Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 months back we decided to get a second pet and adopted a 4 month old Chow mix. She's a wonderful pet, very active, very protective and our Min. Poodle has grown to love her company. Crate training her went very well and she's only released in her crate 1 time since we've owned her. A few things I've noticed is that she eats as though she's starving even though I give her extra food, drinks alot of water, her stool has been milk-shakey soft and she releases gas that smells so bad it wakes me up out of a deep sleep. She was dewormed & spaded back in November the same week we adopted her and had all her puppy shots so I thought all bases were covered . I 1st thought it was a nervous issue due to adjusting to a new home. I then thought it was a food issue so I switched from Science Diet Lamb & Rice to all natural Blue Buffalo chicken and still no change.

How long would it normally take to notice change in her stool after switching her food ?
I read that I should add some plain yogert to her food. How much should I add ?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not sure about the yogurt, or how long it takes to notice a difference with foods, but canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie) can help add fiber and harden stool. I know that when my guy had some soft stools, I read it can be a symptom of over-feeding. When I went back and analyzed the amount of food, I was overdoing it a bit. I cut back and within 2 days I've noticed his stool hardening. Still soft though, so I might try the pumpkin thing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response. I did a search and read that a tablespoon of canned pumpkin should firm up her stools so I'll try that. If no change by the weekend I'll have to take her in for a Vet visit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts