Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sophia is about 8 weeks old. We've been together for about two weeks now. Some days, she is excellent about going on her pee pad, but there is not a day that goes by that I don't catch her soiling on the carpet whether it is #2 or #1. Whenever I catch her, I stop the behaviour and bring her to the pee pad. After, I put her in her crate for a little time out. The REAL problem is that she is peeing and pooping in her bed and in her crate at night. I have been waking up every two hours to take her to the pee pad. Like I said before, sometimes she will go right away and then other times, she will just stand there. At those times, I turn on the light, look at her bed, and see that she went on her bed :mad:. Do you think I should be letting her out every hour because she is so young? I don't want her to get in the habit of soiling her bed and her crate. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Puppies need to go potty every 70-90 minutes...their bladder and bowel muscles aren't developed yet. That's why the housetraining schedule is every hour...to get ahead of their need to go.

Besides using the crate (which, BTW, I hope you're cleaning with an enzyme cleaner like Natures Miracle) is restricting the water intake. Sometimes, it's better to use an X-pen with pee pads instead of the crate.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
My 8 week has to go like every 15 minutes when she is awake.

The first night here she slepped through the night.

The 2nd night she pood the second she was in her kennel and then slept restlessly.

Last night she pood and peed in her kennel in the first few minutes of being in it!!! I have no clue why!! After that she slepped all night, And woke up to go potty at 7:40am, but was really really hyper and wouldnt go to sleep, but fell asleep next to me, so I didn't mind, and we got to nap until almost 10...mwahahaha.

I don't let her have water an hour or so before bed. I give her ice cubes if she's really thirsty.

I don't train on pee pads, I used to with all my other dogs, but figured she might as well just learn to go outside. She's only had a few accidents, and of course they've been my fault.

I like to tire her out a bunch before bed, taking her for a walk, tug of war, fetch, etc...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I got her from a reputable breeder. I've been taking the water away from her about a half hour before bedtime, and that seems to be working better.

Dogs are so weird, lol! I can't take my pup outside until she is completely vaccinated. I live in an apartment, and we have lots of stray cats around. I wish I could!

·
Registered
13 Posts
shes a baby, time might cure it, im not a fan of puppy pads ;p.

also I don't know any reputable breeder to let the pups go at 6 weeks ;p

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yet another time when I say to manage your expectations. Seriously, folks. An 8 week old has no bladder control. They aren't going to hold it, wait for you to wake up, learn your schedule, be immediately crate-trained... these things take work. They take consistency, persistence, patience, and just plain time.

The number of posts asking what is wrong with someone's 8 week old puppy who has accidents is amazing. Your 8 MONTH old puppy may very well have the occasional accident. It isn't a big deal, and they will get over it, but not without time and patience and work.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
No need to be rude. I don't expect her to learn right away. I just wanted a suggestion or two on how often to let her out. I enjoy the aspect of training her and am very patient.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I don't think the pp meant to be rude...it's just frustrating as it's such a common question in the forums and it APPEARS people's expectations for an infant doggle are so high.

You've gotten some good advice.

I also want to add that it's not true that you CAN"T take your puppy outside, you just need to avoid dog parks and areas where there is a lot of dog feces etc. The stray cats will most likely stay away, and the diseases you would be worried about are DOG diseases like parvo and distemper. Your pup needs socialization...

It is of MUCH more importance that your dog be socialized (which means other dogs, people, places, things, smells, sights, noises etc etc) during the first socialization window (7-13 weeks of age). Take him out in your arms. Find a spot nearby to pee etc. Reward him. Then take him for a short walk, picking him up when you see other dogs or things that are risky. Encourage people to handle the puppy (gently of course) and take him to see different places.

The long term behavioural risks are HIGH if the puppy is not socialized properly, fear issues being a big one. The risks of him pickingup a virus if you are careful to only introduce him to vaccinated adult dogs or puppies you KNOW, not take him to dogpark etc are small. Sign up for puppy kindergarten if you can and expose him to as much stimulation as he can handle easily.

It also makes housetraining SO much easier to not have to rely on pee pads (except you have to go OUT a lot at first..lol).

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
and it APPEARS people's expectations for an infant doggle are so high.
I agree, it's amazing the 8 week pup I have now can sleep 5-6 hours at night!

But of course there are occasional accidents, just gotta keep an eye on the little rascals!

except you have to go OUT a lot at first..lol).
Oh yes...I'm out every 15 minutes!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I know! She is such a little stinker! She's been doing better. She is also 9 weeks not 8 if that really makes any difference, lol. I am still not going to take her to parks or out around my apartment. Like I said, we have alot of stray animals, and I don't want to take my chances. Pee pads are a pain though and expensive!
I have been taking her everywhere with me, introduced her to co-workers at work, brought her over to a few friends houses with children, taking her for rides, etc. I agreee it is VERY important to start socializing early. After all, she will be attached to me when I'm not at work :)
Potting training is a common concern. If you are to be part of a forum like this, you should expect that there will be plenty of threads regarding this espeically in a first time dog owner type of thread! I understand how it would be frustrating though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts