Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6.5 month old rough collie, and I've decided to begin mixing new foods into her regular diet (Taste of the Wild kibble). I freeze plain yoghurt with peanut butter and fruit, mix chunks of apple and carrot into her kibble, and (until recently) fed her Urban Carnivore meaty bones.

Urban Carnivore is no longer an option. I found Nature's Variety bones -- beef marrow bones and pork bones -- but it seems expensive, and the store is very far away. All the sources I've found (including some on this forum) suggest buying bones straight from a butcher or grocery store, but I'm still not clear on a few points.

1. When I was at the meat section in the local grocery store, I asked for dog bones and was handed a package of beef marrow bones/soup bones. My puppy loves them, but they're a weight-bearing bone from a large herbivore, and I've read many warnings that dogs can chip their teeth on them. (I've read the same thing about knuckle bones, which I was also offered at the grocery store.) Are they alright to feed occasionally? Have your dogs ever chipped a tooth, or do you have advice regarding how safe they are?

2. Chicken hearts and gizzards are cheap and easily available. My dog loves eating them, I feel safe feeding raw chicken bones, and it's extremely affordable. How much is safe to mix into her food every day? (Raw calf liver is also available. Same question?)

3. My dog is extremely fond of Nature's Variety pork bones. I picked up five on my last visit, and she's already devoured four. Despite being raw, however, I've been told by several people that pork bones splinter easily and aren't safe for dogs. Is there any truth behind this statement?

4. I haven't found much information about raw lamb bones, except the "don't cook them!!!!" comments. Urban Carnivore lamb bones were awesome, and I'd love to buy some of the lamb legs from the grocery store and let my dog go nuts. It'd be cool to feed her something with a lot of meat on it, for a change. I'm pretty sure it's safe, but I'd still like some reassurance before I buy a package.

I'm not interested in feeding an entirely raw diet, but I'd like to continue exploring healthy ways to make Juliet's meals interesting. I'll continue to browse this forum in search of answers, but if you have any favorite recipes for homemade biscuits or frozen treats, or you'd like to suggest a better kind of bone/organ meat, I'd love to hear it!

(And for anyone who was going to suggest a non-bone chew, trust me, I've tried them. Juliet has a toybox full of bully sticks, nylabones, everlasting treat balls, stuffed kongs, Himalayan dog chews, antlers, Flossies, various tendon chews, etc. Nothing can hold her attention like a raw meaty bone.)

Thanks very much! This forum has already been a huge help. I've been reading the topics for months, and finally found a reason to create an account and post. :)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Checkn out http://www.rawfeddogs.net/ He answers a lot of questions regarding raw feeding and various myths about it.

I feed my TFT raw chicken wings, occasional thighs and legs (chicken). Don't give too much liver or it might give her the runs. A little is good. The gizzards are excellent. My dog gets some pork rib bones with not problem but I have heard that some dogs do not do well on them.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a 6.5 month old rough collie, and I've decided to begin mixing new foods into her regular diet (Taste of the Wild kibble). I freeze plain yoghurt with peanut butter and fruit, mix chunks of apple and carrot into her kibble, and (until recently) fed her Urban Carnivore meaty bones.

Urban Carnivore is no longer an option. I found Nature's Variety bones -- beef marrow bones and pork bones -- but it seems expensive, and the store is very far away. All the sources I've found (including some on this forum) suggest buying bones straight from a butcher or grocery store, but I'm still not clear on a few points.

1. When I was at the meat section in the local grocery store, I asked for dog bones and was handed a package of beef marrow bones/soup bones. My puppy loves them, but they're a weight-bearing bone from a large herbivore, and I've read many warnings that dogs can chip their teeth on them. (I've read the same thing about knuckle bones, which I was also offered at the grocery store.) Are they alright to feed occasionally? Have your dogs ever chipped a tooth, or do you have advice regarding how safe they are?

2. Chicken hearts and gizzards are cheap and easily available. My dog loves eating them, I feel safe feeding raw chicken bones, and it's extremely affordable. How much is safe to mix into her food every day? (Raw calf liver is also available. Same question?)

3. My dog is extremely fond of Nature's Variety pork bones. I picked up five on my last visit, and she's already devoured four. Despite being raw, however, I've been told by several people that pork bones splinter easily and aren't safe for dogs. Is there any truth behind this statement?

4. I haven't found much information about raw lamb bones, except the "don't cook them!!!!" comments. Urban Carnivore lamb bones were awesome, and I'd love to buy some of the lamb legs from the grocery store and let my dog go nuts. It'd be cool to feed her something with a lot of meat on it, for a change. I'm pretty sure it's safe, but I'd still like some reassurance before I buy a package.

I'm not interested in feeding an entirely raw diet, but I'd like to continue exploring healthy ways to make Juliet's meals interesting. I'll continue to browse this forum in search of answers, but if you have any favorite recipes for homemade biscuits or frozen treats, or you'd like to suggest a better kind of bone/organ meat, I'd love to hear it!

(And for anyone who was going to suggest a non-bone chew, trust me, I've tried them. Juliet has a toybox full of bully sticks, nylabones, everlasting treat balls, stuffed kongs, Himalayan dog chews, antlers, Flossies, various tendon chews, etc. Nothing can hold her attention like a raw meaty bone.)

Thanks very much! This forum has already been a huge help. I've been reading the topics for months, and finally found a reason to create an account and post. :)
1) Recreational Bones such as marrow bones are great for helping clean teeth and occupy your dog. NEVER feed them while you are not available to watch and observe them. I give both my girls a marrow bone at least once a week, and I've never had any issues with chipped teeth. You have to watch them and if they start to get too rough, they get thrown out. I'd be a little more careful with a puppy-I'm not sure if your puppy has all of its permanent teeth in yet or not?

2)Any time you can feed raw is an added plus, just make sure its balanced when you are feeding it. I go by the 80/10/10 ratio. 80% meat, 10% bone, 10% organ. DO NOT mix raw with regular dog food. They digest at different rates and can cause tummy issues. As far as organs, 50% should be a type of liver, the other 50% can be whatever.

3) What type of pork bones were they? As far as edible bones, they should be surrounded by lots of meat to "cushion" the bone and they should NOT be any weight bearing bones on large animals, such as a cow femur aka marrow bone. Most raw bones will not splinter unless they are cut at an unnatural angle or something. Bones you have to worry about splintering are those that are cooked. Which are a big no no!

4)Lamb bones would be a great treat for her. A leg of lamb full of meat. Wonderful.

Good luck. Just remember to try and keep it balanced and full of variety. Have fun!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts