Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does a low/no corn dog food tend to cause less-solid/softer stool?

My Bernese Mountain Dog puppy, now 17 weeks, was on EVO Red Meat Small Bites from when she was at the breeder. So when we got her at 9 weeks, we continued to feed her this food, but we noticed that she had intermittent diarrhea. Sometimes sort of solid, but many times soft stool, like milkshake consistency (sorry- can't think of a better analogy). After we bought a new bag of the same food, we noticed an increase in the diarrhea, and about a week or so later, our puppy had green in her stool and then blood! We took her to the vet, who suggested that we might have gotten a bad bag of food, and the vet put her on antibiotics and then a prescription only Science Diet food (I think it was called I/D or something - formulated for dogs with gastrointestinal issues). The vet also suggested a less protein-rich dog food. We tossed the bad bag.

Our puppy did great on the I/D - her infection cleared up and she had solid stools, and we gradually mixed in a new dog food - Innova Large Breed Puppy food. She's now just eating the Innova Large Breed Puppy, but we noticed that she's back to the soft stools. Is this always going to happen, since the dog food doesn't have corn (bulk-former)? It's not a really runny diarrhea, and she seems fine. But just wondering if we need to switch up again. THANKS!!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Vets get benefits from selling Science Diet. So, I wouldn't go back to that. I would change her over to adult food. It has less protein. Add a little canned pumpkin (2-3 teaspoons per day) in the meantime to firm those babies up. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
my pup is on Innova large breed as well, and hes had no soft stool issues. I guess it all depends on the dogs. Sometimes its soft, but thats prolly from all the mud and grass hes eating outside.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, you think high protein does create some problems with soft stool? I guess it does depend on the dog. Do you think it's worth switching dog foods, or do you think I should wait to see if she gets more used to it?

Thank you!! And I'll try the canned pumpkin!

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Innova (particularly EVO) tends to be rather "rich" for a lot of dogs and packs a huge kcal/cup compared to many other brands.

I would personally recommend trying one of the other top end foods. Diarrhea should not be a daily thing, though I'm not sure how soft you mean when you say "soft", and to be honest I'm not sure I want a graphic description lol.. I would slowly transition her (mixing decreasing amount of the old food with increasing amount of the new until she's eating just the new).

If you have Eagle Pack Holistic in your area I would try that as I and several others with sensitive dogs have had good luck with that brand, and they carry a couple different types (a fish based one, a lamb, one, etc.) from which you can choose or rotate between. It's also usually reasonably priced compared to other brands of similar quality.

Natural Balance has worked well for me too, and is a "limited" ingredient food, as is California Naturals. Solid Gold's lines also seems to work well for a lot of people.

If you do switch try to give it a couple weeks to see if she adjusts to the new food, as it can take a while sometimes, particularly for a sensitive dog (obviously if the reaction is really severe again, then discontinue).

Anyway, just my

ETA: When listing those brands I meant to say the "adult" version. In general those brands are formulated for dogs at all life stages.

·
Registered
43 Posts
didnt notice u were already giving ur dog EVO. I would take him off evo and put him on puppy large breed stuff. Thats what yogi is on. I dont think a puppy should be on evo until atleast 1-2 years. Thats what Innova's site says.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts