Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st. I`m new to the forum and would like hello to you guys
2nd. Well I already had 2 dogs in my life. One passed away about 6 months ago and me and my family were thinking about getting one more golden retriver. So, finally having the chance to raise a dog myself (i`m only 16) started reading a training book by Adam K. and I realised our dog is nothing the author would describe as a trained/obedient doggy. My 1st question has to be can a 12 yr. old dog still be trained to be obedient and not pull the leash? I do really think he`s been in control all these yr.s after reading that book.
Getting back to the pup, I would love to get a one little new buddy, but the thing is... do I have to tame the big old one first or can I go for the little one without worries??? I also read that if the puppy takes the big one as the pack leader he won`t take my orders/commands as he should, which makes me quite worried. The final problems is that I have to go to school every morning and i was wondering is it OK to leave the puppy in the cage during the morning??? I mean, I could wake up earlier and go for a walk with him in the morning (6 am or so). I just don`t want to keep the little puppy unsupervised, since people will not be paying much attention to him. If letting him in a cage/crate is the case (he would have to sleep in the cage and go through the morning in it too....) until when should i keep him there??? 1 year???? until he shows total submission??? I`m raelly trying to make my mom read the book put since english is a foreign language its hard.... still trying my best hahha
Thanks to all the dog owners who took the time to read all this.:wave:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
The dominant and Alpha training methods are old and outdated, I would suggest reading "The other end of the Leash" by Patricia Mcconnell. It gives a more realistic view of what works with dogs and not what the stars are doing on TV.

The submission and alpha roles in a dogs life don't exist (not the way people think), if you do that kind of training the dog doesn't understand why you are being a bully. I would also suggest reading up on NILF (Nothing in life is free) which is a very popular positive reinforcement training.

Also a puppy is going to need to go out to the bathroom very often. Generally the rule is for every month of age, you can add an hour, some dogs are different though and can't hold it as long. A puppy is going to have accidents in his crate if you leave them in there for the time you are in school, you may want to use a puppy playpen to keep them contained but to give them enough room to have pee pads and food and water. At least until they are old enough to hold it for that long.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
What book is this? I'm not really fond of books that say that dogs are "in charge" if they misbehave. . .usually it just means they haven't been taught proper behavior. And all that talk of "pack leader" and "submission" is also somewhat alarming. Many "pack leader" training methods tend to be quite harsh and can be damaging to a dog, especially an impressionable puppy. Trust is very important in dog training, and if you do anything to break that trust it can take a long time to earn it back. If you want to read some good books, Ian Dunbar's are useful, and I'm sure others will have more book suggestions.

In general, it's a good idea to have your older dog trained before you bring in a new puppy. They can learn behaviors from the older dog, so if your older dog does anything you don't want the puppy learning, it would be good to work on that first.

As for crating, it's perfectly fine to leave a pup crated when unsupervised, until he's mature enough to behave even when nobody is around (what age that is depends on the dog!). As long as he gets out to play, exercise, and potty often enough, and you make sure to spend enough time with him.

·
Registered
348 Posts
PLEASE buy Patricia McConnell's The Other End of the Leash and read it. If the trainer whose book your reading is "Adam G. Katz", I'm not liking a lot of the things he says on his website (http://www.dogproblems.com). I'm also concerned that I've never heard of him before. I would also recommend checking out Ian Dunbar's Before and After You Get Your Puppy. These are two classics that can, I believe, prepare anyone for puppy ownership.

Some things to note based on what you said

Dogs do not have a linear pack structure. Dominance and submission displays in dogs are all about resources -- One dog may have "dominance" where toys are concerned, where another may have "dominance" over the couch. Most often, dogs have "dominance" over whatever they currently have -- if you give a dog a piece of chicken, for example, it doesn't matter what any other dog could do because that dog is going to eat the chicken. You can see another example of this if you've ever played fetch with a group of dogs -- whoever gets to the ball first gets to the ball. There are no dominance and submission displays for ball ownership.

If you worry about whether your puppy recognizes your older dog as the "alpha" you'll be wasting your time and placing undue stress on both your puppy and your older dog -- and more importantly, yourself!

His views on "clicker training" display a huge lack of knowledge about operant/classical conditioning, and the fact that he would advocate using a pinch collar and an alpha roll on a 9.5 week old puppy for play-biting (without having ever met the puppy or personally teaching the woman asking him the question about her puppy how to use his recommended methods) would make me look for a better source of dog knowledge.

How many hours are you wanting to leave your puppy in its crate every day? Depending on the amount of time, leaving an unsupervised puppy secureley confined to a crate or x-pen during the day is an EXCELLENT idea.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the replies, I`m currently searching for a copy of Patricia Mcconnells book, which is quite hard to find here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts