Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doxie/sheltie mix. She's actually shorter than normal right now because I had her "feathers" cut before Christmas. Most people on the street think she is a long-haired dach, but her coat is a double coat. She was "fuzzy" when she was a pup and we didn't know how long her adult hair would end up being.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
What a fun dog!!! I love Ginger!!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
She's the best $5 dog I've ever had! We got her from the local pet shops "adoption day", which is really just foisting off your "oops" litters on the pet shop's customers. The pet shop then, conveniently, has everything you need for your new puppy. There's a $5 donation to the local spay/neuter fund and you get the dog, a free bag of food and a voucher for $100 off on spay/neuter at the local vet affiliated with the SPCA. These are all "oops" litters of people's unspayed animals, so they are likely to end up in the shelter system anyway. It's one way of trying to get them into homes before they come into the shelter system. Of course, I promptly spent $150 on "puppy supplies". :p My husband won't let me live it down. I already had my own vet, so we didn't use the voucher. The food was Nutro. I fed it for about a week before switching to Wellness. I gave the Nutro to my sister who has a dog with an iron gut. She'll eat anything and not get the upset tummy. I spent the next few weeks reading about doxies and shelties and agonizing over how big is she gonna get, how long will her fur be, would she shed like a maniac, would she bark 24/7? I quit that after a couple weeks and just accepted that, as a mixed breed, she would have a variety of characteristics.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No matter how much you spent on her she is a very lucky girl! Tell your husband to go stuff it...:D JK!
Oh, I did. I had just bought him a car and the deal was he got a car, I got a dog. I told him the dog was a lot cheaper than the car! :p

And yes, she's spoiled rotten. I daresay she's got it the best out of any of her littermates. Her crate is always full of toys. If she kills one and shreds it, the toy fairy replaces it. She's fed Wellness Core and usually several nights a week, it's mixed with a can of Wellness, Evo, Canidae or the like. She sees her doctor more often than I see mine. (I'm a nurse and we make really bad patients.) And more importantly than anything else, I love her to bits.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts