Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Some kind of hotspot on my Pit's tail that is scabbed up and bleeds.

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Sarah~ 
#1 ·
My dog is 4 yrs old and he's always had this spot on his tail where the hair wasn't that thick or full. In other words he has a spot on his tail where the hair is very thin. He recently got fleas pretty bad, the worse he's ever had them, and broke out in a rash. But this thing has evolved, it's not so much of a rash anymore and I don't know what I'd call it. He has all these little scab like things on him. They're like a cross between a scab and dandruff. And it doesn't seem to itch him much at all. I mean if I start scratching his back that'll bother him, but he's always been like that. Idk know how else to explain it. Now I know I have to take him to the vet, and I will, but today is Labor Day and I'm in work from 9am till 9pm all this week. So if I could at least have some ideas as to what it might be I would feel much better and not so stressed out. My old lady stresses me out enough. I took a picture of his tail but I don't see any way that I can upload it into this post. If there's any way that I can assist further please let me know. I can email the pictures I took to anyone who wants to see them. Ty in advance.

#2 ·
I'm not sure because I can't see a picture of it. But I was told that some breeds are very susceptible to getting demodex mange. Maybe you should take your dog to the vet and have it looked at?

If it's a thick patch, it's likely that your dog has dug at it so much it could be scarring or something. It's hard to tell really. If it bothers your dog that much you should take her to the vet.

#3 ·
I think I know what you're talking about, my pit gets them when she's itching from her allergies. Like scabs that flake and leave white stuff on their fur. I agree with taking the dog to the vet, the itching from the fleas can lead to skin infections and the vet may want to scrape for mange. I guess if you can't get to the vet because of work for now you can give him benadryl to help with the itching, the dose is 1mg per pound (so my 50lb pit gets 2 25mg tabs) and you can give that every 8-12 hours. But he really needs to see a vet to find out why he's itching and if his skin has become infected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.