Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now Diamond is recalling Solid Gold.....why don't they just recall all of their products & get it over with!

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Can you link to the info with recalled bag numbers? This isn't my normal brand, but I'm currently working through a bag of it that we won.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Oh my gosh I about had a heart attack until I looked at the links... My dog just ate her nightly serving of Sun Dancer right before I saw this thread!

·
Registered
717 Posts
We are on Wolf cub is that affected? Diamond is Solid Gold too? this makes me Sick! I love Solid Gold and I have a 13 yr old Boxer to prove that it is a good food....

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Wolf Cub is affected as well as Wolf King, but the other varieties don't seem to be.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I'm not sure why anyone would think that testing positive for salmonella means a food isn't good. . .if you start testing for salmonella you'll find it. . .it's everywhere. Plus most of the foods didn't test positive; they just pulled them as a precaution.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My mom's dog eats 4Health and her current bag is one of the recalled codes. She has had diarrhea off and on and hasn't acted comepletely normal. We were just writing it off to getting into the cat food and her age since she is at least 8 years old. My cats eat TOTW and one of them had diarrhea and vomitting off and on. I never saw who was doing it so didn't go to vet. It has stopped now but I am not sure that dogs and cats aren't being affected by whatever went wrong at that plant. Are you willing to risk your pets? I'm not.

I don't trust pet food companies to be honest. Look how long it took to recall when the melamine was killing pets in 2007. This recall only happened because PEOPLE got sick and they can sue. I really liked TOTW cat food and my mom liked 4Health but I will not use Diamond again. Any company can have one accident but Diamond keeps messing up. Mom's dog will go to Hi-Tek which is made by a family owned company in Georgia and my cats will go to Earthborn Holistics. Neither company has ever had a recall. I am not paying companies to harm me or my pets.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'm not sure why anyone would think that testing positive for salmonella means a food isn't good. . .if you start testing for salmonella you'll find it. . .it's everywhere. Plus most of the foods didn't test positive; they just pulled them as a precaution.
Thats a bit reassuring, as I have two different bags I am finishing-- they are mixed together, and I threw away the bags, the food is in a storage container-- my three dogs seem fine...
I did check the unopened bag I have in the garage and it is fine.. not one of the recalled lots, I am glad this Forum exists,it is so helpful....
I love Solid Gold it given the boxers I had/have (the last one is almost 13 which is AMAZING for a Boxer) a good long life-- that and feeding raw in the AM I think.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Can you link to the info with recalled bag numbers? This isn't my normal brand, but I'm currently working through a bag of it that we won.

What you need to do is find out where the foods to your state are sourced. (hint: It's probably somewhere much closer to you than South Carolina.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please keep in mind that only Hundchen Flocken, Wolf King adult, wolf king puppy, and Just a wee bit were made by Diamond. All other lines, including Sun Dancer, are made by Crosswinds Inc in Kansas. Hundchen Flocken is moving asap to Crosswinds while the two wolf lines and Just a wee bit are on their way out of Diamond, though I do not know who the new manufacturer is.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Please keep in mind that only Hundchen Flocken, Wolf King adult, wolf king puppy, and Just a wee bit were made by Diamond. All other lines, including Sun Dancer, are made by Crosswinds Inc in Kansas. Hundchen Flocken is moving asap to Crosswinds while the two wolf lines and Just a wee bit are on their way out of Diamond, though I do not know who the new manufacturer is.
Thats so confusing. I guess I had assumed that if a Dog Food is a particular brand, say Solid Gold, they were made by the same company/ production facility. The Solid Gold formulas that I had fed for years was Millenieum then the Bison one before Wolf king....now I am thinking if not all "Flavors... ie formulas" are the same quality, I should go back to those two.....

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
It's expensive to build and run a pet food manufacturing plant. Most of them share with a whole lot of different brands. They different companies usually provide their own ingredients, but of course if the equipment is contaminated it would affect all the brands.

I heard there are very few plants in the U.S. that make canned pet food, so they're pretty much all made at the same places :).

ETA: Orijen says that "almost all canned pet foods are made at one of two very large canning plants". That's actually fewer than I was thinking! http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/faq/#Canned-food-and-treats

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Yeah, I looked up the info. We aren't affected. I've been feeding from the bag of Solid Gold for about 2-3 weeks now, and haven't seen any strange effects. I guess one thing that made me nervous was that I won the bag (33lbs), so there's no way for me to trace it back to a store and return it. I guess that's not really necessary, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts