Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure many of us have tile/wood somewhere in the house. As funny as it is seeing Soro do the "Scooby Doo run" it's not fun for him or his joints so I'm looking for ways to solve this problem.

Through searching online I've read that some people:

-have their dogs wear boots
-put wax/gluestick on the dog's paws (not sure about this one...)
-trim the paw fur and nails often
-install carpet runners

I'm wondering, for those with this experience, what has worked and not worked for you?

I am going to try the boots idea RIGHT NOW, though Soro has hated them in the past and acted like a show horse. If need be, I will gladly go buy carpet TODAY. But in the meantime I'd love to hear your thoughts!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Right now we do nail trims and paw fur. Amazing how much the fur between their pads on the bottom of their feet can reduce traction. With carpet runners you will need something to keep the carpet runner from sliding around on the tile as well (I can't remember what they are called at the moment). I would go with carpet runners first after trimming up his paws. Unless you have an entire house of tile and wood then I would think the wax/gluestick would adhere/stick to the carpet and make it hard for him to walk on carpet - not to mention he may lick it off so it would have to be non-toxic.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I trim too but that's not enough to stop him frim slipping. I don't know how big your dogs are but I think size might have to do with it. The other dog here is small, super unkempt paws but he's able to run around without a problem.

I just tried the boots right now and he's absolutely miserable with them on :D

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've given up on trying to get my parents to install runners for the stairs in their house since their dog Missy hates hardwood floors and will only tentatively walk up and down the stairs because of the lack of traction.

I'm planning on buying Missy these: http://pawzdogboots.com/

Not sure what kind of boots you have, but these are thin so they are supposed to feel more like the dog doesn't have boots on, thus giving them more control.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just dropped $60 to get those carpet runners. Put them in 2 minutes ago. And to be honest I'm maybe 6 feet short, but I'll get an extension when I'm in that area again. The 6 feet is around corners, where it counts, so I have temporary non-skid mats there for now.

Zounds, what we wouldn't do for our dogs!

Lisahi I dearly wish Soro was okay with booties, but even something as thin as socks will irritate him! I hope they work for you :)

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
We have tile flooring in our kennel, and a lot of dogs hate tile. We get washable carpet runners that have the non-skid backing on them. Regular sized and area rugs, too :) If you use a floor shine on your floors, you might consider using a little less. Dogs seem more afraid of super-shiny floors than not.
.....Not a problem in my house. My floors are currently filthy xD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts