Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am having some issues with a 5 month old puppy and separation anxiety. I got her as both a companion dog to my 2 year old dog, and as another family pet. My older dog didn't have much of an issue with separation anxiety as I had a 9-5 job at the time, and she got used to the pattern.
However, before I got my puppy, I switched to my own design business, and I now work from home. Being home a great deal of the time has been great as far as house breaking (took less than 3 weeks for her to understand she goes outside) and general training, however, because I am home for a great amount of time that she is aware, whenever I go out destruction happens.

At first I thought it was teething, but she has escalated to destroying the things I last touched, peeing on our bed (which she sleeps in, so I KNOW it's not normal) and pooping in the house. She is VERY well house broken, so when I saw that peeing and pooping was a sign, I figured it was pretty apparent that she has separation anxiety.

I have done things to NOT make my entrances and exits a big deal. When I go out for a good amount of time (an hour or so) both dogs go into the laundry room, so it's very much like crate training, just in a whole room (which I will add, she never destroys anything in the laundry room when I am gone). I have even given them chews when I leave on short trips to keep her busy.

So how am I supposed to deal with this when most of my time is spent with her? I went out for a 15 minute walk to clear my head after some work, and I came back to the book I got today (and had been reading right before my walk) completely destroyed. Does this mean that for the next 10 years anytime I have to leave, whether it's a walk around the block, or a run to the store I have to lock her in the laundry room? Is there any way to get RID of separation anxiety? I can only think to blame myself because I am always home and she doesn't have regular long periods without me. I think that's why Una (my older dog) did so well, there was some destruction in her early puppyhood, but she got used to the rhythm of me leaving, and she doesn't have any problems. My leaving now is very sporadic now.

I'm just really really frustrated and don't know what to do. I have been trying to do a lot of research on the net, but most of it is in regards to establishing a rhythm and for people who are away most the day, and I just don't have that.

:(

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You're doing all the right things. You will have to confine her to the laundry room when you leave, even briefly. That's not a life-time confinement....only until she learns that being alone is OK as Una did. It will just take a little longer as you don't have that routine of leaving every day.
We used our laundry room as a puppy training room and our youngest (9 years) often goes in there to sleep when we leave. She seems to find it comforting even though she has some very comfortable beds to choose from.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, confining her is absolutely necessary. I would buy her a crate and train her to stay in that, even when you are home. If you don't want to use a crate, you still need to put her in a small room like a laundry room. She will feel more secure once she is used to it, and she won't get into as much trouble. Start by putting her in this smaller space by herself or with your other dog even when you are home. Then leave for short periods and then longer periods.

I fostered a 3 year old pitbull who was not used to being left alone. I slowly trained her to stay in my laundry room and then in a kennel so she couldn't be destructive to my property or hurt herself.

http://www.thatmutt.com/2009/01/06/kennel-train-your-dog-to-prevent-behavioral-issues/

Good luck. It will take a lot of patience!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts