Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Along with Nylabones and Kong toys for puppy Desi, yesterday I got a softer, natural, small, rope-style toy (no stuffing) for him to chew. He likes it. Is this okay as long as he is supervised...not left alone in his crate with it? Pet store person told me it's not harmful if pup swallows some of the rope threads.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
Along with Nylabones and Kong toys for puppy Desi, yesterday I got a softer, natural, small, rope-style toy (no stuffing) for him to chew. He likes it. Is this okay as long as he is supervised...not left alone in his crate with it? Pet store person told me it's not harmful if pup swallows some of the rope threads.
No, it is not safe for him to be swallowing rope threads.

Rope toys are good for fetch and tug-of-war but are not meant to be chewed on by a dog that might swallow any of it. Fleece braided tugs are safer than rope tugs because fleece doesn't fray into strings (still not meant as an unsupervised chew though)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Shell. Will look for fleece braided tug. Am new dog mom, so don't know when and when not to follow pet store employee advice. I know they're trying to sell stuff!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I would never leave a rope to be chewed...even if Im in the same room. Buster has a giant rope. He's only allowed to have it when I am actively playing with him. Otherwise its put out of reach.

This used to be a rope toy
[/URL][/IMG]
It was surgically removed from the stomach of an adult male Bernese Mountain Dog
[/URL][/IMG]

*not my dog, not my pics*

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
Thanks, Shell. Will look for fleece braided tug. Am new dog mom, so don't know when and when not to follow pet store employee advice. I know they're trying to sell stuff!
For the typical chain big box store type pet store, the average employee is just going to suggest something that looks fun or is popular with other shoppers and will likely have little background information on things like the source of the product, potential risks of the product, recommended uses of the product (I.e. tug vs chew or supervised only etc)

Some small boutique pet stores will have owners that do a lot of research into the products they carry and can generally tell you a lot about them but even then, you have to consider your own dog's chew and play style for toys and for food, his metabolism and tolerances for variety etc.

With chews, you don't want anything that can get twisted up in the gut or break into chunks large enough to cause a blockage. That is why nylabones are generally considered fairly safe because most dogs can get little more than some scrapings off the bone in one go. Versus something like rawhide where they can swallow a huge chunk of sticky gooey undigestible mess in one gulp.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
You can actually make your own. It's very very easy. Get yourself a $2.50 fleece blanket at Walmart. Cut it into strips, as long or short as you want. Tie three strips together and braid them, then tie the other end. Voila, you've got your rope :) And you can make MANY out of one blanket. They are easier for dogs to tug IME as well and surprisingly durable. One of my favorite toys.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I wouldn't recommend rope toys as chews. I've heard too many horror stories of dogs dying from the strings. Actually, one of Logan's Instagram friends died a few months ago from a rope toy. :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All: Thanks for good guidance. As a novice, it pays to do lots of research. Don't want anything like the suture in the pic to end up on my little baby. Kayota, I love the fleece blanket idea....inexpensive for me and fun for pup.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forgot to mention, Desi has a Kong Binkie. He can hold the heavier end down with his paws while knawing on the ring end. I could use one of these myself for new-parenthood stress management!! Maybe big-box store has volume discount LOL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts