Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I mentioned a wee while ago that I was looking into getting a GSD puppy, well, my perfect one came along and she is now all mine :D

Some basics about her:
She lived in outdoor kennels, so has some kind of farm-style smell (read stinks when wet).
Has had very little training as they were bred for some level of working so have been kept as a "blank canvas" for the new owners - though good recall has been worked on.
Has had her jags for the first year.
Was wormed at 7 weeks.

So, question time:
I was told to wash her once and once only unless the coat absolutely requires it. She does stink a bit so would like to give her a good wash. Do you recommend a specific shampoo or would anything suffice? How often should she be washed?

We have only had her for 4 full days so far so training has only just begun, appears to be responding well though, shall see how it progresses.

Jags are covered until August 2012 so will look into more jags then.

Is the worming to be done every 3 months? What do you recommend? I checked in at my local shop and the only worming stuff they had was for dogs over 6 months. She will be due to be wormed in 2-3 weeks so will only be 5+ months old. Do I use something from the shop or do I go to the local vet?

Those are regarding my "background information".

Some more:
How far should she be getting walked per day, or for how long? If I was to go out for a jog how far then? What if I went for a run, possibly quick pace? I am in training to run 1.5 miles in as quick a time as possible, 10-11 minutes is my rough times, would like to get down to 8.5-9.5 minutes, is this too fast for her?

I was told to feed her two cups of food per day, one in the morning and one in the evening. She eats the whole portion in one go. The breeder said the whole cup is probably slightly too much but this will become the correct amount in time - is this correct? What food do you recommend, I know that you should buy the best quality you can afford. Breeder suggested Arden Grange, which is mega expensive... but affordable if required. Also interested in reading more into the raw diet. Just want the best I can ;)

Think that covers everything (for now).

Got some quick photos on my phone so will get better ones and will no doubt get them up when I can.

Just to add, she really is a 'velcro' dog with me just now. My partner and I picked her up but I had 5 days holiday in place so spent all my time with her while my partner was at college so she's incredible with me and a bit 'off' with my partner. However, I'm on nightshift this weekend so my partner has her all weekend so hopefully this will change and she's good with both of us.

I'm going to do loads of reading but please feel free to throw any/all information at me. I do promise, pics will follow.

Finally, I'm from Edinburgh, Scotland and this is my first dog that is mine!

Thanks,
Cammy

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
1. Read these two free books for more info: http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads The warnings are a bit extreme but taken as advice they are good.
2. You didn't mention it, but teach her Bite Inhibition.
3. You must socialize a GSD with lots of other dogs and many, many people and experiences. That'll help the velcro.
4. Sorry, but you can't really run with her on-leash until she is a year or so old. You can run around and play in a field off-leash, but she's considered a big dog and running on-leash (pushing her too much) can cause problems in later years.
5. However, I think that you can safely walk her for 30 min. in the morning and in the afternoon.
6. GSDs might not over eat. I used to let my GSD free feed and he left food, eating when he was hungry. On the other hand, I tried this with my Lab and he will stop eating only when all of the food has been exhausted :) I recommend following the suggested feeding schedule to keep her growing at the correct rate without getting over weight.
7. Keep the Recall in practice, and train as much as you have patience for, b/c the more you train the smarter she will be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey,

Thanks for the reply. She's probably being walked a bit much just now, though not too much. We've got a great park which is a 5-10 minute walk away which always has some sort of action it: 5-40 dogs at any time, kids, cyclists passing through, a stream, random people etc.

She's been a bit timid just now but obviously she's in a new place with new people with loads of things going on around her. Think she saw her first bus when I first took her out but she's getting better every day. Yesterday, in the park, she went and played with another dog for the first time, another 4 month old, and at one point ran away from me probably the furthest she's been - perhaps slowly coming out of her shell, especially as we're visiting the same park so hopefully she'll get more and more comfortable/familiar being there and will explore more.

Once she is a year old how far can she run with me? I read something in Schutzhund, IIRC, stating they should run 12 miles in less than 2 hours.

I'm probably spending 15-20 with a slow walk to and from the park and then a good 30-45mins walking through the park, again at a slow pace but letting her run around as much as she dares.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. Right now, she may also be going through a normal developmental fear cycle, so all of a sudden, an internal switch may flip, and she'll be very confident with almost no timidity.

If you see when she is playing happily, you might try calling her back, then when she comes back, encourage her to go back and play as a reward for a good recall. Handled gently, but firmly, this exercise may improve her recall, because she'll learn to come, even with distractions.

I don't know how far she'll run but a well-conditioned dog can run for a while. In any case, keep up the socialization - I have a personal theory that the more (and harder) that a pup plays, the sweeter the resulting dog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts