Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
princess Ruby Roo is going in for her spay on Thursday, She will be 6 months on the 10th of April. It's been years since I have had a dog spayed, neutered yes but not spayed, I am a nervous wreck. They will do her first thing in teh morning and she is suposed to spend the night there andI can pick her up Friday morning bright and early. However there is nobody at the clinic overnight, noway that if there was an emergency that anyone would know until morning when it may be to late (I wouldn't leave my 6 yr old in a hospital overnight and they are staffed 24/7). So i want to bring her home Thursday night where at least I will be here if anything should happen. I took Friday off work so that there wouldn't be a million kids here to torment her, I figure by monday she should be doing much better, the vet hospital said they coudl let her come home the night of, but that if anything happened they wouldn't be accountable (which to me is a given)...so now I have sme questions:

1) am I crazy to want to bring her home the night of where she can be watched? What could happen if I do?

2) what kinds of restrictions will she have and for how long? The vet said only that she would have to be quiet for 10days. Ruby is a puppy and not a mellow one all the time, so I'm not sure how to do this...keepin her kenneled would be the only way, but she doesn't much care for it and would be miserable, I mean I'll do it obvioulsy and just hope she is to drugged to care. How long did full recovery take?

3) did your spayed dog come home on meds? How long did the pain last?

4) should I do anything to her the night before? She will be getting groomed on Wednesday but do I need to shave her belly? her belly by her girly bits are bare and a bit above..that should be enough right?

I know this is the right thing to do and I would never not do it, but at teh same time I'm really scared something will happen to her.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Our vet always lets us take our girls home the evening after....

Just don't let her go crazy/run a lot/jump for that 10 period, 'cause you don't want her to accidently rip her stitches out, or possibly hurnia (sp). She'll be out of it for the night, and she might possibly throw up in your car (susie spewed all over the backseat of my car when we brought her home.) don't let her drink or eat a lot after she gets home, 'cause it could make her sick. She won't be in pain for very long, but a a mild pain killer wouldn't hurt (no asprin though).
The vet'll take care of shaving her belly.

Don't worry yourself sick over it. She'll be fine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts