this country aren't so leery about trusting others when they enter another's property for good intentions; that's the only reason I can see people making such an issue out of this, it must be some sort of culture clash.
You need to do your research before you go spouting off random, obnoxious conclusions about what we do in this country. In case you actually believe all American's are gunslingers who shoot everything that moves, let me disabuse you of that notion. This is not a culture clash. I can tell you, whatever country I lived in, I would not want random people coming in my house or my fenced yard. It's common sense not to enter someone's private property without permission, especially if you know they have a dog! Honestly, what did you think would happen? That the dog would bring you a cupcake? That dog was doing what it was supposed to do.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
No, it's not a culture clash thing. It's a common sense thing.
Actually, I doubt it is a common sense thing, seeing as people go door to door all the time as part of their job description, for selling things, even surveys issued by the government require people to enter your property.

If I saw a loose dog I would try to find it, catch it, and then find its owner, but I would never go door to door asking people if they lost a dog. In your circumstance you saw the loose dog, didn't see where it went and had good intentions of notifying the owner the dog was loose. Once again I would never have gone door to door. If I didn't see anyone outside their homes to ask about the dog, I'd have felt sorry for it if it got hit, and fumed a bit about the owner who allowed the dog to get loose and I love all animals, but I would not put myself in danger like that. Yes I'm an American and yes some people are gun crazy and will shoot for trespassing. All I can keep thinking is, "It puts the lotion on the skin or it gets the hose again."

It is terrible that you think the dog is vicious because A.) its a Rott and B.) huge and C.) it bit you because you walked into its territory. If it truly was a vicious dog you'd be posting about how many stitches you needed from the encounter.
See, you're American, so again, maybe it has to do with your country and not wanting to trespass due to its danger that way, but here entering another's property is not something highly frowned upon when you have goods intentions. In fact the first lady thanked us for going door to door asking about the dog's safety.

If they had had a sign saying they owned a guard dog or any sort of keep out sign we would have respected that and not entered, but there was no warning and no other way to contact the people directly; they didn't have some sort of buzzer at their gate.

No, I do not consider it vicious because it was large or a Rottweiler, you're putting words in my mouth and so that's all I'll say to that. I realise it was on its property protecting it like dogs do - in the sense I do understand it - but that still does not give it the right to attack me. Barking is one thing, biting is another.

Hindsight is 20/20, is the saying that comes to mind for me.

EDIT: And no I do not think all American's are gunslingers. I honestly would not have come off sounding so snarky if 90% of these commenters would step back and realise that they're flaming me for trying to help a dog, yes I entered another's property, and I would do so again. I can't stress enough that this is not a big deal here when the circumstances call for it. Last year we had people enter our back gate and come up our back steps asking for directions. Yes, a little strange in that most people aren't lost walking, but not something to make a huge deal about. We gave them directions and they were on their way.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Out of curiosity and clarification the gate you walked through, did you have to go through it to get to the front door? I know some people fence in the entire property so you would walk through a gate just to get to the front door. I was reading it as you walked into someone's fenced back yard which I just don't do not for fear of being shot, but out of respect to the owner.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Lumping an entire nation together is just downright ignorant. Read a newspaper or a book once in a while please.

Do you not have stray dogs where you come from? (oh no I'm generalizing an entire nation! So sorry) Its very sad but a fact of life, but other than possibly trying to catch the dog if I could find it, I probably wouldn't have done anything. A call to animal control to alert them there was a loose dog running through traffic would probably been more effective.
I like being on forums, people have little fear of recrimination so they are able to say straight what they are thinking without worrying that you would burst into tears or a mad fit when you were told. Some of it may be ludicrus to you, but then you have every right to start typing away and attempt to refute what they have said with your own thoughts. Its beautiful!

And saying you think you love dogs more than everyone on this forum is very silly.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Actually, I doubt it is a common sense thing, seeing as people go door to door all the time as part of their job description, for selling things, even surveys issued by the government require people to enter your property.
Well, are you changing your story now? I don't know anyone who does these activities through the backyard. And you said it yourself... "we didn't think it likely the dog would've got back inside or come out from there and you needed to push the gate a fair bit to open it, however it appeared their front door was open a crack and since the neighbours had said they had a dog, we entered. After closing the gate behind us a huge Rottweiler came charging up to us barking..."

And I would say you're right...you didn't think.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.